Author Topic: [solved] CoronaTriplanar/CoronaNormal gamma warning  (Read 1211 times)

2022-10-27, 11:13:23

RecentSpacesSam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I noticed that plugging a CoronaTriplanar map into a CoronaNormal map triggers the "incorrect gamma" warning even if the map has correct gamma. The warning disappears when the map is removed.

I'm aware that TriPlanar should go as close to the main material as possible, but when this is not possible this might result in incorrect gamma adjustments when they aren't needed.

Corona 8.2, 3DS Max 2022.3

Thanks
« Last Edit: 2023-02-15, 18:09:49 by maru »

2022-11-03, 09:16:46
Reply #1

NazarVitkovskyi

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

unfortunately, I was not able to reproduce the issue. May I please ask you to share the scene ( or at least the object with problematic material) or a Normal Bitmap? I assume, the normal map you are using was saved with incorrect gamma and this can be a cause of the gamma warning.

2022-11-07, 13:41:42
Reply #2

Kalopsia

• Active Users
  • Kalopsia Visual Studio
    • View Profile
    • Kalopsia Visual Studio
This is an issue that seams to be goging on for some time now. I don't have a Triplaner map but we use a Multitexture in front of the CoronaNormal Map. It's a big scene with lots of folige but it seams to be only one particular map. The mapps are all input with Gamma 1 so we don't use the adjust Gamma checkbox. I tried it the other way around, loading the Normal map at 2,2 and using the CoronaNormal map to correct them. But it doesn't chang anything.
I would say that this is a problem when working in bigger scenes with more normal maps.
It's not realy a problem as it renders fine, but it is anoying nevertheless
Rendering since 2014

2022-11-09, 13:53:03
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Could you send any sample files with this issue? (even just an empty scene with a teapot with a material that triggers the error)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-11-10, 09:50:07
Reply #4

Kalopsia

• Active Users
  • Kalopsia Visual Studio
    • View Profile
    • Kalopsia Visual Studio
So I thought I had figuered out why it was happening. Turns out there was a slot of the multitexture I wasn't using. This is becaus I copied the multitexture rather than creat a new one, furthermore I hide all empty slots since the new Physical material is soooooo long. The warning from Corona is now gone but, I can not reproduce the error. So I'm actualy not sure if that was the problem in the first place.

I will keep an I out for future scenes an send them in whenever it happens.
Rendering since 2014

2022-11-10, 10:26:40
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just to make it clear:

The automatic detection of the normal gamma is not perfect. It will sometimes tell you that your gamma is incorrect even if it is correct (and the other way around).
For example, in the attached scene, we are using a normal map which is working perfectly fine (it will produce the correct shading), but the gamma warning will show up.
If we enable the "add gamma" checkbox in the Corona Normal node, the warning will disappear, but the shading will be incorrect.

It all depends on how the normal map was saved and what is the expected result.
We have a short guide showing how to test normal maps if they are loaded correctly here: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4528320253329-Corona-Normal-Map-
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-11-14, 09:52:53
Reply #6

Kalopsia

• Active Users
  • Kalopsia Visual Studio
    • View Profile
    • Kalopsia Visual Studio
Thanks Maru.
Rendering since 2014