Author Topic: Blender new viewport Eevee  (Read 52578 times)

2017-07-19, 03:13:08

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
I am really stunned by Blender's new viewport called eevee. This is going to be huge competition for marmoset toolbag and possibly game engines in the future(once VR becomes a thing in Blender). Makes me wonder why Autodesk isn't implementing something like this in 3dsmax. 3dsmax deserves a better viewport imho. Love 3dsmax but Autodesk seems to be more focused on Maya with each new release.

It's still in early development and they intend to add soft shadows, sss and other stuff quite soon. Autodesk better get 3dsmax viewport upgraded.

2017-07-19, 07:59:51
Reply #1

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Blender cycles is getting disney principled shader and denoising in 2.79 and this PBR viewport in 2.80... Making autodesk run for their money faster and faster :D

2017-07-19, 10:23:32
Reply #2

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Making autodesk run for their money faster and faster

2017-07-19, 19:57:30
Reply #3

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Makes me wonder why Autodesk isn't implementing something like this in 3dsmax. 3dsmax deserves a better viewport imho.
Well, you usually don't care much about your lawn if your house is on fire. They cut back on R&D expenses, software maintenance and people - they fired 10% of their staff "recently", including the complete Viewport dev team for max. So afaik there currently is not one developer left who has been working on the current Viewport technology in max.
But honestly, I don't need a "realtime"/"engine" like viewport if max doesn't even handle tangent/bi-normals correctly :D Normal maps look like crap anyways.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2017-07-20, 05:37:29
Reply #4

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Blender cycles is getting disney principled shader and denoising in 2.79 and this PBR viewport in 2.80... Making autodesk run for their money faster and faster :D
I heard about the Disney shader. Definitely trying it once it's out. I am not happy with the slow development 3dsmx is getting while Maya gets all the attention. I must admit I am loving Blender more as I continue to use it. It's being adopted now by studios as an auxillary tool and some employees are now allowed to use it in projects which is good news. I think the competition is a good for the industry. I remember reading somewhere that Blender was downloaded 6 million times last year and is being downloaded half a million times a month. I am glad I use it from time to time. It's a great software.

@ Fritzlachatte   Autodesk better run, there are rumours that they might drop 3dsmax sometime the way Softimage was killed off. Or maybe merge 3dsmax and Maya into one? But I am curious, if they merge 3dsmax into Maya, I wonder if the archviz industry will still embrace it.

Well, you usually don't care much about your lawn if your house is on fire. They cut back on R&D expenses, software maintenance and people - they fired 10% of their staff "recently", including the complete Viewport dev team for max. So afaik there currently is not one developer left who has been working on the current Viewport technology in max.
But honestly, I don't need a "realtime"/"engine" like viewport if max doesn't even handle tangent/bi-normals correctly :D Normal maps look like crap anyways.
That's not cool on their part. 3dsmax viewport has been really crapy for a long time. Meanwhile they keep developing Maya's viewport 2.0.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-20, 05:52:19 by melviso »

2017-07-20, 14:56:22
Reply #5

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Max installbase is several times bigger than Maya's =) Rumor spreading about Max's death was a popular hobby.

2017-07-20, 15:10:57
Reply #6

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Max installbase is several times bigger than Maya's =) Rumor spreading about Max's death was a popular hobby.

Yeah, not max nor maya is going to be abandoned anytime soon... Doesn't make sense with subscription system i guess...

It's just that competition is becoming more and more attractive with every new release.

2017-07-21, 01:24:33
Reply #7

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo

Really? I have always thought Maya had more users due to it's use in movies, tv, animations, vfx and all. 3dsmax seems used more in archviz and construction/automobile firms. Thus why Maya is getting more features and the supposed rumours.

2017-07-21, 16:48:40
Reply #8

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Try to think how many small arch-viz studios there are in the World, or in you Country or city. Also think how many freelancer too.
And think how many studio there are for movies/VXF etc... studios Maya based there are.

Yes, Maya is used, I think, for AAA movies, animations, etc... etc... but, 3ds max is more popular.

2017-07-21, 22:47:31
Reply #9

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Makes me wonder why Autodesk isn't implementing something like this in 3dsmax. 3dsmax deserves a better viewport imho.
do you have any info/source on this? AFAIK the viewport team moved to rendering API after nitrous was done
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-07-21, 22:50:30
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Really? I have always thought Maya had more users due to it's use in movies, tv, animations, vfx and all. 3dsmax seems used more in archviz and construction/automobile firms. Thus why Maya is getting more features and the supposed rumours.

AD is publicly traded, you can easily google their financials and annual reports, that include breakdowns by application ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-07-22, 10:40:20
Reply #11

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
do you have any info/source on this? AFAIK the viewport team moved to rendering API after nitrous was done
Closest thing I have found is the third post in this thread http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=8248862#post8248862 . It only refers to the shanghai team itself, not their work. Maybe there's something to be found in the "less public" forum but I can't link that of course, or it might be already gone anyways. Afaik it was the Shanghai team doing all the nitrous stuff over the years.

[Edit] Another one, linking the shanghai team to nitrous:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/3dsmax-2018-excuse-me-i-seem-to-be-looking-at-2017/m-p/7011596#M135332
« Last Edit: 2017-07-22, 10:52:57 by DeadClown »
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2017-07-24, 23:47:16
Reply #12

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
AD is publicly traded, you can easily google their financials and annual reports, that include breakdowns by application ;)

Thanks for the info. Then why the pandering towards Maya then? Is Maya easier to write code/ incorporate features for than 3dsmax?

Another really nice use of eevee viewport in Blender:

« Last Edit: 2017-07-24, 23:56:03 by melviso »

2017-07-25, 08:35:00
Reply #13

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info. Then why the pandering towards Maya then? Is Maya easier to write code/ incorporate features for than 3dsmax?
based on how it usually looks in bigger companies, they are not "pandering" in any way (such as "we are putting more developers on maya" or "we are forbidding max developers to add features" - they just have 2 independent teams, each working on single software, and one of them produces more new features for various reasons (such as legacy issues)

2017-07-25, 11:38:30
Reply #14

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
based on how it usually looks in bigger companies, they are not "pandering" in any way (such as "we are putting more developers on maya" or "we are forbidding max developers to add features" - they just have 2 independent teams, each working on single software, and one of them produces more new features for various reasons (such as legacy issues)

So why does 3dsmax continue to remain stale? Is Autodesk not questioning why this is or they don't care? I can't understand why 3dsmax continues to get a very crappy viewport compared to Maya. Even Maya has a lighter version. 3dsmax does not. Maya has better hair/vfx

3dsmax hair and fur still very much the same. At some point, we are gonna need some of these features like wind, ocean hair for archviz in the possible future. Better tools, easier life :)

Legacy issues? Any chance you can pls elaborate on this?