Author Topic: proxy load without textures  (Read 2070 times)

2022-07-28, 19:07:03

Architex

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello corona world.

Still no logical reason for not load textures after create proxy object.

My process:
Add one 3d object asset.
Optimize, organize and texturize asset.
Create and export proxy.
Testing render OK.

Then:
Load the proxy .cgeo file created before.
Proxy inserted in scene.
Proxy without textures.

Any fix for this?
This issues seems to occur for a long time as i can read on google and through some old poats here.

Suggestions?
Why i can not start a complete new 3ds max instance and add some proxy's already created in my folders?

Using 3ds max 2022.2
Corona 8 (hotfix2)
Windows 11 pro.
All clean installs and updates ok.

Best regards

2022-07-30, 10:48:10
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hi,

The reason why materials are not loaded with proxies is simple - that's because materials aren't saved with proxies. That's how proxies are designed and it's not a bug. This might, or might not change in the future, but for now, if you want proxies with materials, your best option is to save them inside Max file and merge them to your scene from there when needed.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-08-02, 09:53:54
Reply #2

Architex

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

The reason why materials are not loaded with proxies is simple - that's because materials aren't saved with proxies. That's how proxies are designed and it's not a bug. This might, or might not change in the future, but for now, if you want proxies with materials, your best option is to save them inside Max file and merge them to your scene from there when needed.

Hi, thanks for your answer.
So, lets say. I can add any objects into my scene and convert them to corona proxy. Save them in a proper folder.
I can not load them directly from those proxy folder, but instead i can copy or merge proxys between scene files.
Is that correct?

I am starting a big Master Plan site project. We need to optimize a lots of file parts that will be added into a Master 3ds max File.
We have: Buildings + Streets + Cars + Trees + Project Architecture.
Made those files, like cars, peoples, trees with corona proxys.
Then i will use Xref Scene to insert them inside Master 3ds file.

Is this a good method?
Should i change any thoughts here?

Best Regards.

2022-08-02, 11:33:54
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
So, lets say. I can add any objects into my scene and convert them to corona proxy. Save them in a proper folder.
I can not load them directly from those proxy folder, but instead i can copy or merge proxys between scene files.
Is that correct?

Not sure what you mean by "save them in a proper folder", but no, you absolutely can load proxies directly from proxy file, it's just you will not be able to transfer materials that way. If you want to retain materials, then saving proxies inside max files and then merging them in to your scenes from there, is the easiest way. Alternative is to save mat files alongside proxy files and load materials separately, but i don't think that's very convenient workflow.

I am starting a big Master Plan site project. We need to optimize a lots of file parts that will be added into a Master 3ds max File.
We have: Buildings + Streets + Cars + Trees + Project Architecture.
Made those files, like cars, peoples, trees with corona proxys.
Then i will use Xref Scene to insert them inside Master 3ds file.

Is this a good method?
Should i change any thoughts here?

Well, if you're planning to use xrefs, then using proxies makes little sense, you'll hardly get any benefit from that, but instead you will have to sacrifice half of the xrefs' benefits. On the other hand, i only have experience in using xref objects and not xref scenes, so there might be some things that i'm not aware of, so do your own research before deciding what's best approach for you.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-08-02, 14:56:28
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Proxies are geometry files like OBJ, FBX, etc. They do not store bitmaps or information where to find them. I would suggest creating a "library" scene with multiple assets and then merging assets from this library scene into your target scene.

It would be definitely nice to have the ability to store own assets in Cosmos.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-08-05, 16:25:49
Reply #5

Architex

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I see ,and understand both your answers.

But can any one explain a little better; (despite this matter will probably get away from this topic); a good method workflow to make big complex scenes in Architecture Master Plans, like (small city parts, with all assets important to it: trees, bushes, grass, terrains, streets, vehicles, buildings, surroundings, and the architecture project itself).

Thanks to all contributes.