Author Topic: Corona Sun Open GL Preview  (Read 3656 times)

2018-04-05, 17:26:38

martinfdc

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have a Corona sun and I would like to preview the shadows it produces in Open GL.

Firing the interactive renderer is not an option because the parsing stage takes too long (I'm working on a large and complex file)

Can anybody tell me how can I preview the Corona sun's shadows in Open GL... or maybe how to recreate the shadows a Corona sun would produce with a Cinema 4D light.

Thanks in advance.

2018-04-05, 20:06:34
Reply #1

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
You could use c4d lights or sun to get a preview of the shadow.
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2018-04-05, 21:03:58
Reply #2

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
Just as beans advised.
It's actually pretty simple if you add a sun/time tag to the corona sun. Then you can set the same date/time in both of the objects and use the c4d sun to cast the viewport shadows.

2018-04-05, 22:14:49
Reply #3

martinfdc

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Many thanks for your answers Eddoron and beanzvision. Now I can work faster with my shadows!

I've just got one more question.

Instead of the sun tag, do you know of any other tag that would allow to control the direction of a C4D light (in a similar way the Corona handles the direction of the light...)?

The thing is that I very much like how Corona controls the sun via the rotation and angle inputs. And when I use the sun tag one need to also fiddle around with the dates...

2018-04-05, 22:21:51
Reply #4

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
Well, you could change the pivot of the object and use the protection tag to constrain the rotation, but a dedicated tag like that is not available.

2018-04-05, 22:40:14
Reply #5

martinfdc

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Eddoron, then I will fiddle with the dates and time... This way works quite good. At least I get a preview of what I will be getting with my Corona Sun without having to render.

2018-04-06, 00:10:17
Reply #6

martinfdc

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've got one last question...

Is it possible that only one sun tag affects the Corona Sun and C4D Sun? I ask this so that I don't need to copy or replace the Corona's sun with the C4D's sun tag

2018-04-06, 02:05:42
Reply #7

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
1. Set tag on the Cinema Sun (Tag Properties) > Time: Xpressions > Set Driver
2. Set tag on the Corona Sun (Tag Properties) > Time: Xpressions > Set Driven (Absolute)

Disable Cinema Sun from Rendering.

!!! BUG WARNING !!!
IPR constantly restarts & flashes
it stops, if you left click & any menu opens or, if you hover and circle over IPR, viewport & around... like a fearless eagle, watching thunderstorm beneath :D

enjoy

PS feature requests
Maybe developers would kindly hack it in under option: Enable OGL Shadows ;)
Also, i still don't understand why Sun & Sky are separated, since they are in more than 90% of cases used together... just add on option either to override and/or disable each. Ahhhh... so much wasted time clicking...
« Last Edit: 2018-04-06, 02:20:29 by burnin »

2018-04-06, 02:18:00
Reply #8

martinfdc

• Active Users
    • View Profile
holly cow burnin! you're the man! many thanks! this helps me loads!

I just need to try it out with the take system... I guess it will work just fine. The thing is I have lots of takes and for each of them I'm changing the sun tag properties. Before your Xpression I had to change the tags twice to have a proper take. I hope now I will only need to change one and the two tags will coordinate in the takes...

2018-04-06, 02:24:37
Reply #9

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
it works fine... now, if IPR would be working properly i wouldn't get pissed every now & then, when i visit and open this abomination :p
luckily, found my peace in blending openly :D and this is gathering dust...

edit
hmm... maybe there will be 1 frame offset... i remember cinema having problems with some rigs, particles, sims... occasionally, but am not sure anymore with what specifically, hopefully all will run fine

cheers
« Last Edit: 2018-04-06, 02:35:44 by burnin »

2018-04-06, 03:23:00
Reply #10

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
Next solution: Just select both tags and set the date there. no flash needed ;)

Adobe Flash!

2018-04-06, 03:49:16
Reply #11

martinfdc

• Active Users
    • View Profile
LOL! You’re totally right Eddoron! Thanks!

2018-04-06, 09:51:56
Reply #12

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
it works fine... now, if IPR would be working properly i wouldn't get pissed every now & then, when i visit and open this abomination :p
luckily, found my peace in blending openly :D and this is gathering dust...

You got it all mixed up, man! What you really intended to say is: "If only Xpresso was implemented properly, then the Corona IPR wouldn't have any trouble with it" :-)