Author Topic: First Workstation  (Read 3757 times)

2020-06-17, 17:27:11

Goliash

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I build my first workstation. Last two weeks I spent all my free time with planning how to build a new computer and what components to choose for my budget, which is 2000 €.

I create a topic where I tried discuss if is better build computer to future upgrade or to sell it later and then build new one.

Topic is here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=29769.0

I thought about that and I decide to build computer to sell it later (about 1-2years later) or maybe I use it like a render farm if I will need it.

On the paper I had a couple of ideas. Finally this is my choice with few sentences why I choose that components.

ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (WiFi) - Because M.2, Pcie 4.0, Wifi, 128Gb Ram 4400 Mhz

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x - 12 cores, most cores in my budget, Intel is too expensive

NOCTUA NH-U12S SE-AM4 - Is quiet

RAM Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series 64 GB KIT DDR4 3200 MHz CL16-20-20-38 - This RAM I found for good price.

MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GAMING X 8GB (14000Mhz) - I choose that piece because is quiet and it´s possible to use that in interactive rendering (if I´m right). I still play with thought buy used gtx 1080ti..It´s cheeper and much more vram for heavy scenes, but I´m little bit scared buy used products and for my it´s maybe overkill.

SSD ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB - Because M.2 SSD

HDD Seagate BarraCuda 3 TB - Good price, hope enough space

PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750 W Gold - Is enough and lot of types of protection

Fractal Design Define S - I choose it, because lot of space, air circulation and it´s silent

27" BenQ GW2765HT <- I´m not happy with this choice, because is pretty old, but I don ´t found any good alternatives in same price :/

Now I´m little bit up like is my budget. About 300 €. So if you have some idea what to change, I´m open to discuss.

So what do you think?

Do you see any issue? Do you have better idea?

2020-06-24, 12:05:15
Reply #1

Goliash

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I´m thinking to change motherboard from ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (WiFi) to ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING. I check VRM tier list and it´s maybe better choice.
Today I am also more inclined to buy used gtx 1080ti. I´m still little bit scared buy used graphic card, but it will be needed for smooth work.
What do you think, is it good choice?

2020-06-24, 14:02:15
Reply #2

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GAMING X 8GB (14000Mhz) - I choose that piece because is quiet and it´s possible to use that in interactive rendering (if I´m right).

You can't use a GPU for interactive rendering. Corona uses only CPU. But you can use it for denoising, but you don't need an expensive GPU for denoising.
 You can also use a a good GPU maybe for Arnold GPU or other renderers and 2d software like Davinci Resolve.

2020-06-24, 14:54:33
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If you don't need pcie4, then you can look at freshly released b550 boards. The reviews are good and you can save some bucks on them.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-06-25, 11:53:02
Reply #4

Goliash

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for the reply.
Sorry sebastian___ I wrote that not clear. I mean to use Nvidia in interactive rendering for denoising. But I have question, because I never use that.
Is the result in interactive rendering with Nvidia denoising better like with Corona HQ? Do you see in interactive rendering more details with Nvidia denoiser like with Corona HQ denoiser?
In the corona website is that Nvidia GPU denoiser "can smartly blur noise, but also to produce detail". What´s your experience?
I have also one more question about GPU. In every GPU is, how much MHz it have. Is it important for 3ds Max and Corona? Is better choose 14000, like for example 7000 MHz GPU? Or it doesn´t matter.
Thanks romullus. I'll have time tomorrow so I'll look into it

2020-06-25, 12:17:28
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Corona HQ denoiser does not work in interactive rendering, as well as Intel  denoiser. Only Nvidia Optix denoiser is compatible with Corona's IR, because it's real-time. And no, denoiser does not give you more details, it can only smear details out. Whether you will like denoised interactive rendering, or not, it's a matter of personal preferences. I liked it very much. So much, that i would never consider to buy non Nvidia card.

For the second question - megahertz does not matter for 3ds Max, nor for Corona. Basically, the only thing that matters for the two, is amount of VRAM - the more the merrier.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-06-29, 14:27:50
Reply #6

Goliash

• Active Users
    • View Profile
romullus thak you for explain
So finally I decide for this hardware:
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
NOCTUA NH-U12S SE-AM4
Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series 64 GB KIT DDR4 3200 MHz CL16
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro SSD 1 TB
Seagate BarraCuda 3 TB
GIGABYTE GeForce AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G
Seasonic Focus GX 750 W Gold
Fractal Design Define S

In pcpartpicker.com I don´t see any issue, so I hope it will work without any problems.
Thaks to all who reply. If you have any idea, or see some issue, pls let me know. Tomorrow I start ordering.