Author Topic: Fashion render scene - need help :-)  (Read 1704 times)

2020-11-04, 11:00:14

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all, I would like to ask for your help. I'm working on this sales image in which we are going to present a fashion model. The goal is to create the most
realistic looking picture. Because of nda and what not I'm not allowed to show our own created model so instead I've put in an Anima drag and drop model.

What I would love to hear from you all is how I can improve the realism of the background. Most of the assets are from megascans. I've added a few extra material layers to some object to give more detail.

Lighting is done with a single hdri and a sun light connected to it.

Thanks in advance.

2020-11-04, 11:03:41
Reply #1

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Screenshot from the scene, I placed a few branches with leaves to cast shadows.

2020-11-04, 12:19:04
Reply #2

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
model is fine so next thing is I'd go for is lookdev, start working on (realistic) materials under neutral lighting conditions

2020-11-04, 13:31:30
Reply #3

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm sure you've done some research on fashion photography, here are some nice sources if you still are looking for inspiration:

https://www.inpholio.com
https://www.gosee.de

Both are Germany-based but they feature many international agencies, brands and photographers.
You can search both for fashion related images and you'll get tons of results, I bet there'll be something similar to what you're after.

Don't overdo the background, simple clean stuff works better if you want to showcase the model. Clear lighting and framing. Right now, the framing focuses on the model, still you have some distraction going on in the foreground, the image has no free space to lead the eye, but that's what's needed for the model to stand out. Together with the muddy lighting it makes it feel quite uncomfortable in my opinion. You really need to direct the viewer to what you want to highlight.
Also, I'd strongly advice to get rid of any vignetting, that way you'll be forced to come up with a better composition. If you want a clean fashion look, a vignette is definitely not helping.

I don't know what your final model looks like but honestly it's all about the pose, expression and the 'moment' as a photographer would probably put it. Most of the time they don't look for the perfect image but for something that makes the image interesting... And that's what is really hard to capture in CG since we tailor everything to a specific need and level of perfection and there's no room for something random and interesting - but that's what you need to make it interesting to a viewer.

And then - don't expect it to be done in the VFB only. No shoot in this world goes directly from camera to print/web, there's really a lot of post production, sometimes even on the most trivial stuff. What you see in the VFB can only be a start, make sure to play in post production to learn what looks good and why it helps the image.

2020-11-04, 14:55:54
Reply #4

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks guys this really helps a lot, I'll be sure to post updates when I get further with this.

2020-11-10, 09:19:08
Reply #5

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok so I've made an update of the scene. I removed clutter in the background and made the colors a bit warmer. The model in the scene will have a greyish colored outfit so she will pop out of the picture.
Still need to tweak the leaves.