Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520023 times)

2020-02-07, 14:17:20
Reply #855

PsychoBoyJack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys.
I want to build a new pc with the 3990 x. Starting to get info soon. If you have kinda working builds with this cpu, would be nice to share.
Thanks !!

2020-02-07, 16:10:11
Reply #856

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
So the reviews are out and... It's a beast for rendering. Like, nothing comes close to it in terms of fully threaded performance. Didn't expect much else really. Congratulations to the folks over at AMD, they are in a league of their own right now :)

That said, in one of the reviews I found an interesting bit - It appears Windows 10 Pro kind of sucks with 64+ thread systems. I have a 72 threaded one and boy, there certainly are some problems. Now that said, it appears that Windows 10 Pro for Workstations seems to fare better and it does affect the performance in rendering applications too!

Check it out on Anandtech -> https://www.anandtech.com/show/15483/amd-threadripper-3990x-review/5

Seems like Windows segmentation has already begun -_-
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2020-02-07, 16:14:37
Reply #857

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Some reviewers have been hitting 18s in Corona bench, insane!

I'm still happy with my 3970x though, managed to get a nice £150 discount on Amazon prime business. I'll probably end up getting a 64 core (or more?) when windows sorts out it's issues with +32 core systems, and by then the expected IPC gains from AMD will be next level.
Vray who?

2020-02-07, 16:19:45
Reply #858

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The jump I made in early 2016 from i7 4770K to Dual Xeon 2696 v3 was a 5-6x improvement for 4500€ (VAT included and complete system). Now the jump from Xeon 2696 v3 to TR3990X would be like a 2.7x improvement for the same 4500€ (VAT excluded) (only motherboard+cpu+cooler+ram) and I'm not too sure I'm going to do it.

2020-02-07, 16:25:36
Reply #859

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
The jump I made in early 2016 from i7 4770K to Dual Xeon 2696 v3 was a 5-6x improvement for 4500€ (VAT included and complete system). Now the jump from Xeon 2696 v3 to TR3990X would be like a 2.7x improvement for the same 4500€ (VAT excluded) (only motherboard+cpu+cooler+ram) and I'm not too sure I'm going to do it.

If I recall correctly you bought those 2696v3s used so I'm not sure that is a fair comparison in the grand scheme of things - I know you weren't going for that anyway but I just wanted to put it out there. The difference in bang for buck is crazy good these days compared to 5 years ago.

2020-02-07, 16:33:39
Reply #860

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile

If I recall correctly you bought those 2696v3s used so I'm not sure that is a fair comparison in the grand scheme of things - I know you weren't going for that anyway but I just wanted to put it out there. The difference in bang for buck is crazy good these days compared to 5 years ago.

That's true but back then only the CPU's were used. Everything else was bought new and I also paid VAT for it. Now it's the same price for roughly 4 parts and it's a company purchase so I'm quite undecided if I should go for it.

2020-02-07, 16:48:54
Reply #861

Giona

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • 3D - MTB - Photography
    • View Profile
    • Giona Andreani 3D Visualization
So the reviews are out and... It's a beast for rendering. Like, nothing comes close to it in terms of fully threaded performance. Didn't expect much else really. Congratulations to the folks over at AMD, they are in a league of their own right now :)

That said, in one of the reviews I found an interesting bit - It appears Windows 10 Pro kind of sucks with 64+ thread systems. I have a 72 threaded one and boy, there certainly are some problems. Now that said, it appears that Windows 10 Pro for Workstations seems to fare better and it does affect the performance in rendering applications too!

Check it out on Anandtech -> https://www.anandtech.com/show/15483/amd-threadripper-3990x-review/5

Is this problem of Win 10 Pro affecting only 64+ thread systems?

Anyway the performances of the 3990x are impressive!

2020-02-07, 17:45:24
Reply #862

pirillino

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, I'm just building now a new workstation with the 3970x.
I know that the main problem is the right decision for the cooler, so I ordered with many hesitation a Liqtech II TR4 360 on Amazon Italy.
All is running fine except the processor temp.
At idle I read 35-40 Celsius degrees, but when I start to stress the CPU (full load for only few minutes), I easily reach 80 degrees and I think that's not normal.
I used a Fractal Define R6 case with a lot of fan (intake and exaust) ant the radiator is placed in front, fresh air intake.
The Enermax termal paste supplied was a bit "solid", I spreaded it carefully on the whole surface, now I should find a solution.
Do you think that the Enermax could have a faulty pump?
There is something wrong with the thermal paste?
What else?

I would find a cause/solution possibly before disassembling and cleaning all.

I'm also considering the Noctua or Thermaltake Air solution, but I would leave me some headroom to overclock, and I see that the Noctua is barely compatible without further stress.
Thank you for any suggestion

2020-02-07, 18:28:18
Reply #863

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Do you think that the Enermax could have a faulty pump?

I wouldn't trust the liqtech as far as I could throw it, but that's just me.  I had a faulty one and it really messed me up for a few days.  I believe the issue still has not been fixed, either, something about the fluid inside.  I have heard you can modify it to give it a longer lifespan but am not sure how accurate those reports are.  All that said, the temperature sounds normal (and fine) to me.  You can see Juraj's posts a few pages back in response to me worrying about my temps being at 85C.

If I were you I'd keep an eye on the liqtech and have a backup Noctua 14s around for if\when it fails.

2020-02-07, 18:56:06
Reply #864

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Almos complete, waiting for Noctua Fans :) 

2020-02-07, 19:07:10
Reply #865

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Really liking the case :D What are the temps like?

2020-02-07, 19:10:54
Reply #866

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Really liking the case :D What are the temps like?

full load around 75-80, but I have only 3 on front and 2 on back, I want to replace them with Noctua and add 3 on top for hot air out

2020-02-07, 19:54:13
Reply #867

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2020-02-07, 20:11:29
Reply #868

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website

Is this problem of Win 10 Pro affecting only 64+ thread systems?

Anyway the performances of the 3990x are impressive!

Seems to be only for systems with 64+ threads as those create another processor group and are often even treated as a 2S system by Windows. Don't quote me on that last part though :)

2020-02-07, 20:32:26
Reply #869

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks fantastic Michael,

Where is an extra fan on noctua?

Thanks! :)

I had two Noctua on CPU but needed to put off one for the second PC ( old) my wife using it :D anyway CPU temperature is good. But as I will get new fans I will put the second for CPU

I ordered now 4 of Noctua NF-A14 PWM  &  3 of Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
waiting when they will arrive at me.