Author Topic: Photographic (physical ) settings versus Simple exposure.  (Read 1236 times)

2023-12-05, 12:56:38

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
CR11
OSX Sonoma
Mac Studio Ultra

I am trying to understand and set photographic settings but somehow it does not have any significant effect. And so I always use simple exposure.

It looks like there are 3 separate locations for setting photographic settings, at corona camera level, at the VFB, and at the Camera/Postprocessing at the render settings. I have no clue in what way they override each other and also never see any effect on the image changing photographic settings at any of the locations. Why not simplify this and keep photographic settings only at camera level and make it work. I have never been able to reproduce a simple exposure of -5 for an exterior render by setting a photographic. Is it a bug or me with a lack of complicated knowhow that keeps me using simple exposure.

2023-12-05, 13:35:38
Reply #1

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Hi, here are 2 renders at ''-5''. Photographic (left) & Simple (right). With Photographic checked you can then adjust the parameters in the settings tab of the camera tag.

Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-12-05, 14:31:08
Reply #2

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, Beanzvision,
I simply can not render a photographic exposure, see attachment. As soon as I start a render the photographic exposure setting disappears in the vfb.  This is probably a bug in the latest 11 or I should go home and try this again after a good night sleep....

2023-12-05, 17:18:15
Reply #3

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I added the photographic exposure to the CR camera tag and then at render it does not disappear from the settings in the VFB. But the render comes out black or very faint. So there is something not right here.

I always use the simple exposure so I am not stuck.

2023-12-05, 17:36:59
Reply #4

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What we don't know is your Sky and Sun intensities. Your camera setting are fine unless the light is really bright. I am familiar with photography so I usually go with that workflow, plus it makes it easier to get the depth-of-field that way I want.

2023-12-05, 18:12:28
Reply #5

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Intensities are just at 1 as they are set at default.
There is something wrong with the latest release I am afraid. Or just on the Mac version.

2023-12-05, 18:31:16
Reply #6

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm also using Mac if you want to post your scene. I guess it's pretty simple so maybe I can recreate it.

2023-12-05, 18:32:40
Reply #7

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks BigAI3D
Just found out, it's the ACES OT that has to be turned off other wise photographic settings won't work (properly).
ACES OT works well with Simple Exposure though.

Not sure if this is a bug or normal behaviour.

2023-12-05, 18:58:37
Reply #8

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah good to hear. Yeah, I'm not using the ACES tools. At first it sounded like a new color gamut system, but from what I've read, it's more like a LUT so I never use it.

2023-12-06, 00:28:10
Reply #9

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I did notice an effect with ACES that I rather liked. But with photographic exposure it does not work. So I will stick to simple exposure for now until I get a word from the Chaos Corona team on what I am doing wrong.

You can read more about ACES here:
https://garagefarm.net/blog/what-is-color-space-and-why-you-should-use-aces

In short, ACES (Academy Color Encoding System) is a free, open, device-independent color management system that standardizes color space between different input sources. Using ACES results in more photorealistic renders due to its wider dynamic range and ultra-wide color gamut. Additionally, it provides a wider array of colors to choose from, making it a more future-proof option within production pipelines.
For digital artists, the biggest reason to use ACES is that renders look and feel more “photorealistic”. That’s because of the wider dynamic range.

2023-12-06, 16:43:03
Reply #10

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well clearly I'll have to read up more on it.