Author Topic: [RESOLVED] 32 bit to 16bit (2019)  (Read 7991 times)

2019-12-08, 11:49:14
Reply #15

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
How does Corona VFB address this issue?

2019-12-08, 12:23:43
Reply #16

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It doesn't need to. First of all, it always displays same bit depth image and it only allows to zoom in discrete steps 2:1, 1:1, 1:2 For that, simplest and most primitive interpolation method of nearest neighbours, is enough.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-12-08, 12:28:30
Reply #17

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if the issue will still be present, but when you use certain zoom values in Photoshop, the image is not aliased anymore. When I want a clear picture I use the ALT CTRL  and plus minus from numpad for zoom, and not the mouse wheel.

100%, 50%, 25% would behave more like a 1:1 scaling. And maybe also 75%, 66.67%, 33.33%. These values will be automatically used if you use those keyboard shortcuts.

2019-12-12, 19:11:16
Reply #18

patrick.testa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maybe I'm making a useless comment but I'd like to share my workflow for 32bit images in Photoshop. It works very well for me:
1 I save .exr images with all the extra channels I may need (reflect refract, etc.)
2 I compose them in Photoshop in 32bit mode adding reflections where I want and other general corrections
3 I group all layers and make the group a smart object
4 I convert to 16bit and when Photoshop asks if I want to flatten the image I say no; in that way the colors are preserved (at least to my eyes...)
5 I make further corrections using Camera raw and other filters that will always be editable since they are applied to the smart object
6 If I need it, I can always open the smart object and make further adjustments to the 32 bit layers and when I close it the 16 bit image will be updated
7 I save a final Jpg

I hope it can helpful to anyone!

Best,

Patrick

2019-12-13, 13:19:28
Reply #19

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Maybe I'm making a useless comment but I'd like to share my workflow for 32bit images in Photoshop. It works very well for me:
1 I save .exr images with all the extra channels I may need (reflect refract, etc.)
2 I compose them in Photoshop in 32bit mode adding reflections where I want and other general corrections
4 I convert to 16bit and when Photoshop asks if I want to flatten the image I say no; in that way the colors are preserved (at least to my eyes...)
5 I make further corrections using Camera raw and other filters that will always be editable since they are applied to the smart object
6 If I need it, I can always open the smart object and make further adjustments to the 32 bit layers and when I close it the 16 bit image will be updated
7 I save a final Jpg

This is common and smart workflow, but I will comment on this because I've seen one big misconception people have about this concept:

-Photoshop doesn't work in bit-depth of the smart layer, but only the actual environment. So there so no dynamic range available with adjustment applied to this smart layer within 16bit mode, the dynamic range is only available within the smart layer environment (if that is retained as 32bit).
-CameraRaw adjustments like Highlight compression,etc.. are thus working the same way as if you applied them to jpeg (because both 8&16bit PS environment are clipped integer gamma-corrected environments).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-12-13, 13:20:43
Reply #20

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Would the compression (interpolation) issue appear on a high DPI monitor when fit to screen in Photoshop?

The higher is the DPI the lesser the issue is, high resolution lessens the effects of aliasing. Work only in 25/33.33/50/66.66/75/100/etc.. zoom increments.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-12-16, 10:09:24
Reply #21

patrick.testa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
7 I save a final Jpg

This is common and smart workflow, but I will comment on this because I've seen one big misconception people have about this concept:

-Photoshop doesn't work in bit-depth of the smart layer, but only the actual environment. So there so no dynamic range available with adjustment applied to this smart layer within 16bit mode, the dynamic range is only available within the smart layer environment (if that is retained as 32bit).
-CameraRaw adjustments like Highlight compression,etc.. are thus working the same way as if you applied them to jpeg (because both 8&16bit PS environment are clipped integer gamma-corrected environments).

You're absolutely right! Dynamic range adjustments need to be made exclusively in the 32bit environment. What I do in 16 bit are only final adjustments that are more difficult or imposible to do in 32 bit mode, like white point compensation, that camera raw handles well and easily or a little bit of smart sharpen in certain areas of the image... Also, I think that working in camera raw in 16bit works much better than in 8bit because of the higher color depth; it's like working on .dng images from cameras instead of jpgs...

2019-12-16, 18:01:19
Reply #22

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Here we are, over 10 years later:
https://clearps.com/photoshop-discussions/threads/74156-why-is-quot-zoomed-out-quot-image-low-quality/
HOW ABOUT GIVING THE USERS A TOGGLE BETWEEN "SMOOTH AND ACCURATE" AND "CRAPPY AND INACCURATE (DEFAULT)"
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-12-21, 02:49:15
Reply #23

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
lmao^

Man, that post is **actually** from 2008. Respect.

2020-02-13, 07:22:11
Reply #24

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I've created a short video describing the issue I was facing in the original post because I have not arrived at a satisfactory solution - I have taken the notes / advice posted in this thread in mind.

video (watch x1.5 speed)

2020-02-13, 10:04:02
Reply #25

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think you've already been told, you need to view your images at certain zoom levels - 400%, 200%, 100%, 50%, 25%, etc. By viewing the image at arbitrary zoom level, you're getting unpredictable "untrue" result.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-02-13, 10:50:29
Reply #26

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
That's right, although that suggestion does not resolve the issue; a comparison of the discretized zoom levels is not illustrated in the video.