Author Topic: Price Increase  (Read 7113 times)

2024-01-24, 15:12:42
Reply #105

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If I remember correctly Corona's subscription started from 20/month. I do not recall the version number but I'm sure you wouldn't trade current Corona for the old one to save 10/month. You are getting more than you used to get. You might not like the things you are getting (Cosmos) but the value is there. Check car prices in Europe from the year Corona introduced subscription model to get some ideas about things getting expensive.

Regarding the USP? It is simply not there for you anymore most likely. But also look around and, if possible, show us a better deal from Chaos' competitors.

I get what you're saying but that £20 a month is what paid for the Corona we have today.  It funded development so it's not as simple as comparing the two like for like in that way.  And it really isn't £10 more.  The maths/increases have been explained multiple times over.  For some it's close to 1000% more than it was back then.

The other way to look at it is, with increased prices today, you'd expect more groundbreaking features and faster development, as more money is being injected into it in with the higher prices in theory.  But that doesn't seem to be the case.  As you said, we're literally paying more less, I'd even settle with paying more for the same, but the expectation naturally would be paying more for more.

2024-01-24, 15:26:22
Reply #106

RecentSpacesSam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As Tom mentioned there's a lot of different users with many different requests/priorities so perhaps it would be beneficial for the Corona team to archive the old "most requested features" thread (now almost 12 years old) and start the polls fresh to find out what the majority of users would find beneficial in their modern workflow?

With regards to development feeling like it's slowed, I imagine it's more a case of the product maturing and the shiny "big features" are already in place. A few years ago I remember seeing FStorm users getting excited about something like a masking render element - something basic that many other renderers already had.

2024-01-24, 15:34:49
Reply #107

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

+ VRay is the flagship product and it will always get more attention: you are paying less for less. Fair deal.

As Tom mentioned there's a lot of different users with many different requests/priorities so perhaps it would be beneficial for the Corona team to archive the old "most requested features" thread (now almost 12 years old) and start the polls fresh to find out what the majority of users would find beneficial in their modern workflow?

With regards to development feeling like it's slowed, I imagine it's more a case of the product maturing and the shiny "big features" are already in place. A few years ago I remember seeing FStorm users getting excited about something like a masking render element - something basic that many other renderers already had.

Also we shouldn't complain about Vray having more development without knowing how big its user base is compared to Corona's.

Note: By "new features" I always meant "new features" and/or improve existing ones.

Resetting the "most requested features" ranking would be nice.

Update: It would be nice if Scatter, cosmos, nodes, Vantage, library, etc is all sold as addons to the core Corona. I'm assuming it's not so good for business, but it would be nice I think.

2024-01-24, 15:43:15
Reply #108

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please accept some facts before complaining:

Does this explain that there's sill not a button to open CXR in the VFB?

2024-01-24, 15:50:28
Reply #109

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
The most wanted features topic is old, but the poll itself is getting reset after most major releases, so the votes reflect most recent requests.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2024-01-24, 15:53:19
Reply #110

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The most wanted features topic is old, but the poll itself is getting reset after most major releases, so the votes reflect most recent requests.
Tiles map is still there...

But also, it's very short. There are improvements that could be done in many existing features that are not shown on the list.

2024-01-24, 16:10:48
Reply #111

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I would argue that the list is actually very long - if the devs would start implementing every feature from it one by one, it would probably take 3-5 years to complete. Of course there are many requests that didn't make to the list and that's why there are comments section. Occasionally the team takes most discussed feature from the topic and puts it on the poll.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2024-01-24, 16:12:17
Reply #112

jasond

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The USP remains as always, our focus on absolute realism for archviz rather than being a general render engine

Please keep in mind that you have customers that are not using Corona strictly for archviz. While those users are clearly a major percentage of your user-base, please don't alienate those that aren't. We use it for animations of heavy machinery and most certainly use non-realistic features like the slicer that was introduced after years of requesting it and now the toon shader that people have mentioned to make stylized outlines.

2024-01-24, 17:08:03
Reply #113

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would argue that the list is actually very long
My impression is that Chaos may get the wrong impression of what's wanted just because everyone use all 3 votes in things they might not be super duper exited about.
If the list was larger the margin of error may be smaller.
IDK. Just my 2 cents.

2024-01-24, 17:30:27
Reply #114

Artisticpixel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • artisticpixel
If I remember correctly Corona's subscription started from 20/month. I do not recall the version number but I'm sure you wouldn't trade current Corona for the old one to save 10/month. You are getting more than you used to get. You might not like the things you are getting (Cosmos) but the value is there. Check car prices in Europe from the year Corona introduced subscription model to get some ideas about things getting expensive.

Regarding the USP? It is simply not there for you anymore most likely. But also look around and, if possible, show us a better deal from Chaos' competitors.

More doesn't mean better, I am creating as good a visual with 10 as I did with 7. And now because of the bloatware added onto 11 I am getting so many errors it is unusable in its current state, and having to swallow the price for it. Every time anyone tinkers with and adds to code of a program it creates the possibility of Nth amount of issues.
« Last Edit: 2024-01-24, 17:38:24 by Artisticpixel »

2024-01-24, 17:39:34
Reply #115

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Every time anyone tinkers with and adds to code of a program it creates the possibility of Nth amount of issues.

This is what I was talking about.  Last few releases have resulted in something breaking from the previous release, that was originally working absolutely fine.