Author Topic: Which one is better choice for advanced modeling?  (Read 3034 times)

2018-01-30, 16:06:53

fa2020

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,
If someone intended to model a complex object which one would be better choice in the terms of quality, accuracy and ease of use?
1) SubD softwares like 3DS MAX
2) SolidWorks along with PowerSurface plug-in installed.
3) Rhino along with T-Spline plug-in installed.
Note that the objective is just single frame rendering, not animation. The final model will be rendered in an another software. The issue is just modeling.
Consider the following model as the objective:
« Last Edit: 2018-01-30, 16:27:10 by fa2020 »

2018-01-31, 16:57:18
Reply #1

Charlie Nicols

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In my opinion I would use 3DS MAX / MAYA or MODO for something like this.

3DS wise I would refer to https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSLLdTBwLMfTKWS56tOiQpw for any tips on modelling. Can even request custom models off him I believe.

2018-01-31, 17:09:27
Reply #2

fa2020

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In my opinion I would use 3DS MAX / MAYA or MODO for something like this.

3DS wise I would refer to https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSLLdTBwLMfTKWS56tOiQpw for any tips on modelling. Can even request custom models off him I believe.
Thanks for the guidance but if you look carefully you'll notice that there are many tiny holes at the lower parts that their edges are smooth so simple boolean won't work. How is it possible to make those many holes using SubD method?

2018-01-31, 18:11:10
Reply #3

Charlie Nicols

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Rough guide!
I would poly model it;

Start with a flat plane
Sub dived it to a level where the polygons match the hole size and then cutout according to the details, alternating lines.

Add a Shell modifier ** edit to this, you should extrude the geometry back to create the constraint lines if using turbo smooth.

Now decide which smoothing option you want to use.
Turbo smooth or Open Subdiv. Add to the top of your mod stack.

Under that modifier add an edit poly that controls either your crease strength if using Open Sub div or constraint lines if using turbo smooth. 

When happy add a bend modifier and curl up into a 360 degree mesh.

* you can also start with a very small section of the detail and then just array it along and weld.
* work out the circumference of the detail and lay out the plane accordingly.

2018-01-31, 18:20:14
Reply #4

Charlie Nicols

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2018-02-01, 13:20:51
Reply #5

jrgby

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This would be quite simple to model in solidworks, especially if you have the object to hand and a good ruler + pair of digital calipers.
Perforated holes can be taken care of with the Fill Pattern feature.

2018-02-01, 13:27:01
Reply #6

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
That perforated mesh is very easy to create. Model the first column and array it around the circle then weld + shell + subdivide the mesh :)

Actually, the easiest way would be making the first column then arraying it straight on a flat plane as long as you need. Weld all parts together then bend the whole thing 360 degrees and shell modifier + subdivide as needed.

Can also use extrude with create caps and 91 degree min angle if you're using C4D for example since it doesn't have Shell modifier like Max has.

This is much easier then welding them around the circular array.

Here's a quick test model that I created this way in like maybe 10min total. Of course, you would model the first column pattern as needed (crosshatch in your image for instance).

Hope it helps a bit :)

EDIT:
All of this was considering you choose sub-d approach. If you know Solidworks or Rhino then this model is a piece of cake to replicate there, no extra shenanigans like this to do just simple operations :)
« Last Edit: 2018-02-01, 15:15:37 by tomislavn »
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn