Author Topic: Corona Popularity - Introduce your self  (Read 36269 times)

2012-09-12, 01:36:29

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi,

I've noticed the last couple of months Corona is gaining  popularity and just thought I'd start a thread where we introduce ourselves.

I've been working in 3D since 3dsmax 1.0, working in various companies in Australia.
Started off animating characters for realtime web movies, childrens DVD's/TV shows, computer games.
Moved from the city to the coast and started a Architectural vis company, thats going through tough times, I hope that picks up soon.

So my main focus of interest became renderers, I own Maxwell, Fryrender, Thea Render, Vray and Mental ray.

I bumped into Ludvik on the mental ray forums probably a year or so ago and started discussing renderers.
I tried to get him interested in another renderer (which I won't name cause I really like those guys and there product ).
Ludvik told me about Corona.
Well once I started playing around with Corona, I couldn't stop,  the pure speed and clean results of Global Illumination was just amazed me.
No slow speeds of unbiased rendering and no pissing around with light cache and irradiance map settings, it just works.
The development speed of Keymaster, he just keeps on adding features within weeks, sometimes days.
Translucency one week, Anisotropy the next,  sun & sky, Scattering, proxies, DOF and the last month or two, displacement, motion blur, render elements !!!
This guy is on fire and its only in Alpha !!!

Well a nearly a year later and I'm still here using Corona.

So how did you get interested in Corona ?

2012-09-12, 13:36:12
Reply #1

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Someone posted a couple of corona renderings in another (non-public) forum which rendered (according to the rendertime stamp) way to fast to be true. That's when I started testing the alphaV2 build here and was blown away by it's astonishing speed! Ok.. it's just a couple of days ago, but I feel amazingly familiar with Corona already ;)

I'm a more or less 3D-generalist working for a German Vfx-studio. I started doing 3D-stuff 8 years ago. 4 as a hobbyist, 4 as a professional. I prefer doing the "finishing" stuff. Lighting, Shading, rendering and compositing are the things I love to do. Furthermore I spend a lot of time in Tool development and scripting in common.
In Production I've been using Vray, Finalrender, Mentalray.
In the last couple of years I've been testing most of the renderers available for max, like Maxwell, Arion, Thea, Nox, etc but Corona is by far the most useful one already :).
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2012-09-12, 14:03:28
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
So how did you get interested in Corona ?

One day I started programming my bachelor thesis... ;)

DeadClown: what forum (which renderer) was it? ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-09-12, 14:07:51
Reply #3

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
DeadClown: what forum (which renderer) was it? ;)

You should ask loocas, he posted these images there ;-) I'm not sure if I'm allowed to tell you ;)

2012-09-12, 14:16:25
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Loocas is definitely not a Vray or MentalRay user...  so we know where this is going :D

2012-09-12, 15:04:26
Reply #5

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Now I just want to know which forum it was :)

2012-09-12, 20:52:13
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Ok... 

how did i get interested in corona:

Well, a few years back i met this guy who started programming his bachelor thesis... ;)

Once his thesis started to turn into monster with area lights, gi and glossy reflection, i started to test it for fun and see what i can get out of the toy that he created. As time passed, that toy started to be better at some aspects than the renderer i was using for production at the time, and it was not long before it got better at all of the aspects that are relevant for the work i do. :)

I am a CG generalist, but like DeadClown, i prefer mainly lighting, shading and rendering and consider them my strong points.

You might know me from the hollywood blockbuster such as:

Mental Images on fire.

War of the flames.

Trolls in nVidia forest.

Pissed Remydrh.

:)
« Last Edit: 2012-09-14, 16:18:27 by Rawalanche »

2012-09-12, 21:00:50
Reply #7

alieneye

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
My friend sent me a link to the corona forum a week ago.
and it seems that  i`m already loving corona  :)

i`m in 3d since 1998, 3d generalist, but lighting, texturing and rendering is more important things to me.

2012-09-13, 12:20:04
Reply #8

Paul Jones

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm also a 3d generalist - started out doing exhibitions/retail, then moved to architectural, then the recession hit so anything I can get my hands on now.
Loocas is to blame for my presence here, having known him for a while from the finalrender forums. I'm also along with a few of you guys on adesk beta and have just been laughing my socks off at some ridiculous render times for iray with 7 high end GPU's

Started rendering in Autocad and Autovision on a pentium 90 with 64mb ram, changing to max dos, then onwards. I use finalrender, mental ray, quicksilver, scanline - whatever suits the job, but am just about to strat the jcb job in corona once I get the legacy build for max 2013 to run on my old xeons!

Loving the speed of response on development, speed of renders and the lack of fecking about to get decent clean results - render once right, not 3 times shite ;-)

Would be interested to know who you are Deadclown ;-)

2012-09-13, 13:18:19
Reply #9

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Would be interested to know who you are Deadclown ;-)

I'm "Martin Geupel", I don't write a lot in "the forums", normally I'm nagging around here at the studio and Michael is the one who is getting the trouble after posting that stuff :P

2012-09-13, 23:13:33
Reply #10

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Hi hi, my name is my nick :)
Im working in archviz business for Belgium/Germany agencies and private persons. I was working with Vray for few years, and then i moved to Indigo renderer (i was beta tester too).
I found Corona back in 2009 on our local forum (maxarea.com).
I found Corona few weeks ago as stable and production ready product. I was totally impressed and invested hours of my free time into this little dll.
Now, im totally in love with this engine. Its fast, friendly and im feel that i found my render engine finally! I was able to convert my old scenes to corona easily without any problems. Workflow is great, integration to max is perfect. In alpha stage, i can say, its one of the best renderers i tried and it seems that i`ll stick with Corona in future !

I already did 2 commercial projects in Corona without any Max crash :)
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2012-09-14, 00:03:38
Reply #11

Paul Jones

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Deadclown - didn't you used to be on fr beta?

2012-09-14, 00:13:28
Reply #12

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Deadclown - didn't you used to be on fr beta?

That's what I'm talking about ;)

2012-09-15, 20:58:36
Reply #13

hglr123

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi to all :)
My name is Nikolay Nastev. I'm a 3d modeler and render artist. :)

BR!
Nik

2012-10-18, 16:05:15
Reply #14

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Found a link to this forum on max3d.pl - one of the biggest Polish cg forums.

I study computer graphics at a private school so I can use Corona on a legal, student version of 3ds max 2012 x64, which is awesome. It's also insane that Corona is free but please don't turn it into a commercial application like Crazybump did.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us