Author Topic: [solved] Corona is reverting to 3ds Max Classic frame buffer  (Read 3094 times)

2019-02-05, 14:13:55

andregonweb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all -

I tried rendering a small greyscale image today. Set up my Corona sun, environment and a tiny lightmix. Fired up interactive rendering and got the Corona frame buffer going and all looked well. I then wanted to do a render, which for something small, I wouldn't choose a render output directory - but now it pushed out an error of "Error Creating File Output". I thought it was odd, but I just specified a directory quick so it could save my cxr, and hit render again. And this is where it got really weird! It opened up the classic 3ds Max frame buffer and started rendering my Corona image in that. It looked okay, but no access to the lightmix. I let the render finish, and noticed that it also started de-noising. Is this a feature where I need to specify Corona to use its own native frame buffer - maybe a setting I'm missing? I've been using Corona for a while now and I have never seen this sort of behavior before. Please help if you can.
« Last Edit: 2019-02-05, 15:48:13 by maru »

2019-02-05, 14:41:48
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hi,
Go to render setup>system>system settings and look what's set in VFB settings>type. Should be Corona VFB and not native max VFB.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-02-05, 14:53:01
Reply #2

andregonweb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
AHA! Romullus - I thank you! I just shared this little nugget with my team in case anyone ever runs into this problem again.

2019-02-05, 15:11:56
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You're welcome!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-11-08, 19:21:03
Reply #4

Artcrimes147

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, Sorry to dig up this oldie, but since I've upgraded to Corona 9 (Running Max 2021.2), whenever I render it opens in the native max frame buffer. Any ideas as to where else I could look?

On my other machine, the file works just fine (and this is happening across all of my files).

Many thanks in advance!

2022-11-09, 10:43:32
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, Sorry to dig up this oldie, but since I've upgraded to Corona 9 (Running Max 2021.2), whenever I render it opens in the native max frame buffer. Any ideas as to where else I could look?

On my other machine, the file works just fine (and this is happening across all of my files).

Many thanks in advance!

Have you tried the solution suggested by Romullus? (Render Setup > System > System Settings > make sure you have the Corona frame buffer selected there)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-11-09, 12:08:28
Reply #6

Artcrimes147

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Maru,

You know, I did that straight away and noticed it was on Corona (not native) but still showed the native frame buffer. After I restarted max AFTER checking that setting, it all of a sudden worked as it should again. Strange, I did nothing but look at that setting and close that window and then it was fine.

That said, who knows!

Thank you kindly for your prompt attention. :)

2022-11-09, 13:35:38
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Possibly there was some issue with the config file that Corona is using to store those system settings. It is stored in C:\Users\Marcin\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2022 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg\corona as one of the SysteSettings conf files.
You can manually edit the file (finding out which one may be tricky though, so it probably makes sense to update all of them) and make sure the VFB is set to "wx" like this:
Int vfb.type      = wx

It is also safe to remove all conf files in that folder (you will lose any custom system settings though). Once you restart 3ds Max and set Corona as the renderer, a new conf file will be generated.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us