Author Topic: Sell or upgrade first workstation?  (Read 2596 times)

2020-06-14, 21:53:02

Goliash

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello everyone.
In next few weeks I will buy my first workstation. But before, I would like to know what´s the better idea.
I'm the person who like planning little bit to future, before to do something.
For that, before I decide what components choose for build workstation I want to know what to put more emphasis on.
One option is build PC and after 1 or 2 years sell that for lower price, maybe to some gamer and then build another machine, stronger with new components. In that case I lost some value, but I don't know how much. Somewhere I read that computer lost 2% every week, somewhere 20% per year. I don't know which info is correct.
The second option is to assemble the computer so that it can be upgraded in one or two years and I will use that next couple of years. In this case I count with change mainly CPU and GPU. In that case i see big disadvantage, that i spent now less money from my budget for cpu and gpu with bigger vram, and more for motherboard and other components.
My budget is 2000 €.
So what, how to decide?
Sell or upgrade?
I'm a curious how you choose your workstation?
What are you doing with older workstation?
« Last Edit: 2020-06-15, 09:56:16 by Goliash »

2020-06-15, 14:31:17
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I use old workstations as render nodes, for my own "mini-farm" of one main machine that I work on, and two render nodes of older computers I no longer work on :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-06-16, 17:20:44
Reply #2

Goliash

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for your response.
So do you think it will be the best to build a computer considering that it will use as a render farm?