Author Topic: Small square box of noise appearing towards end of render  (Read 5325 times)

2019-08-29, 10:06:13

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

I am having major issues on an animation where by I am getting these weird boxes of high frequency noise. It's happening towards the end of the render, by that I mean when the noise level approaches/drops to the specified amount (first I had it at 2% and then I raised it to 4%)

Its super frustrating because it makes no sense for it to happen, I can understand poor materials or bad lighting to make excessively noisey renders but for the noise to actually emerge towards the lower noise limit is really strange. Also the box of noise jumps around the same area but its not consistent in its placement in that area, if that makes sense?!

I've obviously had a quick look already and I've tried the following.

1. Removed the bloom and Glare from the result (I saw a post about this possibly causing this issue)
2. Increased the noise limit from 2% to 4% I had thought it was caused by some odd over sampling bug.... it looked like it did work but this noise happens on random frames, its not consistent.
3. Tried turning denoising on and off.
4. Changed lighting strengths, removed any outside emissive backplates.
5. Simplified the material, no textures, no crazy high reflection amounts etc

Any suggestions would be welcome. The Scene is lit with a basic corona sun and sky. No overlapping geometry, no weird wholes in any of the meshes etc

2019-08-29, 10:17:12
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
That is indeed strange. Do you use distributed rendering? Did you try to turn off adaptive light solver in render settings>performance tab?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-08-29, 10:22:03
Reply #2

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It appears both locally (rendering just on this machine) and when it is sent to be rendered across the farm, I don't distributed this in the sense of actually "distributed rendering".

No I have left that on as I thought it was production safe now? I'll give it a go and let you know. Just before anyone asks as I know its common place, I won't be able to share the scene, annoyingly this problem has only really surfaced on this scene and its only appeared around the fireplace and (a log basket) although that seemed to randomly fix itself..

I'll get back to you asap and let you know.

Thanks for the suggestion, I really appreciate the help! :)

If anyone else just wants to shout things at me to try please go ahead, I need to try and fix this lol.

2019-08-29, 10:50:44
Reply #3

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Quick Update - Turned off Adaptive Light Sampler, rendered the first 10 frames and no noise (previously I had some noise appearing in a random amount of frames). So I am going to send it to the farm and I should hopefully have better idea later on today, but it looks like the Adaptive Light Sampler is the thing giving me issues... or something within this specific scene is giving it issues.

Fingers crossed this works!

2019-08-29, 11:26:50
Reply #4

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

We definately want to investigate the cause of this. The adaptive light solver should not cause these kind of issues.

Would you be able to send over your scene to us? Instructions on how to do this are in my signiture.

Could you also tell me which versions of Max and Corona you are using?

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2019-08-29, 11:47:52
Reply #5

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

We definately want to investigate the cause of this. The adaptive light solver should not cause these kind of issues.

Would you be able to send over your scene to us? Instructions on how to do this are in my signiture.

Could you also tell me which versions of Max and Corona you are using?

Thanks,

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

I'll ask to see if I am able to send this over to you, currently the scene is in production at the moment and so I don't really have the spare time to send it and looking at your link I think a video as well may be a good idea to show you the flickering in action.

It does look like it its primiliarly happening with the adaptive light solver and from a different angle and the sunlight position moved, the artifacts are no longer happening around the fireplace but around certain areas (a log basket...not that it makes any real difference I don't think?) but it does appear to be linked to the area where I have the sun shinning/focused (size 5 which I do have animated to change size slightly) intensity 0.1.

I appreciate what I have put does not help all that much, but until I can find out if I can 1 send the scene and 2 are able to send the scene I can only give my descriptions.

Is there anything else I could provide to help?

2019-08-29, 12:00:02
Reply #6

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'll ask our support team if they can think of anything else.

Could you also confirm which versions of Max and Corona you are using?

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2019-08-29, 12:18:59
Reply #7

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'll ask our support team if they can think of anything else.

Could you also confirm which versions of Max and Corona you are using?

Thanks,

Rowan

Oh yeah of course apologies, its the following:
3DS Max 2018 - 2018. 4 Update / 20.0 - 20.4.0.4254

Corona 4
Full-speed, Non-debug, MaxSDK2018
Build Timestamp: Jun 10 2019 - 16:01:03
Defines: Wide RGB

2019-08-29, 12:42:52
Reply #8

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Thanks for the info.

So I'd recommend seeing how you get on when the Adaptive light solver is disabled. If the problem no longer happens then we can say this is due to the adaptive light solver.

The best way for us to fix it in the future would be for us to get a copy of your scene, we are able to treat it with confidentiality. If/when you are able to send it to us.

Lastly there is a newer release version of Corona out; Version 4 Hotfix 1, which contains some bugfixes. I'd also recommend updating to this version when you are next between projects.

Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2019-08-30, 10:34:49
Reply #9

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Just a quick update which throws a bit more confusion into the mix, I've just noticed a scene rendered (VRAY Next) and noticed the same sort of noise appearing around the same sort of area (being around the soft sun light edges/to shadows)

Only issue I've got is that obviously VRAY included the new Adaptive dome feature and its not actually turned on in my file; although I could have not saved... I'll attach a screenshot for you.

The only consistent feature I can point out is that it appears to be happening around the edges of the sunlight.... HOWEVER, same scene but a different camera angle and there is no weird bucket noise what so ever.

I know this isn't a VRAY forum however I appreciate you guys have shared some stuff together so maybe this may help to limit the search or hopefully be able to rule out some possibilities.

2022-02-22, 11:37:42
Reply #10

dianalacruz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Same here since a while... there's different noise amount separated by squares.

2022-02-22, 11:51:18
Reply #11

dianalacruz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In fact, I've repeted the render without the adaptative light solver and the squares are gone, but an error message appeared:
"Sending sampling mask to slaves timed out. Try to increase synchronization time or decrease maximum pixels per transfer."

I think there's something with the adaptative light solver that crashes? It didn't happen in all my renders by the way.