Author Topic: A bunch of shaders, e.g. (stochastic) flakes, specular normal etc.  (Read 4110 times)

2017-09-15, 21:48:58

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
I would like to see quite a few things but I try to keep it brief.

- Flakes: Now with the merger with Chaos Group, there might be a way to get those stochastic flakes. A normal flake shader would be fine too with irregularity, density, rim fall-off etc.

- Normal map in the specular/reflection channel: This ties a bit into the flakes topic but it would be generally useful to be able to break up specularity through a normal map's directions.

-Shadow-Side Shader: Everything that lies in the shadow. It would be nice to have a simple shader to be used as a mask. I really like creating planets and Sci-Fi stuff and currently, I have to rely on c4d's lumas shader in a colorizer in a layer as a mask. AO doesn't do the job.

- Emission map channel for volumes: Ties in well with the above

- Fade-out Radius in mm/cm/m for Volumes : The fresnel shader has to be readjusted if the perspective is changed. Also, a curve would be excellent to control it.

- Diffuse Roughness Slider

- Ptex Support

« Last Edit: 2017-09-21, 19:38:37 by Eddoron »

2017-09-19, 01:19:49
Reply #1

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
-Unchecking a channel would remove that shading component in the material: Imagine you have a Layered material but just want to add another reflection type added. If you could disable diffuse and just have a (bubble)  invisible material that would just reflect light, nothing else and not leaving behind that black material with the reflection, it being a lot easier to add as a layer, basically in one step. No more dancing with masks and refraction/opacity to just add one more specular type. It would be similar to Maxwell Materials, where you can easily layer them that way or C4D's Reflectivity layer stacks. This would also make the (planned automated or manual) conversion of materials a lot easier.

2017-09-20, 08:02:02
Reply #2

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
-Map slot for AO shader (/possible curvature shader) with own radius+fall-off in cm, blend-type, projection etc.: It would be nice to have a map slot where you can add a noise shader or a grunge map and specify it's influence attributes.
« Last Edit: 2018-02-18, 06:02:14 by Eddoron »

2017-09-20, 20:52:29
Reply #3

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
- Spectral rendering: Now, I know that this is quite a lot to ask for but it could give a nice boost in quality as well as making things simpler to handle, like dispersion and iridescence. Also, Maxwell users would be happy to see their materials look more like what they're used to.

2017-09-27, 01:46:25
Reply #4

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
-Caustics Blur Value:  General in options but also per material(override) would be nice.

2017-10-10, 16:13:51
Reply #5

menano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
-Flakes: Now with the merger with Chaos Group, there might be a way to get those stochastic flakes. A normal flake shader would be fine too with irregularity, density, rim fall-off etc.
-Map slot for AO shader (/possible curvature shader) with own radius+fall-off in cm, blend-type, projection etc.: It would be nice to have a map slot where you can add a noise shader or a grunge map and specify it's influence attributes.

Definitely