Author Topic: Daily Build C4D  (Read 2340 times)

2019-05-11, 18:51:14

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys at Corona,

any idea why in the Core 4 daily build for C4D OSX, certain areas appear pretty much blurry?
Even when no denoising is used.

I played around with the camera... aperture, focus point... almost no difference.
It also makes no difference, if I double the number of passes !

Some areas, which are orthogonal to the camera appear to be a bit sharper / with more detail.

Please check out the image attached.

Any suggestions, what I might do wrong in Core 4 Beta?

Greetings!

P.S.    ... Also what the heck is this "bi-color" GI / rounded edge and the strange structure on the wall? 
             It happens when the HDR- Sun shines directly into the room One has to turn the HDR by approx. 90° in order to make it vanish.
             In former versions e.g Core 1.7 , this strange behavior NEVER occurred. GI lighting & light distribution was uniform.

To me this is also clearly a bug !

Honestly, Core 1.7 was the best Corona... unfortunately it doesn't work wir C4D R20... otherwise I would not use 4 Beta.
« Last Edit: 2019-05-11, 20:56:22 by Designerman77 »

2019-05-13, 11:15:26
Reply #1

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Hi Designerman77,

I have a hard time seeing any blurriness in your image, because the jpeg compression introduces much more pronounced artifacts.

Also, it would be great to see your scene to be able to figure out what's happening.

2019-05-13, 13:07:16
Reply #2

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Houska,

thanks a lot for your quick reply!

Believe me, JPG artifacts or not... the couch on the left does look as blurry as you see it - even in hi-res renders.
Actually, the whole render looks blurry to me. If you look at the ceiling lamps, the curtains, etc... all blurry
I did a render with tripple render time ... same result. Still blurry.

You can check it out yourself, using the C4D-scene in this Dropbox-link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5h5ef6xco4bmb4e/Test%20.zip?dl=0

Also please have a look at th artifacts on he opposite was, apparently caused by HDR position.

I'm curious what outcome you will have and if you have a trick to get the images clear and sharp again - as they always have been
in previous Corona versions.

Thanks for the feedback on the scene.

Cheers!

2019-05-13, 14:02:17
Reply #3

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Lowering the value of the image filter seems to help.

But it makes the antialiasing on edges much words... of course.

2019-05-13, 14:58:05
Reply #4

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
What about this?

I disabled the filter shader in the HDRI material because it was causing some weird negative samples (we will have to look at that), changed bitmap sampling in Fabric.1 material to MIP to match the other two on the couch and I also turned on the high-quality image filtering.

2019-05-13, 16:21:36
Reply #5

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Houska,

thanks a lot for taking time to test.

After having recreated your settings.. in my scene there is literally no change... or almost no change.

The only thing that improves the details is: Imagefilter (tent) to something like 1.7 or 1.5, combined with Camera sharpening (amount 3, blur radius 1.3).
Than you have more details but also much worse antialiasing on edges.

Switching on hi quality filtering pops up the message "does not work with CPU AI denoiser".
So it is only meant to be combined with  Corona "native" denoise?

I switched it on once, nevertheless...

Like mentioned, I see absolutely no improvement

If I find a method how to smooth only edges in Photoshop, maybe I`ll take n aggressive filter number like 1.5

But however, not very fulfilling to work around in every image.

Greetings!

« Last Edit: 2019-05-13, 16:48:51 by Designerman77 »

2019-05-13, 18:48:46
Reply #6

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Regarding the high quality filtering - currently it cannot work with any of the AI denoisers due to technical limitations. If you turn it on with an AI denoiser regardless, the resulting image will be splotchy, so don't do that...

2019-05-13, 18:54:26
Reply #7

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for that info about the high quality fiter, Houska!
Good to know.

I'm curious if you can figure out why this certain blur occurs in the images. Seems to be a problem of the AI denoiser... ? Not really sure.

I would use the "native" Corona denoiser, if the problem with noisy rounded edges and much less denoise on bumps had been solved meanwhile.
But unfortunately it has not been solved yet... a pitty.

2019-05-13, 21:24:59
Reply #8

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Photoshop sharpening filter...
For the moment it helps.

Nevertheless it would be nice, if your development team had a closer look at those two problems: burryness and weird GI when the sun from HDRIs shines into a room.

Greetings!

2019-05-15, 23:14:35
Reply #9

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Houska,

I think the described problem of lack of sharpness and especially detail was connected to my own mistake.

The reference render that appeared more detailed, had been rendered in 4000 pix... on an old machine in 50 minutes !
The "less sharper" ones were only 1800 px... rendered on my new machine in only... 5 minutes.

LOL

Now I made a test render in 4000 px on the new machine in 12 minutes...

Same rich details...

Sorry, sometimes the bug is indeed the users´own stupidity.

Greetings!