Author Topic: A Short Film  (Read 6587 times)

2019-04-26, 11:43:02
Reply #15

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I agree with you there fully Nox3d. There is no reason to avoid genres, themes, looks, even cliches just because they were done before or popularized by someone else. There is always space for another Farnsworth House :- ).

First, it's how we all learn, we emulate what we find beautiful and speaks to us. As long as it's not plagiarization, it's new for person who made it. And just because it's common to you, it's not to someone else. Given there's a billions of us, reaching for originality above all is futile attempt, sometimes bordering on pretentious. You can all proclaim photography to be dead with approach like this, which is hardly the case.

I am also tired of backhanded "compliments" that speak more about commenter than the author of artwork, like the endless "another XYZ? (more boring archviz?uuh...). For those who don't find the artwork interesting, find another one to comment that's more to your liking. I don't go around the street telling people I don't like their commuting family cars, why don't they buy more unique sport cars ? Well that's lot of stupid analogies from me but you get the point. Ignore if you don't enjoy the genre or feel the need to nitpick irrelevant crap.

First of all, this is forum and not street. People are not walking around and be like "Hi, this is my new family car, what do you think". And comparing cars to art , uh ? How you can compare something you buy with something you create.

He posted his work here and expecting some feedback. I told him that his work is very nice but im having problem to enjoy stuff like this. Alex did movie which we can consider as milestone in archviz industry and in one decade, no one even came close to it in terms of quality (not just photorealism but overall craftmanship). Its like trying to mimick Queen or Beatles.

Anyway, there is so much of quality projects floating around that its very hard to be unique these days. Mimicking other`s work for studying pruposes - okay, but its pretty clear that goal was to get as close as possible to his inspiration : with color balance, camera movement, DOF and basically whole composition. You can copy or imitate a lot of stuff , if its common, no one even notice. There is tons of projects similiar to each other but there are certain things in life which set the bar and everything similiar to it will be considered as "knock off". And if we are talking about archviz, Roman`s movie is one of those things.

And also, i dont understand this "if you dont like it, do not comment" philosophy. Are we gonna cuddle with each other ? Imagine music or movie industry without critics. I do miss those old times when everyone tried to be unique. Just open Behance and everything looks like it was made by one author. And because of mentality you are describing in your post, majority of archviz looks like a copy pasta. And about what genre you are talking about ? About Alex Roman`s genre vs rest of the archviz ? As i said, if i open Behance i dont see any genre. And im sure you know what im talking about.

He even used almost same font for the final caption, cmon.

I am also not fan of "Don't say anything if it's not positive", which is why I deliberately tried to not say that :- ). I even mentioned my first-thought-comes analogy as very stupid, not need to get hung up on it ;- ).

I think there's a reasonable compromise to be done. People shouldn't expect to be coddled, but neither I feel are slightly cynical remarks necessary. You have to know that it does come across like that whatever well are the intentions.
Because the work is already done and there is little constructive feedback you can get out of such comment, outside of "be more creative next time". But I am not sure how helpful that is when said externally, ideally people should come to said realization by themselves.
I feel your particular comment (I don't think I attacked your opinion, so don't take my opinion in wrong way either) is more about how you feel about the work than it would be useful for said artist. Yes people do expect feedback (sort of), but I think it's debatable how universal this is and if any kind of opinion is necessarily useful and welcome. I wouldn't consider some self-moderation to equal coddling.

The fact that big majority of people (as you say you glee from Behance) don't really operate that way is rather universal. I don't really remember that this was different 10 years ago, there was just far less people in the "industry", thus it felt like there were less copies. That much bigger reason to focus on those who break the mold, otherwise it's wasted crusade. I just ignore what doesn't spark me these days (Marie Kondo-ing), I used to be lot more riled about it back in the day but now I am far more "let live" as long as it doesn't stray into plagiarism.

Re:Movie industries without critics. I see big difference between dedicated criticism for large public audience works and feedback among dedicated community from within. The former is rarely meant for the artist but rather his audience, thus dictating the language and gro of critique. Within community you do try to foster slightly different spirit. If for some reason you would think so as infantile, I suggest looking at game community like Polycount, which I would say is rife with high creativity and their level of feedback is on whole another level. It's very complex, in-depth but also rather kind. People aren't afraid to come forward with their work and others aren't afraid to comment but the overall positive attitude does bolster the amount of interchange done. On this forum...not so much. It's either single-word positives or dismissives or just slightly more verbose of same.

Last, perceived lack of originality across industry is hardly a result of "mentality I am describing". That's little bit too far into old man yelling at the clouds level of hyperbole. First, I hardly think this is the case, if anything, social media made any interchange lot more toxic, I hardly see "this mentality" anywhere. Secondly, the best of almost never post their work, some even downright dismiss the community but the annual awards show some tremendous artworks, I am almost always shocked to see some of the stuff there and it definitely doesn't pale in comparison with the past.

Re:Behance, I also feel it's matter of expectations. My part of rant comes after seeing for past two years almost endless remarks why works here aren't as creative as on for example ArtStation. But that's the thing, Corona's audience is Archviz and for most part, upcoming and intermiddiary artists. People will come here to showcase their skill and tries and focus will always be partly Corona mostly. Whereas Behance and ArtStation are pure portfolio sites where the focus is straight-up 100perc. creativity. I honestly feel Behance does rather well as long as one keeps away from only watching own industry.
« Last Edit: 2019-04-26, 12:10:12 by Juraj Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-04-26, 12:55:25
Reply #16

ATAYIA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I agree with you there fully Nox3d. There is no reason to avoid genres, themes, looks, even cliches just because they were done before or popularized by someone else. There is always space for another Farnsworth House :- ).

First, it's how we all learn, we emulate what we find beautiful and speaks to us. As long as it's not plagiarization, it's new for person who made it. And just because it's common to you, it's not to someone else. Given there's a billions of us, reaching for originality above all is futile attempt, sometimes bordering on pretentious. You can all proclaim photography to be dead with approach like this, which is hardly the case.

I am also tired of backhanded "compliments" that speak more about commenter than the author of artwork, like the endless "another XYZ? (more boring archviz?uuh...). For those who don't find the artwork interesting, find another one to comment that's more to your liking. I don't go around the street telling people I don't like their commuting family cars, why don't they buy more unique sport cars ? Well that's lot of stupid analogies from me but you get the point. Ignore if you don't enjoy the genre or feel the need to nitpick irrelevant crap.

First of all, this is forum and not street. People are not walking around and be like "Hi, this is my new family car, what do you think". And comparing cars to art , uh ? How you can compare something you buy with something you create.

He posted his work here and expecting some feedback. I told him that his work is very nice but im having problem to enjoy stuff like this. Alex did movie which we can consider as milestone in archviz industry and in one decade, no one even came close to it in terms of quality (not just photorealism but overall craftmanship). Its like trying to mimick Queen or Beatles.

Anyway, there is so much of quality projects floating around that its very hard to be unique these days. Mimicking other`s work for studying pruposes - okay, but its pretty clear that goal was to get as close as possible to his inspiration : with color balance, camera movement, DOF and basically whole composition. You can copy or imitate a lot of stuff , if its common, no one even notice. There is tons of projects similiar to each other but there are certain things in life which set the bar and everything similiar to it will be considered as "knock off". And if we are talking about archviz, Roman`s movie is one of those things.

And also, i dont understand this "if you dont like it, do not comment" philosophy. Are we gonna cuddle with each other ? Imagine music or movie industry without critics. I do miss those old times when everyone tried to be unique. Just open Behance and everything looks like it was made by one author. And because of mentality you are describing in your post, majority of archviz looks like a copy pasta. And about what genre you are talking about ? About Alex Roman`s genre vs rest of the archviz ? As i said, if i open Behance i dont see any genre. And im sure you know what im talking about.

He even used almost same font for the final caption, cmon.

Relax guys!!
My second film is on the way..stay tuned!
:):)

2019-04-27, 07:28:06
Reply #17

impact design

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • http://impactdesign.co.in/
Amazing...
For our Regular updates Please visit our web
www.impactdesign.co.in

2019-04-27, 14:58:50
Reply #18