Author Topic: Working Setup?  (Read 6708 times)

2016-09-23, 07:05:04

GilmourMotionDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Would a few of you mind posting your working setup specs or offer some advice?  Corona is causing C4D to hang every couple minutes or less and I'm thinking it might a driver conflict or something, but I've installed multiple different drivers, and I'm not finding any other workarounds.

My current setup:
C4D R16.050
Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1
Nvidia K5000 (Driver: 341.96)
CPU: 2x Intel E5-2687W 3.40GHZ
64GB Ram
Wacom Intuos 3

Thanks!

2016-09-23, 09:19:29
Reply #1

CBAS VISUAL

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance :
hi

R17.053
windows 10 Pro 64bit
Pny gtx980 ti
2x Intel E5-2630 v3  2.40ghz
32gb Ram
Wacom Bamboo

All work well, c4d bug very rarely.
It's freezing when u move the view ?

2016-09-23, 11:26:52
Reply #2

Matej Ovsenek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm almost certain it's the nVidia K**** series card  and Cinema problem, I believe it's got nothing to do with Corona, because I don't use Corona on that machine and am experiencing random freezes all the time.

the ONLY solution for me was disabling OpenGL, but for now, no other solution presented itself, not from nVidia, nor Maxon. (edit/preferences/opengl/Use opengl checkbox)

There's however a bugfix on the MAXON site, which updates to 16.051, that claims it can help... but it doesn't do it for me.

You can also try going to the nVidia control panel and under Manage 3d settings / program settings, select MAXON CINEMA 4D and set OpenGL rendering GPU from Auto select to your K5000. Some people claim it helps, but again... not for me.

As I have this setup at the company that I'm emloyed at, and their IT's don't know the solution, I just keep OpenGL disabled. Causes !!extremely!! bad viewport performance, but hey... at least I can get something done.

Rolling back drivers didn't help either.

At home I've got a gtx 1070 with Corona and OpenGL enabled - no hanging problems at all.

employer machine setup:

C4D R16.051
Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1
nVidia k4200 (Driver: 358.91)
CPU: 2x Intel e5-2690 v3 2.6Ghz
128GB RAM
----------------------------------------------
matej.ovsenek - Skype
matej.ovsenek@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/matej.ovsenek

2016-09-23, 12:06:40
Reply #3

CBAS VISUAL

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance :
i had a k4000 on my old workstation and c4d crashed randomly all the time.
Like Matej said, disable OpenGL.

Or buy a nvidia gtx card ..

2016-09-23, 16:02:50
Reply #4

GilmourMotionDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for replies guys!  Weird, I wonder if Corona just agrivates the OpenGL situation more?  Because I was messing with C4D's other render options to make sure it actually was Corona and C4D wasn't crashing...  Maybe it's the OpenGL C4D rub that gets accelerated when dealing with Coronas Materials?

I will say I think it hangs mostly with the IPR, when I hit the play button, it ramps the CPU's up to 100% and I can't really do anything and hitting the stop button does nothing, I have to force quit most every time.  Or it will hang when trying to mess with materials (not navigating).  Making changes to a material forces the little material preview icon to update, which ramps the CPU's up to 100% in order render the little preview icon and C4D becomes completely unresponsive for quite awhile, sometimes it never recovers.

Anyways, maybe I just need to update C4D haha, does the OpenGL issue resolve itself with R18?
Are you guys all using the IPR without issues?

Thanks again for your replies I really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: 2016-09-23, 16:25:57 by GilmourMotionDesign »

2016-09-23, 17:48:54
Reply #5

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No IPR for the moment. It's known to crash.

About Q drivers... have you tried with "certified" ones:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-certified-drivers.html#partner_id=53&application_id=265&page=driverSelected

2016-09-23, 17:54:13
Reply #6

Matej Ovsenek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've had crashes on heavy scenes while navigating, creating materials, and also on empty scenes... sometimes even starting Cinema4D with OpenGL enabled and idling my computer on an empty scene for a while would freeze up Cinema 4D when I came back, so I don't think it's related to any specific use.

I've had to forcequit every single time, with no bugreport present when firing it back up. A couple of times (1 or 2 out of 100) I've gotten a warning, stating that the driver has crashed, but that could be related to some other issue, at this point I just don't know.

I just gave up calling the IT guys after about 2 months of constantly nagging them. Once, the IT guy actually sent the workstation back to HP and HP even replaced the motherboard (wtf's that got to do with anything?!?), but I'm doubtful, that they actually replaced anything at all.

I do not know it the issue is resolved in R17 or R18.

It's interesting that Cinema doesn't crash on you if you're using Physical or Standard, I almost strictly use Physical and it's crashing all the time with OpenGL.

I just did a quick test with Alpha from the Corona site.

With OpenGL enabled
Switched renderer to Corona, made a cube, made a corona material, made a light, while moving the light - It froze up.

Another try, froze up when creating the material.

With OpenGL disabled
Same procedure, working fine without interactive.

Same procedure, I enabled Corona interactive, and Corona_Release.dll crashed, bugreport and everything, as expected.

Certified drivers don't work for me, maybe it'll work for GilmourMotionDesign.

----
If anyone had the same problem with R16.051 or 16.050 and got it working on R17 or R18, please let me know also, maybe I can convince the powers that be for an upgrade.

----------------------------------------------
matej.ovsenek - Skype
matej.ovsenek@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/matej.ovsenek

2016-09-23, 20:32:25
Reply #7

GilmourMotionDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well at least now I know I'm not crazy!  haha
Thanks for all the detailed feedback guys!

I heard Alpha 6 is due any day now, maybe that'll bring the IPR back online.

Anyone experiencing the issue I mentioned of messing with a material and your system becoming pretty unresponsive while C4D/Corona renders the little preview icon of the material?

For example when I check "Reflection", "Refraction", and "Translucence" I have to sit and wait for C4D to update the preview icon before I can even start adjusting settings.

2016-09-26, 09:41:37
Reply #8

village-dog

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think it is responsible graphic card driver. I had R16/Win7 and everything worked perfectly (nVidia GTS 8800 512RAM). Ever since I installed Win 10, C4D started to fall - at the same hardware. Meanwhile, I've upgraded to C4D17 it falls well. So it's a combination of OS, graphics card and driver. I still struggle with the correct driver for Win - sometimes winning, sometimes losing.

People from support C4D say that Maxon has Open GL written correctly, it is an error on the side of producers drivers. But try to find a solution. That is why the upgrade for C4D 16 to .053.

PS: Sometimes it falls in projects where Corona was not using.
Now I am waiting for installation R18 to be launched Corona A5.2 compatible with R18. Then I write what happened.

2016-09-29, 16:22:06
Reply #9

GilmourMotionDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok well I installed a couple different drivers and found one that seems to be working for now, I think it's fairly stable, given I'm not doing anything very intense or demanding by any means, but I have openGL on, navigating is pretty good, and rendering is pretty good, seems fairly stable, it might crash a littler here or there, but nothing more than normal.

Again, I'm on Win7, C4D R16.050
Nvidia K5000
NVidia Driver Version: 341.96
I changed the "Threaded optimization for C4D ON", usually it's on auto.

Not that Nvidia or Maxon care at this point since the card and the software are outdated, but maybe this will help someone else.

Thanks again for all the replies and advice!