Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520208 times)

2019-08-14, 20:17:02
Reply #525

philipb

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I've seen one or two test results suggesting it could be as much as 9-10C cooler. So that's a nice amount of headroom for PBO to do its thing.

But then maybe those results are not completely accurate. I think it was gamers-nexus and one other review. But, also with PBO Im not sure if the testing is well designed. I did all my research nearly a year ago, so hard to remember.

2019-08-14, 20:28:11
Reply #526

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
This is the test Philipb mentions, it was by GamerNexus, using the smaller 240mm version and even that one is already 5C Delta better when normalized for same noise.

But then you only have to look at one of many threads like this and you will realize that the product is simply a mistake in every single revision and iteration.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bbhxxz/thinking_enermax_liqtech_ii_tr4_dont/

Also, overclocking Threadripper doesn't give you higher single-core, that one already boosts as high as it gets ( +/- 4.1 GHz with good cooler) and with PBO you can get higher all-core boost which is nice if it's your only machine but otherwise easy to live without.
As Zen2 Ryzens shown, overclocking as we know it, is becoming a thing of a past. Useless.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-08-14, 21:04:54
Reply #527

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I mean yeah looking at that for the same of what 4 degrees id rather not risk leakage and know that i can probably fix any issue with the noctua myself.

2019-08-14, 22:22:37
Reply #528

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I must have been blind because they did test the 360mm version as well. It's 9 degrees. That's massive difference.

But it's what it is.. I wouldn't risk it either. And neither would I bother replacing it with warranty every year.

I suggest simply to swap to NH-D15 TR4 when it will come. The difference between U14S and D15S is 4-5C, but that's on much smaller surface area. For TR4 platform and with the new improved model, the difference will be easily 6-7C.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2019-08-17, 01:51:23
Reply #529

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Little update from my end. I've decided to stop for a moment and wait for ryzen 9 3950X to come and hopefully any news about new threadrippers (I crave for info about them, big time) Worst case scenario I'll end up with 3950X + 64 gigs of ram, best case scenario I'll buy new 32/64 TR. Buying 2990WX is also an option but still big question mark here........this is killing me.

2019-08-17, 09:14:03
Reply #530

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah right now waiting is probably the best.

2019-08-17, 19:25:56
Reply #531

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
Little update from my end. I've decided to stop for a moment and wait for ryzen 9 3950X to come and hopefully any news about new threadrippers (I crave for info about them, big time) Worst case scenario I'll end up with 3950X + 64 gigs of ram, best case scenario I'll buy new 32/64 TR. Buying 2990WX is also an option but still big question mark here........this is killing me.

Once the 3900x came out the prices for the 1920x/2920x really took a hit. Maybe when the 3950x comes out it will drop the 1950x/2950x, maybe even the 29xxwx's. The 1950x has gone on sale for really cheap lately. Microcenter had the 2970wx on sale for $700 at one point.

But yeah at this point waiting to see what comes next month is probably the best thing to do, otherwise you will most likely have buyers remorse.

2019-08-18, 14:46:34
Reply #532

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Haste makes waste as they say but it seems it's gonna be a long wait :(

2019-08-21, 00:25:19
Reply #533

kod3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • KOD3D
Hello to all,

Joining the threadripper fuzz I’ve ordered two of these machines, all water cooled with a 480 and a 360 each and lots of fans, ( big case )
I’ll let you know how it goes!

Case
THERMALTAKE CORE X71 TEMPERED GLASS EDITION CASE
Custom Liquid Cooling Kit
Liquid Series Extreme Kit - EK
Tubing
Clear Flexible Tubing (Black Fittings)
Graphics Card Water Cooling x2
CPU AMD Threadripper 2990WX 32 Core
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG ZENITH EXTREME ALPHA
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3000MHz (4 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti
2nd Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti
2nd Storage Drive
4TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB WD Black™ SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD (up to 3400MB/s R | 2900MB/s W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1600W PRO SERIES™ TITANIUM AX1600i DIGITAL MODULAR PSU
Braided Power Supply Cables
CORSAIR Premium Individually Sleeved PSU Cable Kit Pro - Black
Extra Case Fans
6x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit

Regards,

Konstantinos

2019-08-21, 13:12:41
Reply #534

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hah nice :- ). Very much like the build I did for Veronika.

Anyway,...my warning. CLEAN everything from EK before you build it. Flush with warm water, then Vinegar for radiators, then distilled water in the end.
EK claims everything is "clean, ready to mount", it's the biggest bullshit ever. I could show you how that turned out after 6 months...

Also, if you use their Primochill Premix, buy another concentrate and mix them together for stronger solution. By default it's 1:9, mix it so it's 1:8 or 1:7... it will work lot longer.

Post photos !!

2019-08-21, 13:19:02
Reply #535

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
I admire you peeps going at it with watercooling your workstations. I just can't bring myself to do it - too many question marks and too much hassle for me personally if I'm running it as a daily workstation. Still, the pros of going with watercooling are appealing for sure :)

Bravo everyone! :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-08-21, 14:59:36
Reply #536

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
EKWB "Ready to mount, no washing needed". Enjoy :- ) It took two days to take it apart and clean. This "was" 'clear tubing' and 'clear liquid', so nothing that can contaminate it.
I was stupid and lazy to trust marketing shit :- (.

2019-08-21, 15:20:52
Reply #537

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Let's face it Juraj, your decisions has nothing to do with stupidity, we all would do the same thing. When you buy very expensive car you just assume that it's ready to ride and free of flaws. Your experience should be a lesson for all of us and be posted on front page as a warning/reminder. Have you contacted EKWB?

Still don't know if I should admire Kod3d's courage or "rashness". I agree with niklar's perspective, my sentiments exactly.
« Last Edit: 2019-08-21, 15:27:00 by twoheads »

2019-08-21, 15:38:39
Reply #538

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Have you contacted EKWB?

I did...they sent me their blog post how to clean the parts :- ) Heh..so much for buying 1600 Euro in parts from them by now. Sterling customer service.

2019-08-21, 15:55:01
Reply #539

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile