Author Topic: Sampling Balance  (Read 2997 times)

2017-02-21, 17:30:14

twc

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Has anyone come up with some ideal settings for different scenarios? The base settings are great for final renders but as much of my work involves copious amounts of "add this table, switch this material, and get it back in five minutes for review" I was wondering if there is a speedier arrangement for quick drafts. Such a thing obviously would not have to be completely accurate, but semi presentable.

I did RTFM regarding this section but some examples would help me understand the theory better.

2017-02-21, 18:42:47
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
In general for quick previews, it would be best to simply lower the number of passes / raise the noise limit / set a time to render that matches the time you have to produce the image / lower the resolution.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-02-21, 18:44:48
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The thing about GIvsAA balance is that you will end up with an image with almost identical quality in given time (e.g. 5 minutes) regardless of the settings you use.
Higher GIvsAA = better GI, worse AA
Lower GIvsAA = wrose GI, better AA
There is also LSM which controls the quality of light sampling (mainly visible in area shadows)

For quick previews (as far as I understand that's what you are after) you could set LSM to 1, and GIvsAA to ~8. That should give you faster feedback (more passes in less time), but quality will be worse in the long run.

You can also save some time (depending on the scene) by lowering UHD Cache precision to 0,1, but remember to revert it for final render. :)

Also: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000526159
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-02-21, 19:00:14
Reply #3

twc

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great tips. My scenes are 99.9% interiors at night, if that makes a difference. I'll have a play around with the suggestions.