Author Topic: Nvidia real-time raytracing  (Read 28289 times)

2018-09-25, 16:11:45
Reply #45

Marian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
According to Linus, RTX series will not allow to share (expand) graphics memory through NVlink.
  Just hit 04min13s

2018-09-26, 08:19:48
Reply #46

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
So far we've got confirmation from Nvidia that memory pooling isn't built into NVLink per say but the developers will have the option to implement it themselves.

To quote somebody from the GPU groups on other sites:
"Memory pooling is possible for GeForce RTX according Nvidia’s Director of Technical Marketing, Tom Peterson, during HotHardware on their 2.5 Geeks podcast:

Petersen explained that this would not be the case for GeForce RTX cards. The NVLink interface would allow such a use case, but developers would need to build their software around that function.

“While it's true this is a memory to memory link; I don't think of it as magically doubling the frame buffer. It's more nuanced than that today,” said Petersen.

According to Jules from OTOY NVLink memory pooling is going to be implemented in Octane 2018.1. I think ChaosGroup has hinted on doing that as well in some of their blog posts.

It is not a 100% but it does seem fairly clear still.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-09-26, 11:54:41
Reply #47

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
From what I can gather, memory pooling is not possible on the RTX cards with gaming due to the massive amounts of data throughput needed + not inducing realtime lag. For this to happen the NVlink bridge would need to be as fast as the GDDR6 chips to stop bottlenecking.

However rendering seems to be a different use case and should in theory be possible as it's not as hamstrung by realtime demands (and taking into account everything Vlado has mentioned in blog posts).
Vray who?

2018-10-09, 21:49:25
Reply #48

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2018-10-12, 19:25:30
Reply #49

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-10-13, 11:55:28
Reply #50

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Performance of 6x1080ti and 22GB Vram. That's pretty solid setup :- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-10-13, 16:28:19
Reply #51

bryanwrx

• Active Users
    • View Profile
some gpu benchmark testing

2018-10-15, 07:54:10
Reply #52

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
There is this cool reddit topic (is it called a topic? Oh, nvm...) where this user "daffy_ch" is posting all the bits and pieces that devs / gpu renderirsters post online regarding the new RTX cards. I recommend checking it out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RenderToken/comments/9j0zdq/10_gigarays_translate_to_32_gigarays_in_real/
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us