Author Topic: Corona Renderer 1.7 for 3ds Max Daily Build  (Read 56397 times)

2017-07-07, 12:08:09
Reply #15

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
Corona camera - What features will this have?
definitely a dream comes true. I guess it will be PhysicalCamera + CoronaCamMod + Surprises ;)

2017-07-09, 16:51:03
Reply #16

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Corona camera - What features will this have?
definitely a dream comes true. I guess it will be PhysicalCamera + CoronaCamMod + Surprises ;)

I really hope it manages to combine all of the critical lens features like shift/tilt and the cameramod controls, so you don't need to keep flipping between two modifiers. And of course an end to the constant IR refreshing when using shift/tilt on physcam. Really excited for this!
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-07-09, 17:21:18
Reply #17

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
And of course an end to the constant IR refreshing when using shift/tilt on physcam. Really excited for this!

That's the reason for constant IR refresh ?

If so, would rather have this fixed and then need to use custom camera.

I have like zero issues with Physical camera otherwise then.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-07-09, 17:23:20
Reply #18

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
And of course an end to the constant IR refreshing when using shift/tilt on physcam. Really excited for this!

That's the reason for constant IR refresh ?

If so, would rather have this fixed and then need to use custom camera.

I have like zero issues with Physical camera otherwise then.

IRRC they can't fix this - it's an AD issue. Far easier for them to write (and opens the door for lots of other cool stuff) to have a proper coronacamera.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-07-10, 09:58:43
Reply #19

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Yipp. The physical cam is bugged in several ways. Try to animate/key shifts and soon you get the standard "Oh ok, I´ll apply the shifts as scaling to the camera object now because I live in a program by the you-know-who-company and don´t know anymore what do to now." - at least. Not to speak of how ISO vs. EV is handled when animating. And undo is all but reliable.

I´m also very excited about the Corona camera because it will solve almost all those Rendersettings vs. CameraMod vs. Camera vs. cVFB issues. But when I think about what it has to handle, it´s easy to imagine that it will get a large and critical part of Corona. So it will (hopefully) take its time.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2017-07-12, 20:19:00
Reply #20

PKonst

• Active Users
    • View Profile
To be fair new Physicalcam was written in co-op with Autodesk and taking into account that Ondra has access to Autodesk 3dsmax beta board it may have more sense fixing all the bugs / interop with Corona by connecting with Autodesk,
than writing new cam type.

2017-07-12, 20:39:12
Reply #21

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
That would be more sensible solution indeed, but the problem is that it would take at least couple of years for Autodesk to fix those bugs (hopefully they wouldn't introduce new ones in the process). Also that would leave not upgrading users to live with buggy camera for a looong time.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-07-12, 21:42:23
Reply #22

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
That would be more sensible solution indeed, but the problem is that it would take at least couple of years for Autodesk to fix those bugs (hopefully they wouldn't introduce new ones in the process). Also that would leave not upgrading users to live with buggy camera for a looong time.

Also, it's not just about fixing the bugs with the physcam - it's hopefully about tying in all those standard physcam controls (like Tilt/Shift etc.) and bundling in the cameramod controls, so it's all there in one single max entity. It will make tweaking stuff so much quicker and easier. It might also open up the possibility for some more radical features, since it will be entirely under Corona's development. Far better long-term prospects there I reckon!
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-07-12, 23:32:13
Reply #23

PKonst

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If I'm not mistaken, current physical cam is partially (or solely) based on Vray's one, so there is a chance that these issues isn't completely Autodesk fault.
One of the reason of implementing that one - was wish to unify 3dsmax and vray cameras.

As I said earlier, it make sense for Corona devs to contact Autodesk and try to improve physical cam instead. Their work may be even paid (Autodesk often pays 3rd party devs for such stuff, including Boomer Labs for already implemented and wip stuff).
Also, 3dsmax devs are quite responsive during current beta cycle

2017-07-13, 10:26:55
Reply #24

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
If I'm not mistaken, current physical cam is partially (or solely) based on Vray's one, so there is a chance that these issues isn't completely Autodesk fault.
One of the reason of implementing that one - was wish to unify 3dsmax and vray cameras.

As I said earlier, it make sense for Corona devs to contact Autodesk and try to improve physical cam instead. Their work may be even paid (Autodesk often pays 3rd party devs for such stuff, including Boomer Labs for already implemented and wip stuff).
Also, 3dsmax devs are quite responsive during current beta cycle

I disagree. If there's a choice to be made between trying to persuade AD to "fix" an already mostly working physcam, or letting the Corona chaps develop their own one, which will address those issues and with Corona fully integrated into it, is there really a choice? Seems obvious which one is going to 1) take less time 2) result in the best camera.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-07-13, 11:54:28
Reply #25

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The Physical Camera lent a lot of code from VrayPhysCam. In fact, I remember seeing Vlado's comment that he's not 100% happy with Autodesk's implementation and decided to leave the original PhysCam in Vray's code, it's still accessible by mxs.

Getting Autodesk to fix the issues can easily take a year or two, as can be seen with various defects and requests. Even if they get around doing it soon you still don't know if things are going to be made easier for 3rd parties to build upon, or if new bugs are going to be introduced. There are some options that are ART-specific (bokeh controls, vignette) and don't match Corona's feature set. I'm all for a new camera, and maybe they can do some things better, like preview planes being bent accordingly to real world optics (for example, the focus plane is flat which is wrong, it *should* respect true distance from focal point and be spherical, applies to all camera the planes btw). Heck, we could even get a 'stored positions' rollout where we can conveniently store different positions for a camera etc. I'm all for a fresh new start.

2017-07-13, 12:07:15
Reply #26

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
we could even get a 'stored positions' rollout where we can conveniently store different positions for a camera etc.

It is called Timeline and works for every object and almost every value :) But yes, I know what you mean and I totally agree.

Good Luck

2017-07-13, 13:18:27
Reply #27

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
we could even get a 'stored positions' rollout where we can conveniently store different positions for a camera etc.

It is called Timeline and works for every object and almost every value :) But yes, I know what you mean and I totally agree.

Good Luck
Not when you render an animation and need your camera to be static, though ;)

2017-07-13, 14:19:59
Reply #28

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH

Position/Rotation List Controller. Then you could even blend by animating weights.

Your turn (maybe one last time before romullus points to the sideline ;)

Good Luck

2017-07-13, 15:00:11
Reply #29

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Position/Rotation List Controller. Then you could even blend by animating weights.

Your turn (maybe one last time before romullus points to the sideline ;)

Good Luck
I probably would't want to blend...and I would need to do the same thing for the target - way too many clicks for my taste. In any case, wouldn't it be WAY easier to have a rollout where I just hit a 'Store position' button? :D