Author Topic: normal  (Read 4277 times)

2018-08-16, 15:47:46

Gruender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I have a simple question.
I created geometry and I wanna render it with a parallel camera to create maps from it.
So far so good, but the rendered normal map looks strange, completely different from all other normal maps I know (mostly green, usually they look mostly blueish).

Hopefully somebody can gimme an advice!

Many thx in advance!

Cheers...

2018-08-16, 21:01:24
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If the camera was indeed parralel to rendered surface, then i guess greenish (or redish) normal map is expected. You should get blueish normal map when the camera will be perpendicilar to a surface. Could you show your scene setup screenshot and/or normal map that you're getting?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-08-17, 08:43:32
Reply #2

Gruender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Simple setup, just cam straight from above on a sphere.

First pic is strange corona result, second vray result (that is what I expected to get).

Cheers...

2018-08-17, 10:38:41
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If it's rendered from exactly the same camera position, then i guess it's difference between one renderer giving world space normals (Corona) and the other one - object space normals. If you want to bake normal maps that you can reuse as tangent ones, then you must render from top down position (camera above surface and looking perfectly down).

2018-08-17, 10:41:36
Reply #4

Gruender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Camera is setup exactly this way and you are right, I thought the same with world and object based normals.

2018-08-20, 13:09:24
Reply #5

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Yes, normal pass shows world normals. But as Romullus said, it's possible to rotate the camera so that the normals match what you'd like to see. See attached picture

2018-08-20, 13:29:46
Reply #6

Gruender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah I see, so I have to render from "rear" view to get correct normals?!
I was l doing that from above and changed channels in Photoshop to get what I need. ;)
Will try that later on, thx for your help.

Will there be a view dependend normals pass someday?

Cheers.

2018-08-20, 13:32:58
Reply #7

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile

Well, I don't see why that shouldn't be possible. It could be a checkbox in the normal pass for example. Will ask the core guys...

2018-08-20, 13:43:25
Reply #8

Gruender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great! :)

2018-08-20, 14:12:46
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Ah I see, so I have to render from "rear" view to get correct normals?!
I was l doing that from above and changed channels in Photoshop to get what I need. ;)

I shoud've said that you have to render from Z+ direction, because in different programs, UP is either Z or Y or whatever. My bad.

Well, I don't see why that shouldn't be possible. It could be a checkbox in the normal pass for example. Will ask the core guys...

I've asked similar thing for 3ds max and the answer was NO. Maybe you will be more lucky than me :]

2018-08-22, 13:35:08
Reply #10

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile

Hello again, Gruender!

So the thing is that we don't want to have all kinds of settings in the UI when there could possibly be another way to achieve the same result. We want to avoid UI clutter as much as possible. That being said, what do you ultimately seek to achieve? Could there be another way?

Edit: Of course, there's always the possibility to rotate the scene so that the view coords and world coords match. But what I meant with "another way" was, whether there might be a way that is simpler and more elegant.

2018-08-22, 14:00:56
Reply #11

Gruender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What I wanna achieve is quite simple, I wanna create my own normal maps to use in textures based on modeled geometry.
It is as simple as that. Vray has a normal pass included which is showing view depended normals.

Just to clearify, I try to adapt our workflows to Corona so we can switch when it is finally released. ;)

Cheers...

2018-08-22, 14:17:33
Reply #12

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
What I wanna achieve is quite simple, I wanna create my own normal maps to use in textures based on modeled geometry.
It is as simple as that. Vray has a normal pass included which is showing view depended normals.

Just to clearify, I try to adapt our workflows to Corona so we can switch when it is finally released. ;)

Cheers...

I see, so you make textures by modelling a (for example) stone wall geometry with the individual stones and all the details and then you want to generate diffuse and normal maps from that... Seems like a reasonable request to me!

2018-08-22, 14:26:30
Reply #13

Gruender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Absolutely correct!

Thx for your understanding and I would say this workflow is quite common.

Cheers...

2018-08-22, 14:32:07
Reply #14

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Thx for your understanding and I would say this workflow is quite common.

Well, there are still no guarantees that this will be implemented, because we have tons of feature requests, but at least now we understand each other :-)