Author Topic: Improved light sampling  (Read 30487 times)

2014-03-11, 15:37:34
Reply #30

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Could you count how many separate rooms with lights in them is in the entire scene? And then also how many other (exterior lights is there).

The point is, i would like to know how many light groups would this scene require in total. So amount of separate rooms with lights + amount of exterior lights.

2014-03-11, 15:57:22
Reply #31

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Could you count how many separate rooms with lights in them is in the entire scene? And then also how many other (exterior lights is there).

Three main buildings has ~200 rooms interested to us (other we can't see). There is a ~30 lights on streets. And countless number of rooms in nearby buildings, cars and so on. And it is one of the simplest exterior scenes.

2014-03-11, 16:01:31
Reply #32

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Ok, so my first suggestion would be simply to hide all the lights that are not visible for given shot.

If that is not possible. Then i would place real emitters only in buildings of interest, and attach them by rooms they are into, and for background buildings, i would use self illuminated CoronaMTL instead of lights... :) I am not sure it will perform well, but i would give it a try.

The reason i asked about exact number is that the limit of 250 lights after which light solver is switched can actually be changed, but it comes at some costs, so i first need a good example case to justify asking him to increase the limit.

2014-03-11, 16:09:55
Reply #33

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hmm... As I understood from Your words light solver switching to combined automaticaly after reaching 250 groups? It's interesting. May be it will be usefull to make choice to increase or decrease this limit?

As for this particular scene I don't think it will be good to use self-illuminated material in rooms of nearby buildings because it may be difficult to light interiors of their rooms to be natural. And of course we can't turn them off because we neeŠ² them in animation all together as our camera moves across the street. But I'll try to do like You said.

Update:
Long scene parsing is huge slowdown for tests ;(

2014-03-11, 16:16:28
Reply #34

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Not to combined, but it will just disable smart sampling of lights. I would try self-illum...  it may be a bit more noisy then real emission, but should not look less natural. As i already said, there is no difference between emission and self illumination aside from fact that self illum is not sampled explicitly, but only randomly by GI. So it will be probably slower, but not nearly as slow as real emitters with too much attaching together or when smart light sampling gets disabled.

2014-03-11, 16:25:45
Reply #35

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
can you upload me the entire scene so I can find out what is causing the long parsing? (if it is the one you uploaded before I already deleted that)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-03-11, 16:34:35
Reply #36

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
can you upload me the entire scene so I can find out what is causing the long parsing? (if it is the one you uploaded before I already deleted that)

I can only upload "Mandrika" scene. I'll send You a link to PM.

to Rawalanche: it's looks like Your way to solve this scene works. From the first tests it is near to what we need.

2014-03-12, 10:30:38
Reply #37

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Finaly this scene solved :)

Fast render. Great result.
Viva la Corona!

2014-03-12, 10:57:10
Reply #38

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

2014-03-12, 13:34:38
Reply #39

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
So, whats the "final" solution for this kind of projects Fobus?

2014-03-12, 13:41:50
Reply #40

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So, whats the "final" solution for this kind of projects Fobus?

place real emitters only in buildings of interest, and attach them by rooms they are into, and for background buildings, i would use self illuminated CoronaMTL instead of lights... :)

2014-03-12, 22:07:56
Reply #41

rafpug

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Fobus

Very Good!
...and always compliments to the Staff.

2014-03-14, 10:24:28
Reply #42

3dgraphics

• Active Users
    • View Profile
can you fobus explain a bit how u got this project so clean!

2014-03-14, 11:48:59
Reply #43

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
can you fobus explain a bit how u got this project so clean!

I just collapsed all the emitters by rooms. And placed in surround buildings self-illuminated lights with no emission. All of the lights are geometry with material applied.

2014-03-14, 15:53:54
Reply #44

3dgraphics

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks!!!