Author Topic: Chaos Vantage  (Read 1331 times)

2024-02-23, 15:43:41

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I keep seeing mentions of Chaos Vantage, but never knew what it was. I watched part of a Chaos video and the main feature, from what I saw, was real-time (or close to it) previews. Isn't that one of the great features of Corona and V-ray, and Octane and Redshift for that matter? We have ability to have good real-time previews and updates as you work. Why  is Vantage needed if the engines already provide a similar function?

Asking for a friend. ;-)

2024-02-23, 16:04:16
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Chaos Vantage is a whole application with its own UI and real-time GPU renderer - https://docs.chaos.com/display/LAV/Chaos+Vantage+Home

If all goes well, we may have Vantage support in Corona 12 - https://trello.com/b/dgI8vjDb/corona-tentative-road-map-cinema-4d

That would mean, for example, the ability to walk through your scenes in real-time, change lighting, materials, and more. BUT please note that it's still early, so there are no promises at this point (and I am not the best one to share such updates anyway). I'm sure Tom will drop by here soon. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2024-02-23, 16:44:42
Reply #2

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So the big thing is adding GPU tech to a CPU render engine. Interesting. Sounds like Unreal Engine. I would also assume that Mac users might not be able to take advantage of this tech. Not Chaos' fault, just stating the obvious. Thanks for the info.

2024-02-26, 10:26:00
Reply #3

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

it is as far i understand there is also "game tech" used (direct x12 and nvidia things) under the hood, and it can deal with amazing huge scenes in real time, classic apps or render exports like c4d or 3dsmax itself would be never capable of handling this that fast. so it is quite more than just adding gpu rendering, but a complete new architecture under the hood to manage the geometry in real time.

there for an extra application. i use it and it is pretty amazing, it is real time with bruteforce (=pathtracing) and light cache (like coronas UHD), so very good quality, using very intelligent denoisers to manage that in real time, you can even mix nvidia and intel denoiser in its settings.
also the interface is now becoming real nice and useful, more like the modern engines like d5 etc, but will full cosmos, chaos scatter etc support and direct connection (to vray for now).

i very much hope corona 12 adds support, (otherwise i probably would've to switch back to vray)

for me it makes me happy, as I see chaos is here top notch again on newest tech and I not have the feel I need to switch to unreal or other new real time tech out there.
« Last Edit: 2024-02-26, 10:31:45 by Stefan-L »

2024-02-26, 12:15:29
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
For an initial release, it could well be that functionality is limited to exporting to Vantage, after which any changes you make in Vantage will not appear back in your Max/C4D scene. There is no plan for a live link style functionality, though we will see how things go over time; but for now it's viewed as a one way conversion to vrscene to enable opening it in Vantage. You would still be able to edit in Vantage just as any other scene in Vantage, but as noted that would remain just in Vantage.

The expected purpose at the moment is to very quickly render previews, or if the needs of your client match the differences/limitations of GPU rendering, finals. Ideally this would be for, say, animated fly throughs too as that's when saving some rendering time for previews would be most useful, though again we'll have to see how far things go in the initial implementation in terms of animation. For 12 though the idea is to get the basic foundation in place and then go from there :)

PS the speed of Vantage compared to IR is very different :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2024-02-26, 20:56:04
Reply #5

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very interesting. So the quality is very good in Vantage, but not production quality. It seems like a condensed version of Unreal Engine. Not sure I will need it in the future, but good to know it might be there at some point.

2024-02-26, 21:11:13
Reply #6

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You would hope to use it since the Corona team mentioned Vantage would cause a massive price increase :D

2024-02-27, 00:56:53
Reply #7

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Vantage will never go Mac I assume ?

2024-02-27, 14:21:25
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
To clarify, there would be no "price increase" for using Vantage, just that it's a separate product you would need to purchase to be able to use it, meaning you'd have to buy two products not just one. This is not the same thing as "price increase" which is a change to the pricing of an individual product :)

On Vantage for Mac, a question to send to the Vantage team (the Chaos forums should have a section). I would suspect not due to the usual issue of the graphics hardware being very different on Macs (or at least those newer ones that have moved away from using NVIDIA cards in them etc.).

2024-02-27, 14:25:02
Reply #9

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
To clarify, there would be no "price increase" for using Vantage, just that it's a separate product you would need to purchase to be able to use it, meaning you'd have to buy two products not just one. This is not the same thing as "price increase" which is a change to the pricing of an individual product :)

Ah thanks for clarifying Tom. I read in another thread you mention the cost around $600 per year, now it makes total sense!

2024-02-27, 15:58:17
Reply #10

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hahah yes, that was where I was pointing out the individual cost for Vantage that you'd have to subscribe to on top of the Corona subscription. There'd be no change to Corona pricing itself of course :)

2024-02-27, 20:45:11
Reply #11

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Was just watching the Chaos Unboxed presentation. Lots of interesting stuff coming. Since this thread is about Vantage, they also showed Enscape, which to the uneducated eye, seems somewhat similar to Vantage.

The Cosmos a.i. material generator would be amazing if it produces truly usable materials.

2024-03-04, 14:38:18
Reply #12

Ealexander

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • evan alexander
Really excited to try Vantage out.  I'm learning Unreal, which is great, but Vantage might hit that sweet spot in between that is just what I want.