Author Topic: HOW TO: Vector Displacement  (Read 10948 times)

2016-11-14, 10:52:39

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
I recently struggled with getting Vector Displacement maps working correctly in Corona so decided to create a how to topic on this. Steps:

1. Use high Max level value in displacement and then plug Vector Displacement map into Displacement slot.

B
2. Plug RGB Tint into Vector Displacement node.

3. Here is the tricky part - Swap Green and Blue channels in RGB tint node. Plug Bitmap map with your displacement map into RGB Tint map slot.

4. Dont forget to load your displacement map with gamma override 1,0.

5. Result.

Used ear displacement map is atttached.

2016-11-14, 14:56:17
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks, I can confirm this is working. Super helpful!
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-12-07, 06:27:09
Reply #2

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
I have a question.

While this seems to work perfectly as long as you are using it on an object that is around the 500cm x 500cm in size I can't figure out how you get it down into a more, realistic scale?

The vector displacment seems to be locked based texture. changing the object size or the uvw size completely messes everything up.

What if I wanted that same ear to be 5cm x 5cm ? how do you control that?

2016-12-07, 09:50:30
Reply #3

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
Well, if you have 500x500 cm plane = you set displacement to 500cm. If you have 5x5 cm plane you set displacement to 5cm. Thats it.

2017-03-02, 10:01:34
Reply #4

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, if you have 500x500 cm plane = you set displacement to 500cm. If you have 5x5 cm plane you set displacement to 5cm. Thats it.

Is it a 32bits Tiff you're using there ?
As I thought vector disp works with 32 bits gamma 1 bitmaps...
(just for the mental sanity of noob reading this thread)

I'm not sure if I get you're RGB swapping method, I just tried using a vector map created from Zbrush, I had the displacement inverted, is it that issue you're solving doing that ? I entered '-1' in the vector displacement node, field 'vector' after the map path and I have correct displacment direction now... isn't it the same ?
« Last Edit: 2017-03-02, 10:05:14 by Utroll »

2017-03-02, 10:10:06
Reply #5

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Or does it avoid the boundaries of my object to be reversed as well ?

Actually I had enough question about Zbrush->Vector->3DSmax Corona to make a thread but as that one is started... not sure if I should add to that one or make a specific thread in 'I need help' to be displaced into 'How to' when completed...

1/ best export settings from Zbrush as tangent coordinates, smooth UV, smooth normals low rez checkbox ?
2/ diagnostic files from Zbrush looks like asking for '42' in the flipandswitch vector export option, but why do I still have a reverted disp
3/ tons more :)
« Last Edit: 2017-03-02, 10:15:03 by Utroll »

2017-03-02, 10:59:49
Reply #6

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
I used 32 bit, 16 bit may or may not work as well - you can try. Gamma 1.0 is applied when loading image into 3Ds Max.
I used RGB swapping as for all the maps I found or exported from Mudbox I had to do it - not sure if its Corona or export options related - but as far as I remember, it was Corona related - It had to be done to make vector map work correctly.
Using -1 in vector displacement is okay - no problem with reversing.
I do not use ZBrush so I can not advice options - though, The more resolution you output, the smoother displacement will be. In Corona you then need to decrease Displacement Screen Size (from default 2,0) to make displacement more precise.
Your displacement looks correct - I think you have it setup right - but your boundaries doesnt look right. You could probably increase resolution and there may be some boundary tiling option in ZBrush while exporting you need to turn off or something?
All in all you can experiment, thats the best way to go about it.

2017-03-02, 11:37:15
Reply #7

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile
[thanks for developing]
All in all you can experiment, thats the best way to go about it.

Ahah sir, if I did already :D
It's not exactly straightforward !
thanks again, I'll post any further improvement if it occurs.