Author Topic: Is there a way to control the amount of a map in a matrerial via an external map  (Read 2529 times)

2019-09-23, 19:38:24

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
See the diagram of what I'm trying to achieve. It will explain it a lot better than writing it.

Reasons explained in the image as well.

2019-09-23, 19:59:01
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think you can use mix node and plane colour for that, but i don't know if mix controls are accesible through maxscript.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-09-24, 00:37:26
Reply #2

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, do you have any idea what specific mix will give the same results?

Given that the value here in the material is 33, I've tried mixing in a coronamix with linear and 0.33 in rgb and trying all mix types but nothing seems to match up.

Most properties are available to maxscript in maps except the curve editor which is a pain in the buttocks to get working.

2019-09-24, 01:16:08
Reply #3

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Not near Max right now, so I haven't tested it, but here's what I would try with a Max mix-map:

What makes it a bit tricky, is that you're using 2 values: the reflection glossiness value is set to 0,65 and the map "strength" is set to 33%.

So first I would put a color map in one mix-slot using a color that equals the 0,65 value. In the other slot I would put the glossiness map, and set the mix to 33%. Then I would set the reflection glossiness value to 1.

As I said, I haven't tested it, but I think it should work.

Hope it helps

2019-09-24, 10:58:48
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yep, do exactly like PROH said and you'll have identical result. Just couple tips from me. Plug your texture into second mix node's slot, so you don't have to do inverse conversion in mix amount and use Corona colour picker to set colour in slot 1, again, no conversion is needed.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-09-24, 11:15:39
Reply #5

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Many, many thanks to the two of you.

Instead of the corona color picker, I've added a CoronaColor with the values there and in linear color space.

2019-09-24, 11:37:39
Reply #6

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can also just leave all the HDR values at 1.0 and only use the output amount set to 0.65, saves some time, result will be the same.

2019-09-24, 11:42:59
Reply #7

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, it'll be all done via maxscript anyway :) to convert the scene down to the bare maps. But it might shave of a few milliseconds.

I might test this later for the fun of it.

2019-09-25, 17:36:48
Reply #8

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This test included converting the diffuse slots similar to the glossy only it needed to have the diffuse base color considered..

Seting the hdr point3 values
"Converting 96 materials..."
"Finished in: 1011 [MILLISECONDS]"

Setting the multiplier
"Converting 96 materials..."
"Finished in: 928 [MILLISECONDS]"

1011-928 = 83 milliseconds

Sure does beat doing it by hand!!