Author Topic: Creating a mask for “invisible” object  (Read 1418 times)

2020-10-28, 17:10:26

jojorender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,
I’m trying to masked out areas with a material on a plane that renders transparent but shows up in mask passes. This is for these situations where you need to mask everything behind an open window/ door etc.
Sure, I could render a second time, only for the masks, but I need this for the times when your deadline is at 6pm and you stop your render at 5:59… sounds familiar?
The only “weird” workaround I could find is to use Refraction / Thin (no refraction) and Reflection black value set to 0.1%.
Using no Reflection and the mask wouldn’t render at all.
While this workaround appears “invisible” in the rendered image, it technically still needs to calculate reflections that add to render time.
I tried many other things before that didn’t work. For example Comp tag “Seen by cam” unchecked / “visible in mask” visible.
Or, put the plane (not seen by cam / mask visible) in the multi pass “include selection”

Do you know of a better way to do this? Please let me know.
Thanks.

2020-10-29, 09:00:55
Reply #1

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I think I know what you want. I once asked a similar question... look at this thread:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=24443.msg147507#msg147507
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2020-10-29, 09:46:51
Reply #2

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Hey,

I am by no means an expert when it comes to Masks, but I think that adding a plane with just refraction and 1.0 IOR might work here. Or a 0.01% opacity plane.
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2020-10-29, 15:25:11
Reply #3

jojorender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you guys  for the quick response.
@aaouviz
funny, we almost used the same headline, but I only searched for masks in the c4d section…That’ll teach me…
I couldn’t get this approach to work. Texmap multi pass element in c4d has no incl/exclude list.

@mmarcotic
You are a mask expert! Both approaches worked. I think I’ll use the “REF1IOR”

While there are “dirty” workarounds, would be great if comp tag "not seen by cam" and “visible in mask” would actually work.