Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520359 times)

2019-12-03, 13:28:36
Reply #690

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I wonder how much the above from Optimus is just hype but I presume there will be some reviews in upcoming weeks. 200 dollars is solid amount of money but it's looking nicely overbuilt.

I just sprang for the TR3 block and the res/pump combo (some nice black friday discounts on their site).

According to some tests of their Intel block, they were shaving off 6-7 degrees C in direct comparison to a Heatkiller block (arguably one of the best WC block manufacturers):

I can only imagine that those temps would scale similarly due to the large surface area of the TR3 heatspreader.

Still not sure what model of TR3 I'm going for, think I'm going to wait until January for the 64 core reviews.

Got some other nice bits too: 2xHWlabs GTS 480 + 1xGTS 360 rads, going to fit them in the Phanteks Luxe 2 case. Now just waiting for Noctua to finally release their black nf-a12x25 fans!

Vray who?

2019-12-03, 15:00:45
Reply #691

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A big limitation in temperatures is down to thermal transfer, a big heatspreader already helps hence why only TR4 designed coolers should be used, but then the CPU block makes big difference.

I came upon these guys yesterday and looks like they do a very high-end parts. The "competitor" in their comparison graphs is Heatkiller IV, the best block on market already,so if their product could improve upon that, it would really be something.

https://optimuspc.com/products/absolute-cpu-block-threadripper-3

200 bucks just for block? cringy I would say. One thing I know for sure is, I like my liver and I use it all the time...

2019-12-03, 15:15:29
Reply #692

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Now just waiting for Noctua to finally release their black nf-a12x25 fans!

Haha yeah so am I :- ) For the 3950X I bought the current edition and with the glass-coated surface it's somewhat "not terrible", but still.

200 bucks just for block? cringy I would say. One thing I know for sure is, I like my liver and I use it all the time...

The usual premium for 'bespoke' small-volume products, don't even go looking what the SFF cases cost. TRX is becoming a pricey platform if you want to go for really optimal build with the cost of motherboards and custom loop.

It's still great value compared to the rather crappy prebuilt Dell/HP/IBM workstations.
« Last Edit: 2019-12-03, 15:19:03 by Juraj Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-12-03, 16:48:34
Reply #693

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I know you're right, I just wanted to avoid watercooling. It seems I can't . :(

2019-12-03, 17:01:33
Reply #694

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I know you're right, I just wanted to avoid watercooling. It seems I can't . :(

I am pretty sure it's completely fine on air. The higher temperatures aren't an issue if they aren't critical. Unless your room ambient is pretty damn high :- ).
Even Phoronix run all the benchmarks of 3970X on Noctua UH-14s without any issue. Add case like Fractal Define S (same as Define R6 almost) which allow tripple 140mm fan in front and you're good.

3990X ? That will be definitely water-only but the 24c & 32c are manageable. (Funny that 24c is hotter, not sure if this is fluke or always)

Kitguru even ran the chip under inferior Wraithripper (so big, yet sucks) cooler, did +200 MHz PBO, and it survived...though I wouldn't do that PBO ;- )

« Last Edit: 2019-12-03, 18:49:07 by Juraj Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2019-12-03, 18:04:31
Reply #695

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would be possible to run safely on max CPU (not overclocked) all day long just with Noctua UH-14s (3960x or 3970x)?

2019-12-03, 18:54:44
Reply #696

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It would be possible to run safely on max CPU (not overclocked) all day long just with Noctua UH-14s (3960x or 3970x)?

I believe that yes. But there are factors to consider:

- The case needs good air-flow. Strong frontal intake is necessary (if you keep the front cover for accoustics), or at least medium intake if you have open-front case.
- Good room ambient. <25C at best, not hotter. Better sit in AC room in summer ;- )
- Be wary that open-air GPUs (like nVidia RTX reference design) add a lot of heat into the case. For CPU & Board temperatures, it's best to use the blower-style GPUs that dump the heat straight out of the case through back shroud. You can still use open-air GPUs, but then you need to consider opening the top of the case, which is usually rather noisy solution.

2019-12-03, 20:53:54
Reply #697

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well.... the temperatures at my place fluctuate somewhere between 28C/30C during summer days and to be honest last summer was pure nightmare. Unfortunately I can't install real AC here for many reasons so the only way to drop down temperature is to use fans or other AC like devices.

As you mentioned good case with exceptionally good air flow is the key here. Also we can wait and pray for new noctua cooling solutions to come, should be available christmas 2023.

In meantime few cheap possible solutions to cool down our beloved workstations:

2019-12-04, 10:10:05
Reply #698

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website

- Be wary that open-air GPUs (like nVidia RTX reference design) add a lot of heat into the case. For CPU & Board temperatures, it's best to use the blower-style GPUs that dump the heat straight out of the case through back shroud. You can still use open-air GPUs, but then you need to consider opening the top of the case, which is usually rather noisy solution.

Heh, I've got two 2080tis plugged in directly to the motherboard and while they don't mind having 2 slots between them the CPU above can peak 5-10 degrees hotter than it normally would when everything in the system is doing rendering (CPU + GPU). On average though I think its a difference of a couple degrees but when denoising in Corona hits it then all bets are off, I had peak temps go from 67 to 74 degrees. Those are peaks though so usually its a bit less of a difference.

Thats in a Fractal Design XL R2 with two fans on top, 1 at the front and 1 at the back.

For reference, the hottest GPU peaks at 67 degrees although granted, I have both limited to 70% TDP (180W per GPU). They are your regular aftermarket GPUs so not the blower types. The CPU is a dual 2696v3 so not exactly a chill chip either.

I suspect there is potential for better airflow and I'd also profit a bit by moving the top most GPU down a PCI-E slot as its very close to the Noctua D14 coolers. All in all,  I think when everything is on peak load things just get hot in there.

Oh and I did have a 2080ti blower as well and I think the temps were even more under control then :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-12-04, 11:36:17
Reply #699

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The peak temperatures were enough to shut-down a lot of PCs on this forum, at least the past two years there were lot of "Why does my PC shut-down with corona rendering?".
I am surprised how "efficient" the denoising part is in this :- ).

2019-12-05, 14:52:44
Reply #700

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Surprisingly, over on Otoy's forums people had problems with PSUs (if I recall correctly that is) when denoising kicked in. Denoising is tough, man! :))
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-12-06, 20:51:55
Reply #701

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
Stumbled across this over on reddit but Cyberpower is selling 3rd gen Threadripper at a pretty low price. With mostly identical parts the build to do it yourself is $1000 more, not to mention you can't really find any place that has them in stock.

Interesting enough if you drop all the stuff down to the to basic and apply a 5% code they have it comes out to $1961 after shipping and taxes. For a 3970x with a Mobo. Your sort of getting a motherboard for free.
« Last Edit: 2019-12-06, 21:33:13 by JoeVallard »

2019-12-06, 21:42:21
Reply #702

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Can't even find that on their shitty website. Link would have been more useful than screenshot.

2019-12-07, 02:24:50
Reply #704

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
Can't even find that on their shitty website. Link would have been more useful than screenshot.

Its the first build you see on the daily deal. the 3960x is a decent deal but the 3970x they only have it as +$300 which makes it a great deal. Your buying the CPU and getting everything else free!
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Daily-Deal-AMD-Threadripper

5% Coupon Code "CPFB5"

Only ships to US and Canada but thats a crazy price, says it wont be assembled till Dec 26th or after.

The best savings I can seem to come up with is 3970x, ASRock TRX40 TAICHI, Rx 580, 512gb m2 and dropping Case to lowest one/PSU to lowest one/RAM to lowest one/2nd Hard drive/Windows 10/Keyboard/Mouse. This puts the build up to around $2000 after taxes. You can use the Taichi and sell the Case/PSU/Cooler/GPU/RAM around $300-400 worth of parts roughly.
« Last Edit: 2019-12-07, 03:15:47 by JoeVallard »