Author Topic: Displacement & AO  (Read 2669 times)

2018-09-28, 18:14:27

elsombra

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi. I'm trying to do a brick wall with displacement on the wall itself and no displacement on edges. I put AO in displacement slot with black color in OC, and texture in UOC, and it works fine in Diffuse, but shows no effect in Displacement. Any suggestion on how to achieve this effect?

2018-09-28, 20:34:45
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
AO is affected by displacement, therefore it cannot be used as mask, as that would create dependency loop. You have to use other methods to mask edges - vertex colour or curvature shader for example.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-09-29, 00:47:36
Reply #2

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
... curvature shader for example.

Cool, will it be in soon?

2018-09-29, 08:42:02
Reply #3

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
I looked for a simpler solution by using the wire-, round edges-, native ao and so on shader masks & mixes. They do work, but as one would expect, the displacement has top priority.

C4D has an option to apply textures before or after displacement, but that's just for colors etc. Maybe some option/checkbox for AO to be applied before displacement would be helpful. I'm too tired to think of something more useful. Maybe make the displacement respect the order of the shaders/maps in a layer shader if one's used. Everything optional of course.

Otherwise, well you can do it manually but in my opinion, that's not very elegant.
You could bake out an AO map or the gradient shader (2D Box mode)and use it as a mask for the displacement but, I'd rather go with vertex maps and just insert some poly loops or a tiny bevel if the face count is to low. Adjusting these poly modifications is simple.
Anyway, who would want an infinitely sharp corner? that's just unrealistic but incredibly dangerous! Imagine someone wanting to go around the corner but being distracted by their mobile phone, the person turns around too early and abracadabra, you have a two cadavra people who are alive and well, like Jørgenson. However, having split into two people, as Riker did in TNG with the transporter malfunction, would create a bureaucratic hellfire.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-29, 08:46:59 by Eddoron »