Author Topic: Automatic image saving on pressing Stop  (Read 5500 times)

2019-06-27, 10:58:28

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I've run into a really frustrating issue where even if I have unchecked the save output (should not save an image) if I press stop on the VFB corona will still save and override existing images that it was previously set to. Is there something I could be doing wrong? I've had a quick look but I couldn't spot anything straight away.

Any help on this would be great :D

2019-06-27, 11:23:44
Reply #1

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
existing images

Are you talking about render element images here? If yes: enabled render elements get saved even when the main render output is disabled. No Corona issue, works like this in max since ever. If you do not want to save/overwrite any output, use "Iterative Rendering Mode" instead.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2019-06-27, 11:33:39
Reply #2

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Really? Never had this issue with any other renderer, infact I don't think I had this issue with Corona way back when, atleast not that I can remember.

Also the "use iterative rendering" how about if you just want to stop the render you're currently doing because you forgot to do something such as maybe not changing the file output to a different one and then because you're tired as.... you forget to hit cancel (which I know works correctly lol) instead of stop.

Just in my opinion it seems a little strange when telling it to stop rendering and you don't have "save file" checked that it saves the file.

2019-06-27, 12:09:49
Reply #3

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The 'stop' button has a dropdown mode - 'cancel' - when you press and hold it. Cancelling will not save anything.

2019-06-27, 12:18:18
Reply #4

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The 'stop' button has a dropdown mode - 'cancel' - when you press and hold it. Cancelling will not save anything.

Thanks, I'll try and remember that for the next time! Cheers.

2019-06-27, 12:27:52
Reply #5

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Really?

Yes :)

Also the "use iterative rendering" how about if you just want to stop the render you're currently doing because you forgot to do something such as maybe not changing the file output to a different one and then because you're tired as.... you forget to hit cancel (which I know works correctly lol) instead of stop.

Well, you can also format your hd accidentally when being exhausted :) If you use iterative rendering, pressing stop or cancel, both will not save anything at all. The only difference ist that in case of "stop", corona would do prostprocessing stuff like denoising. If you render regular and press stop then -yes- files get saved. It's the fourth stop condition besides noise level, time limit and number of passes if you like to say so. And in case of animation or multiple frames, rendering continues with the next frame after pressing stop.

But usually when you start a render and the main output file exists, you get a warning box anyway. So the only dangerous situation is that one you obviously had: to use production with output unticked and having render elements active. You do not get overwrite warnings in this case, that was happening to you (and me two or three times btw. when not using embedded REs in EXRs/CXRs as output).

Just in my opinion it seems a little strange when telling it to stop rendering and you don't have "save file" checked that it saves the file.

Main output and render elements are considered to be two different things in Max, "Elements Active" in render elements would be the equivalent of "Save File" in Common tab.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2019-06-27, 13:57:09
Reply #6

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Really?

Yes :)

Well, you can also format your hd accidentally when being exhausted :) If you use iterative rendering, pressing stop or cancel, both will not save anything at all. The only difference ist that in case of "stop", corona would do prostprocessing stuff like denoising. If you render regular and press stop then -yes- files get saved. It's the fourth stop condition besides noise level, time limit and number of passes if you like to say so. And in case of animation or multiple frames, rendering continues with the next frame after pressing stop.

But usually when you start a render and the main output file exists, you get a warning box anyway. So the only dangerous situation is that one you obviously had: to use production with output unticked and having render elements active. You do not get overwrite warnings in this case, that was happening to you (and me two or three times btw. when not using embedded REs in EXRs/CXRs as output).

Main output and render elements are considered to be two different things in Max, "Elements Active" in render elements would be the equivalent of "Save File" in Common tab.

Good Luck

I do use iterative rendering when actually working on the job, it was purely because I needed to render something at the final resolution and from there I just thought "ah I need to adjust the material by element because I've just spotted a randomisation issue, *hit stop* oh f...." then it was just a race to find the folder of the original renders and move them into a new one, luckily saving most of them lol.

I accept hitting stop will still apply denoising etc, just as you've said the elements and output of the base RGB being different things then it will save them and thus giving us the annoying issue of overwriting stuff by accicent.

Thanks for taking your time to reply btw, I do appreciate it :) Cheers!

2019-06-28, 16:48:14
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah this is super shit behavior, even if 3dsMax is once again at fault.

I hate this particular issue.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-07-01, 21:50:40
Reply #8

Jon Evans

• Users
    • View Profile
I posted this exact question a couple of days back without realising there was already a thread.

I've only recently switched over to Corona from Vray, although I'm happy with it this has to be the most annoying thing in the world, especially when it happens to renders taking a long time to render and deadlines to hit! This NEVER happened with Vray, there must be a better solution than just making sure you hit the right button. I make sure Iload all my passes into Photoshop before doing anything else just for safety but it shouldn't be that way.

2019-07-01, 22:12:32
Reply #9

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
I agree with everyone so far. The default behaviour for Corona needs to be, in my opinion, to automatically save every image that gets rendered, like Vray.

I too have been caught out many times on not saving WIP images that I want to compare against, just because I forgot to save it manually to the history.

2019-07-03, 11:08:10
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
1) We may in the future change the way how main render output and render elements are handled by Max / Corona. Currently this is only handled by Max. We could override this and ignore any Max settings (I think this is possible with V-Ray).

2)
I agree with everyone so far. The default behaviour for Corona needs to be, in my opinion, to automatically save every image that gets rendered, like Vray.
I too have been caught out many times on not saving WIP images that I want to compare against, just because I forgot to save it manually to the history.

You can use autosave for this, right? System > System Settings > Enable autosave (interval, on render end, during render)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us