Author Topic: Daily builds version 3  (Read 106190 times)

2018-11-07, 18:02:56
Reply #450

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Awesome, thanks! This always helps out a huge amount :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-11-08, 15:00:52
Reply #451

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Corona displacement screen size was changed to 4px in render setup, however in Corona displacement mod it still defaults to 2px. I think it should be equal at both places.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-11-09, 10:21:41
Reply #452

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Corona displacement screen size was changed to 4px in render setup, however in Corona displacement mod it still defaults to 2px. I think it should be equal at both places.

The default is now 4px ? That is strange decision, that's like zero displacement unless you're rendering your 8k final and you only displace big stuff like Rock relief. With all due respect to auto-bump, it's not even remotely similar to displacement at all. We could have blended displacement and bump(or normal) map before as well. This simply recreates the same look without the use of bump map but it doesn't enhance the look of displacement at all.

I've tested this quite some in recent days and I personally don't see any improvement at all (yes it's turned on).
To displace fabrics and micro-detail, 0.5px and less is still necessary. This is not real alternative to 2D(Texture-space) displacement that Vray has at all.
I still need 40GB and 160million polies to displace bunch of fabrics on five chairs in simple scene. And up-close, it's still terrible. If 2D displacement definitely isn't coming, then it would good to contemplate geopattern. Because right now Corona can't recreation fraction of the micro-detail Vray or Fstorm can with their alternative methods. We don't have any.

This is more quality-of-life improvement for people who have displacement maps without acompanying normal map than visual quality improvement.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-11-09, 10:35:20
Reply #453

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Same here. It may work well in some isolated cases but so far I had to set it back to 2 (and less) to look good on all the projects using displacement.
The goal of good looking displacement without excessive RAM usage is not reached yet, it seems.

2018-11-09, 12:16:06
Reply #454

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

The default is now 4px ? That is strange decision, that's like zero displacement unless you're rendering your 8k final and you only displace big stuff like Rock relief. With all due respect to auto-bump, it's not even remotely similar to displacement at all. We could have blended displacement and bump(or normal) map before as well. This simply recreates the same look without the use of bump map but it doesn't enhance the look of displacement at all.

I've tested this quite some in recent days and I personally don't see any improvement at all (yes it's turned on).
To displace fabrics and micro-detail, 0.5px and less is still necessary. This is not real alternative to 2D(Texture-space) displacement that Vray has at all.
I still need 40GB and 160million polies to displace bunch of fabrics on five chairs in simple scene. And up-close, it's still terrible. If 2D displacement definitely isn't coming, then it would good to contemplate geopattern. Because right now Corona can't recreation fraction of the micro-detail Vray or Fstorm can with their alternative methods. We don't have any.

This is more quality-of-life improvement for people who have displacement maps without acompanying normal map than visual quality improvement.

I believe geopattern is polling high on the most wanted feature thread. I agree it would be such an improvement.

2018-11-09, 12:31:16
Reply #455

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
GeoPattern would only help is some cases, and it's a bit more work to set up than a map. I'd say in those cases where you need displacement, not even 20% would be handled better by a feature like GeoPattern. The majority is good old displacement by map and there's still room for improvement.

2018-11-09, 12:34:28
Reply #456

ecximer

• Active Users
  • Scriptobot
    • View Profile
your light lister crashes max.
why not use already completed plugin, where everything is thought out and everything works? unbelievable
sorry for my english

2018-11-09, 12:35:42
Reply #457

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
GeoPattern would only help is some cases, and it's a bit more work to set up than a map. I'd say in those cases where you need displacement, not even 20% would be handled better by a feature like GeoPattern. The majority is good old displacement by map and there's still room for improvement.

Id much rather scatter geometry that has detail on all axis than use displacement in most cases. Ive never understood why vector displacement isnt more of a thing tbh simply because of the detail you can achieve with a single map.

2018-11-09, 12:51:05
Reply #458

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
I've been totally out of the loop for about a year now, but dare I ask when 2d displacement will be added to Corona?, its basically the only thing on my wishlist :)

2018-11-09, 13:23:04
Reply #459

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Id much rather scatter geometry that has detail on all axis than use displacement in most cases. Ive never understood why vector displacement isnt more of a thing tbh simply because of the detail you can achieve with a single map.
That's really per use case. Geometry might work for repetitive patterns, tiles etc but what about irregular ones? That's what I had in mind. One needs go into insanely low values to get sufficient detail from displacement and with irregular map-based displacement Geopattern will not help.

2018-11-09, 13:57:00
Reply #460

MarekB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
why not use already completed plugin, where everything is thought out and everything works? unbelievable
Hi, can you please tell us in which case the crash occurs? Isn't it a case where you have something like 250+ lights/scatters in the scene? If so, this issue is currently being addressed.

2018-11-09, 21:40:42
Reply #461

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
<snip>

That's really per use case. Geometry might work for repetitive patterns, tiles etc but what about irregular ones? That's what I had in mind. One needs go into insanely low values to get sufficient detail from displacement and with irregular map-based displacement Geopattern will not help.

Good point. I Feel vector displacement is probably somewhere in between standard displacement and geopattern

2018-11-11, 14:36:39
Reply #462

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I've been totally out of the loop for about a year now, but dare I ask when 2d displacement will be added to Corona?, its basically the only thing on my wishlist :)

It has been discarded for now, the devs feel the "auto-bump" is better solution to our problem. Join our voices, as that definitely isn't the case.

Hey, Ondra is in London soon, you can tell him :- ).

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=22298.0;topicseen
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-11-11, 15:45:12
Reply #463

draxdamax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This happens only on DR with the latest daily build :

2018-11-11, 20:26:56
Reply #464

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi ecximer. I like your light lister really much and I missed it much since the time when it stopped work with Corona 2. Did you update it for Corona 3? Would be nice to work with it again