Author Topic: Perforated Brick  (Read 8211 times)

2018-01-16, 11:06:00

davidmcgowan90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone, I am looking to render an internal scene that features a Perforated Brick wall. Similar to the attached photograph. Has anyone ever rendered something like this before? Would it be best to model the individual bricks with the gaps inbetween for the holes nd attach a brick texture, or am i missing out on a different/better way.

Thanks
David

2018-01-16, 11:12:08
Reply #1

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think the easiest way is to simply model and instance a single brick.

2018-01-16, 11:12:53
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think simply modeling this would be the best and fastest solution.
It could be as well made with splines and then extruded.

Or another idea is using the new Corona Scatter, which has "running grid" option when scattering a regular pattern. This could be an interesting experiment, however could be a bit tricky.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-01-16, 11:24:51
Reply #3

davidmcgowan90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I will let you know how it goes. I have also begun experimenting with the Sigershaders material pack, so hoping to get some good results.

Will update after a few tests.

2018-01-16, 11:37:43
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Or another idea is using the new Corona Scatter, which has "running grid" option when scattering a regular pattern. This could be an interesting experiment, however could be a bit tricky.

Actually that works surprisingly well in this situation :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-01-16, 11:40:40
Reply #5

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Done in 3min. Just modeled a quick brick, created first row and copy-pasted the rest in a few steps. Guess it doesn't get easier and faster then that. Every other way will just take you more time since you will have to search and learn it :) Meanwhile you could have created it already by hand.

Attached dropbox link to this simple model (fbx 7.5) so you can experiment with it if you wish. It has high poly count since I subdivided it and sculpted over it for details but you can lower that a lot and just create a good looking displaced material.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rg5lwlkmweyuiqd/bricks_simple.zip?dl=0

My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2018-01-16, 12:35:47
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Guess it doesn't get easier and faster then that.

Not necessarily. What if you will need to constantly change bricks dimensions or gaps between them? What if there has to be kilometers long and hundreds meters tall walls with gazillion bricks in them? You may find that premodelled segments doesn't give you enough flexibility. Corona scatter easily addresses all those problems. And it doesn't take much longer if at all to set it up. Of course it has big disadvantage in that it has very limited amound of stacking patterns available, but hopefully it could be improved in future versions.

Edit: if more patterns are needed, good alternative to Cscatter could be Railclone plugin by Itoo Software.
« Last Edit: 2018-01-16, 12:39:10 by romullus »

2018-01-16, 12:38:40
Reply #7

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Guess it doesn't get easier and faster then that.

Not necessarily. What if you will need to constantly change bricks dimensions or gaps between them? What if there has to be kilometers long and hundreds meters tall walls with gazillion bricks in them? You may find that premodelled segments doesn't give you enough flexibility. Corona scatter easily addresses all those problems. And it doesn't take much longer if at all to set it up. Of course it has big disadvantage in that it has very limited amound of stacking patterns available, but hopefully it could be improved in future versions.

True story :) Meant it was pretty easy for his simple flat wall that he had to create.

2018-01-16, 12:48:27
Reply #8

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
debris maker 2 is fast for making bricks wall

2018-01-17, 13:37:31
Reply #9

davidmcgowan90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you all for your input! And thanks for the link to the model. However I will need to add the mortar nbetween the bricks, which I can't find a easily modifiable way of modelling this so i can control and edit the brick and mortar elements. I am also looking for a white brick texture, do people use the corona materials website for there textures? I have Siger Shader installed but no such high quality brick materials.

THanks again for all the help. This forum is pretty awesome and have only just started using it.

2018-01-17, 14:48:38
Reply #10

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Thank you all for your input! And thanks for the link to the model. However I will need to add the mortar nbetween the bricks, which I can't find a easily modifiable way of modelling this so i can control and edit the brick and mortar elements. I am also looking for a white brick texture, do people use the corona materials website for there textures? I have Siger Shader installed but no such high quality brick materials.

THanks again for all the help. This forum is pretty awesome and have only just started using it.

You could model the mortar around a single brick and then scatter/array them together as you need :) Shouldn't be that much of a problem to be honest.

EDIT: Added a simple example - If you need more detail or combine it with non-perforated brick wall, you can add mortar all the way around and scatter away :)
« Last Edit: 2018-01-17, 15:00:35 by tomislavn »

2018-01-18, 16:44:56
Reply #11

Rimas

• Active Users
  • Please refer all complaints to a brick wall nearby
    • View Profile

You could model the mortar around a single brick and then scatter/array them together as you need :) Shouldn't be that much of a problem to be honest.

EDIT: Added a simple example - If you need more detail or combine it with non-perforated brick wall, you can add mortar all the way around and scatter away :)

One quick improvement would be to attach the mortar mesh to the BOTTOM of the brick so that you don't see it at the top xD
A morning of awkwardness is far better than a night of loneliness...

2018-01-18, 17:06:23
Reply #12

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models

2018-01-18, 20:03:47
Reply #13

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Haha :D

2018-01-25, 11:37:25
Reply #14

davidmcgowan90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Anyone know a good place to find a high quality texture for an individual brick? As I have produced the 3D Model for the Perforated Brick Balcony but need to texture the bricks individually. I cant really find anything that isn't the complete brick wall texture... Any advice would be great!