Author Topic: Render sampling mask  (Read 5893 times)

2017-10-08, 05:08:26

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
The render region thread inspired me.

Would be nice to have the option to import a grayscale bitmap mask for areas that need additional samples. Or by selecting objects/properties from the multipass menu.
It could be set in a Corona camera, that would show an overlay preview and have an opacity slider.
Now I know that Corona has an adaptive system, but having the option to predefine areas of importance is always useful.

2017-10-09, 09:34:51
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think this would be too much hassle as there are interactive render regions already for refining specific areas.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-10-09, 17:53:45
Reply #2

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
I agree with Marcin. There's no point in having such a fine-grained control over the sampling in the scene, when you have adaptivity. And if you just want a quick preview, use the render regions.

2017-10-17, 12:04:56
Reply #3

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
I get the render region feature and it works very well, I use it often.
Maybe my wasn't clear. It's not about single frames but animations.
But imagine having an animation where the camera might go through a room and certain objects tend to produce more noise.
If one could use a mask render output of those objects and apply it to a fictitious extra sampling channel for the renderer, it could be resolved without having to go over the frames manually.
If the adaptivity can handle it at the same performance level, then it's fine.

2017-10-17, 16:45:34
Reply #4

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
I get the render region feature and it works very well, I use it often.
Maybe my wasn't clear. It's not about single frames but animations.
But imagine having an animation where the camera might go through a room and certain objects tend to produce more noise.
If one could use a mask render output of those objects and apply it to a fictitious extra sampling channel for the renderer, it could be resolved without having to go over the frames manually.
If the adaptivity can handle it at the same performance level, then it's fine.

Yeah, adaptivity should handle pretty much anything that you throw at it, as long as it has enough data. So if you render enough passes, you should not feel the need to ever tell the renderer where it should concentrate rays (unless you want just a preview, which is where you'd use the render regions).