Author Topic: VRay vs Corona (yes, again) - SCENE INCLUDED  (Read 35096 times)

2015-05-20, 22:59:44
Reply #30

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"a real-world camera will almost always show more noise"

Oh come on.. what camera, what you are shooting, what's the purpose... more noise than what??

Do you want to compare your renders to a smartphone photography or to a phase one or hasselblad photo with a serious lens and ligting setup all done by a pro?

I don't care about some of the noise going on... but seriously... what do you mean by a real-world camera with noise?? I'm all good with a noise levels of a ISO 100 or less done with a pro lens and at a reasonable shutter speed but none of the renders in this thread don't match that quality...

Now I don't want to bitch about quality and comparing stuff to vray cause it doesn't make sense unless corona has some adaptivity going on and primary GI biased solution for fast lighting previews and handles caustics possibly dispersion well also a dedicated skin shader and hair shading would be nice and much more that is not just present yet in corona..

Corona does goddamn good job in what it does and I hope it will get even better and I personally don't want it to be another vray I want something easier to use and much better possibly...

I get that there is possibility to compare under certain circumstances, controlled conditions these two renderers  but really.. If I would need a character rendering corona is outta game no matter the speed... and again.. If I need fast setup but don't care about times too much corona is my tool of choice..

Until two renderers aren't capable of the same things we are not comparing apples to apples sorry... it's like with arnold, arnold doesn't have cached GI solutions.. how can you compare it with interior renderings if it's all brute force?? Why would you even compare PT+PT in corona and arnold when you can use PT+UHD in corona?

When we are talking archviz, vray is still a beast and you can rely on it! Corona is still a newcommer but very capable one... For me the selling point is ease of use and reasonable rendertimes...

2015-05-20, 23:01:26
Reply #31

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile

Never thought I would see this outside of maxwell fan forum :D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-05-20, 23:05:44
Reply #32

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
For me the selling point is ease of use and reasonable rendertimes...

for me the same. Corona is easy to use. About speed, it's not too bad.
Waiting adaptive sampling and some good, robust primary caching method.

2015-05-21, 14:37:21
Reply #33

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Never thought I would see this outside of maxwell fan forum :D

Not sure what you mean... Give me an example so I can check my wording to be compliant with what you expected.

What I'm saying is that if you go out with your camera and shoot stuff with the conditions mostly given (no additional light setup) you end up with noise in the image no matter what, and even if you take the high-end gear + a light setup, a photograph will never be noise free. But that's not what we're discussing here.

The problem with the examples from Vray is - again, for me, not sure how they'd say it on another forum - that you end up with a completely noise-free wall next to a noisy object for example. It just doesn't look natural. Adaptivity should do its work on areas that take longer to sample to achieve a level of noise matching the rest of the image. It's more a balancing than completely removing any noise.
I agree though that, after all, it's probably a personal preference and the need for entirely noise-free images will depend on what the desired outcome is.

2015-05-21, 14:58:44
Reply #34

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
What I'm saying is that if you go out with your camera and shoot stuff with the conditions mostly given (no additional light setup) you end up with noise in the image no matter what, and even if you take the high-end gear + a light setup, a photograph will never be noise free. But that's not what we're discussing here.

The problem is that path tracing produces a different type of noise than real world cameras, because the direction of light particles is reversed during simulation. If you trace light particles from light in light tracing algorithm (not paths from camera in path tracing), you get a different type of noise which is much more pleasant - in that case I would agree with your argument. But light tracing is not practical algorithm (although I have it implemented in Corona).

tl;dr: ray tracer noise is different from real camera noise, you are better off rendering a clean image and adding different noise in postpro.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-05-21, 15:10:55
Reply #35

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Another, common problem in V-Ray is that the noise is NOT uniform.
In Corona, usually, the noise is uniform. And I prefer this situation, instead to fight (and spend hours) with V-Ray render elements to find a good compromise...

Maybe, with the next Corona adaptive sampling we will have the same problem (but I hope no ^__^)

« Last Edit: 2015-05-21, 15:49:14 by cecofuli »

2015-05-21, 23:18:11
Reply #36

Alex Abarca

• Active Users
  • Corona Certified Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Instagram

2015-05-21, 23:23:46
Reply #37

cecofuli

• Active Users