Author Topic: TR 2970wx vs. Ryzen 3950x  (Read 2171 times)

2020-10-16, 23:31:24

fflasshh

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there,
I've now 2 rendes slaves, one is a Threadripper 2970wx, the new one is a Ryzen 3950x. Theoretically, the threadripper is faster in multithread, and the ryzen should be faster in single core calculations. Measuring with cinebench this is the case.
Now, I'm rendering an animation. After ca. 20 frames the threadripper is much faster, even at single core, at scene parsing. For one reason, the scene parsing time on the ryzen is gettin longer with every new frame. This is weird, since the ryzen should be much faster in single core.
(The scene pasring time is also getting longer on the threadripper too, but not no much, as on the ryzen.) My worstation is an Intel, the are the parsing times constant.
Does any of you encountered something like this?
EDIT: CPU usage on the 3950x is REALLY low, when scene parsing: i get ca. 5-15% during the parsing process. On the 2 other CPUs, the usage is 45-55%.
« Last Edit: 2020-10-17, 08:16:46 by fflasshh »

2020-10-17, 14:33:09
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Few possible things:

1) What version are you on? Apparently there was a bug with parsing time on animations. Not sure if it was fixed in H1 hotfix.

2) I have all sorts of machines from Intel and AMD (2990WX/3990X/3950X/2680v4/8280p) and one thing that constantly surprises me how random they fare during distributed rendering. Some scene, one or other Threadripper is twice faster than the Intel Xeons, then very next scene it's exactly opposite. The rendering performance absolutely doesn't follow individual benchmarks in DR.

3)I constantly find parsing time to be extremely weird in Distributed rendering. For years, it seems like for big portion of time in many instances per random, the CPU utilization is stuck in <5perc., or single-core and then shoots back to 100perc. Fully random. I suspect DR refers to "parsing" to include more stuff, like loading assets during opening 3dsMax scene, so it's not actually parsing even though it writes "parsing". 3dsMax is single-threaded.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!