Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 519981 times)

2019-12-21, 23:49:15
Reply #720

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So this is kind of fun to see, new thermal cooling solutions are starting to pop up apparently. This one kind of takes an industrial grade cooling and places it into your box in a way. Fun stuff and apparently it could help keeping the super duper overclocked 128 core TRs at least a little bit in check :P

How can they hang that brick vertically. That motherboard must be bending like hell.

2019-12-23, 10:02:23
Reply #721

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@Lupaz,
Supposedly this is a prototype. If I'm not mistaken the "real deal" should be smaller. Fun to see innovation on the field of cooling if you ask me :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2020-01-02, 19:48:19
Reply #722

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This thread continues to be such a great resource!  Thanks all, especially Juraj for continuing to share all his research.

We had a short term demand for another high end desktop so we decided to build a 3970X system:

3970x AMD
Define S2
Gigabyte Aorus Extreme TRX40 (for the potential quad GPU setup and the 10gbe)
Seasonic Prime 1000 Platinum
(2) 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVME
(4) Noctua NF-A12's
Noctua NH-U14S TR4 SP3
4 x 16 Trident Z 3600 mhz
Asus 2080 Ti Turbo (blower model, we have a bunch of these and are good for aircooled cases because they exhaust of course.  Also good if we go double or quad setup)

Anyway, should be building it in a week so I'll report back.  Hopefully all these parts are good choices.  We need a new monitor too so I might go with Juraj's recommended BenQ PD3200U.

We also might build a 3990x when it comes out.  I could see building a slightly lower end and more compact machine, moving the 3970X to that, putting 3990x into THIS build since the Aorus Extreme and 1kw Seasonic would probably be a good fit for it.  I know the NH-U14S probably wouldn't suffice but that's why I went with the Define S2...allow for a custom loop if that's what the 3990x ends up needing.

Anyway, the parts are ordered but please let me know if I made any dumb mistakes!

Thanks all,
Daniel

2020-01-04, 22:57:27
Reply #723

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Oh boi, nice build there :- )

Does Aorus Xtreme fit in Define S2 (or R6)? I am not that sure, it's XL-ATX, 4cm taller (in bottom part) than ATX( or E-ATX which are wider instead).

Any particular reason for NF-A12x25 fans as case fans in mid-tower that fits 140mm fans ? They are the best fans on market, in 120mm size. But if your case fits 140..it's still better to go with 140s. I used NF-A12x25 for my small Define-C build which only fits 120mm fans.
(on other hand, with radiators it doesn't matter, 2x140 is the same as 3x120, just like 3x140 is the same as 4x120).

Good choice with the blower GPU. Yeah they get bad rep but with good case air flow they don't throttle, and the CPU+Memory+VRM is much better off.

Since you got such a fast memory, can you do a test please? You will probably get it running just fine at 3600/CL16 if you only populate 4 dimm slots.
But can you test which one is faster in Corona, the stock 3600/16 vs 3200/14 settings when manually input ? Just to see what makes Corona truly faster, the increased Infinity-fabric or the overall lowered latency from memory.

I can't wait for CES news to come. Really wonder what they gonna show about 3980X/3990X Threadrippers.

The BenQ PD3200U is my favorite mostly because it's the most high-end sRGB only display. Every other is wide-gamut, which just sucks for us because Corona/3dsMax lacks any sort of color-management.
I want the Apple XDR display so much heh. I hate the IPS glow, the shitty backlighting, the matte foil... even the 4K & 32" is not sharp at all to my liking anymore.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-01-05, 09:04:46
Reply #724

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm happy to do those speed tests, I'll be curious as well.  I'm just hoping the G.Skill works, the QVL sku wasn't an exact match but it was close and my current threadripper works well on G.Skill.  The QVL never seems to be really complete.  Again, a slight risk but worst case scenario I quickly order some other RAM and return this.  I'll let you know.

Good catch on the XL-ATX, I was thinking of it as E-ATX but you are right.  I'll find out on Tuesday if it fits.  My guess is it won't, now that I look closer at my existing Define S (not S2) with my old Taichi with my 1950x.  If the Define S2 doesn't fit, do you have any recommendations for an XL-ATX compatible case?

My only hesitation on the BenQ is widespread complaints about a firmware issue causing flickering.  Have you encountered that at all?

The parts are starting to roll in, got my 3970x yesterday :)  Everything else by Tuesday or so.

2020-01-05, 11:42:48
Reply #725

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Fractal Define XL R2 (not very water cooling friendly), Lian-Li O11 XL ROG might be the best. It fits even Asus ROG Dominus which was 35x35 cm :- )

Yes the BenQ super occasionally flicker 2-3 times. ASUS ProArt PA32UC might be very good higher-end alternative that also has hardware calibration that lets you OSD clamp into sRGB only mode. Has also FALD, but only 384 zones.
ASUS ProArt PA32UCX is the best monitor on market right now (if we ignore Apple XDR existence for moment), but is very pricey if you need 2 or 3 of them ;- ).

BenQ also has PV3200PT, which is professional version of 3200U with wide gamut and hardware calibratation, but if I were to spend more money than 1K, I would already want some FALD backlighting and at least some HDR capacity.

They might reveal some better monitors on CES.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-01-05, 20:23:02
Reply #726

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the monitor recommendations.  That Apple display looks amazing.  I have a friend who works at Apple and can get me a 10-20% discount sometimes, but even still...I'm sure there are a handful of caveats with running it with Windows?  The BenQ flicker doesn't sound too bad, and I don't know if there's a good reason to have a display so many leagues better than any of my clients that will be viewing our imagery.  But still...

It looks like based on raw space the Aorux Xtreme TRX40 would fit in the Define S2 but I bet there will be issues with the PCI slots.  I think that's what you get with an XL-ATX form factor, right?  PCI slots are spaced out or added to, and that pushes the bottom of the board 'down.' 

The Lian-Li looks like a good case and almost as minimal aesthetically as a Fractal, but actually I can't find anywhere that it's compatible with the XL-ATX form factor either.  Have you seen that anywhere or have any first hand knowledge?  It's obviously a large case, I just wonder about alignments etc. if it is not specifically listed.  This is what I see on their spec sheet:  'E-ATX/ATX/M-ATX/ITX (need to purchase an extension panel for EEB motherboards)'

Thanks again!
Daniel

2020-01-05, 20:54:24
Reply #727

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Almost nobody lists XL-ATX because it's rare, forgotten format. But write email to brand of your choice to ask them. For example Lian-Li always gave me answer within a day.

Otherwise I would judge by the space under PCI-e slots if there is only 7 of them. If there is 8+ it should fit without issue. I doubt the actually stand-offs are different.

2020-01-05, 21:58:08
Reply #728

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks.  That makes total sense, to be honest I didn’t even know XL-ATX existed before this week.

Looks like the Lian Li might be out of the running for another reason.  I was about to order it but I noticed the max cooler height is 155mm.  I’m guessing this is because of the large compartment in the back.  Looks like the Noctua NH-U14S is 165mm.  Darn.  Might try to make my Define S2 work with XL-ATX and if not that then the Fractal XL you mentioned.  Looks like the HDD bays are removable on that one so it could be fine.

Lots of variables!

2020-01-05, 22:43:30
Reply #729

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
Thanks.  That makes total sense, to be honest I didn’t even know XL-ATX existed before this week.

Looks like the Lian Li might be out of the running for another reason.  I was about to order it but I noticed the max cooler height is 155mm.  I’m guessing this is because of the large compartment in the back.  Looks like the Noctua NH-U14S is 165mm.  Darn.  Might try to make my Define S2 work with XL-ATX and if not that then the Fractal XL you mentioned.  Looks like the HDD bays are removable on that one so it could be fine.

Lots of variables!

Gamer Nexus build a 3970x using the Aroux Extreme, Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL, and 2 radiators forget the size but click the link and it'll take you right to the fitment of the board in the case.

There was also a video of someone testing the Apple Display on multiple Macs/Windows computers (mostly laptops) but the display didnt seem to like alot of windows stuff. Would detect it but not actually show the screen.

2020-01-06, 01:18:58
Reply #730

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
There was also a video of someone testing the Apple Display on multiple Macs/Windows computers (mostly laptops) but the display didnt seem to like alot of windows stuff. Would detect it but not actually show the screen.

The MaxTech guy ;- ) Didn't really knew what he was doing at all (plugging the Thunderbolt into motherboard lol). But it's pointless anyway, Apple moved every settings from hardware into OS, you can adjust Brightness, Color Space & HDR only within MacOSX. So even if some active cable conversion from DisplayPort allowed full 6k/60Hz/10bit the display would be totally useless for work with Windows machine. I guess this is intentional and highly doubt Apple would release drivers (or if 3rd party drivers are possibility).

BlackMagic is making a conversion device from SDI to Thunderbolt for colorists, but even that is useless for us.
I do hope some alternatives will pop out in 2020.

I took a break from all work over Christmas, so I installed 3950X only today. And color me surprised, it runs super stable at 128GB (4x32) 3200CL16. This sorta gives me hope that the same will be true for Threadrippers as there are some upcoming 256GB 3200/CL14 (well "14", it;s 14/18/18/36 ). Not that I trust G.Skill to actually sell them, they originally promised to deliver these in November (they were 3600/CL16 then) and nothing came out of it. Sent them email, didn't get any reply. They did silently released 256/3200/CL16 but it's super rare as well but at least possible to order.
Corsair has similiar kit with worse timings and more expensive, so I would rather wait for the actual good set.

2020-01-06, 17:23:37
Reply #731

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This sorta gives me hope that the same will be true for Threadrippers as there are some upcoming 256GB 3200/CL14 (well "14", it;s 14/18/18/36 )
Do you actually have scenes that require more than 128GB?

Good to know that you installed the 3950X. Keep us posted please! I'm still waiting for availability :S

2020-01-06, 18:15:19
Reply #732

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It's not for single scenes but general multitasking. Had 128 GB on all PCs for over a year and it's very easy to use 80-90perc. of it. For workstation that should last another few years, I would buy enough memory now when it's still affordable. It's not much of an investment compared to rest of the build.

Just few more hours for AMD's keynote at CES !

2020-01-06, 19:01:11
Reply #733

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Is it expected that they'll announce release date and cost for the 3990?  I wonder if I'll end up wanting to return this 3970x.  I can't imagine the single core speed of the 3990 will be as high as the 3970, though, which would affect it as a workstation.  Hmmm....

2020-01-06, 19:04:33
Reply #734

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Is it expected that they'll announce release date and cost for the 3990?  I wonder if I'll end up wanting to return this 3970x.  I can't imagine the single core speed of the 3990 will be as high as the 3970, though, which would affect it as a workstation.  Hmmm....

I guess :- ) Or rather hope so! You have correct thinking, I wouldn't worry much about single-thread boost though as I would about processor groups. Windows (ALL Windows, even Server editions) have processor group limitation on 64 Threads, so with 128 Threads, it will divide them into two.
3990X should have all die access to memory controller unlike the 2990WX, so this shouldn't pose single-thread issue but it can still pose issues for many softwares which are unaware of processor groups.

I shit, I need to work and not browse Reddit right now hah.