Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520033 times)

2018-09-07, 14:07:35
Reply #45

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
I am starting to get a suspicion that reason for delay across the world is due to revision (even if the revision is just out-of-the-box newer Uefi).

There is only miniscule amount of these boards out (outside of reviewers, but even those I can count of two hands) and already quite few of "stuff just freezes".

Hey Juraj, most of the issues with x399 board and 29xx series seem to be coming from memory. Related to timings and frequency mostly but i guess you already know that. Recently i follow  lot of threads about it.  Meg gets discussed a lot but it seems it`s bios related mostly . There is good thread here with links to MSI alpha bios version and progress

https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1705286-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-2970wx-2950x-2920x-owners-club-11.html

Larry B. there is actually guy who did the ryzen Dram calculator which helps to solve a lot of mem issues.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1640919-ryzen-dram-calculator-1-1-0-beta-2-overclocking-dram-am4.html

I have all my stuff already ordered, went for Aourus Extreme 128GB RAM.  Kit is https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2933c14q2-128gtzrx , both Meg an Aorus are on QVL lis, and i found people on forums running these mem sticks with the  Meg, Zenith too. Unfortunately i have to wait 10 days for ram kit , ordered directly from G.skill as there were zero pieces in stock in Europe.

Looking forward for your build updates :)

Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

2018-09-07, 14:16:47
Reply #46

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
So how much did the memory run you :- ) ?

The UEFI (bios) thing is rather strange given these boards came specifically for the TR gen2. Honestly have no idea what could have gone wrong for board that had one job exactly on market entrance.

The build I am going for will be real fun, not gonna post it yet as I revised both the case choice and loop. Bit crazy..
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-09-07, 14:28:38
Reply #47

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
I had to sell my kidney to get that RAM :D  , 1650Eur

For cooling i did change my plans too and went for 2x360 rads.., should be good up to 800W at 10 Celsius delta... , heatkiller iv pro block

For case, R6 was obvious choice, i have R5s now , But then i saw Phanteks Evolve X and  i just could not resist , looks amazing and more space on top for rads then R6..

2018-09-10, 15:06:56
Reply #48

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Board finally came ! :- ) Just waiting for the case here, should come in 3-4 days.
(Looks battered as hell on photo, but the board is fine, no worry)

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2018-09-10, 15:16:50
Reply #49

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Holy crap, is this PC motherboard or spare part for some transformer?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-09-10, 15:38:26
Reply #50

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It's horribly ugly :- ). But those "deconstructed" elements are just pieces of plastics glued onto black square metallic heat sinks.

I would remove them..but that would complicate the warranty process, which isn't best idea for 600 euro board.

2018-09-10, 15:42:24
Reply #51

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks great! I now have available to order the X399 Aorus Extreeme in Hungary and its 450 euros. It's such a tease but I will try to wait 2 more months more just to get a better picture of what is available and best to buy at the moment of purchase... Can't wait to see you Corona bench scores though!

2018-09-10, 15:45:35
Reply #52

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Originally I had bunch of orders at 480 +/- euro from german e-shops, but it all proved to be bust. Local big shop got a copy for 580 so I grabbed that one. I believe this will be the "new" price from now on mostly.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/leo-waldock/msi-meg-x399-creation-the-best-motherboard-ever/

The best motherboard ever would be Aorus layout (4 dual-slot GPUs) + Aorus features (10gbe) + MSI hardware (19 phases), but right now knowing I will never put more than two GPUs inside, it's MSI.
But from the chart you can see if your intended overclock is 3.6 + 3.8 +/- , Aorus should be enough but I would still treasure the stability the additional phases bring to table (35 Degree C difference on VRM)

Lol at Zenith, 120 degree C at 3.8Ghz. Better install that tiny 4cm fan "kit". "Overclocker's dream board".

Who knows what X499 will bring.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-10, 16:25:15 by Juraj Talcik »

2018-09-10, 17:12:40
Reply #53

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
Originally I had bunch of orders at 480 +/- euro from german e-shops, but it all proved to be bust. Local big shop got a copy for 580 so I grabbed that one. I believe this will be the "new" price from now on mostly.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/leo-waldock/msi-meg-x399-creation-the-best-motherboard-ever/

The best motherboard ever would be Aorus layout (4 dual-slot GPUs) + Aorus features (10gbe) + MSI hardware (19 phases), but right now knowing I will never put more than two GPUs inside, it's MSI.
But from the chart you can see if your intended overclock is 3.6 + 3.8 +/- , Aorus should be enough but I would still treasure the stability the additional phases bring to table (35 Degree C difference on VRM)

Lol at Zenith, 120 degree C at 3.8Ghz. Better install that tiny 4cm fan "kit". "Overclocker's dream board".

Who knows what X499 will bring.

Well said.Sadly we can`t have best of both worlds on eATX, and there are no proper x399 workstation boards(WTF). But those VRM on MSI are godly indeed.  I read that article earlier today too, and was quite happy about it. My Aorus should be ok for mid range overclock, exactly what i`m aiming for.  I hope i can tear down that plastic piece of sh** from the top VRM heatsink too, and put two small 30mm fans there to knock down few degrees from VRMs.

2018-09-10, 17:22:45
Reply #54

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
After reading all about the MSI, I had contemplated replacing my x299 board (ROG STRIX-E with 8 phases and only 8+4 pins) on my i9 7980XE workstation. All the "WS" grade boards (like the mammoth Asus SAGE) had surprisingly 8 phases once again. While something much cheaper like AsRock Taichi XE had 13 phases (for CPU only, the much more expensive fatality had 12+2 for memory, so 13 for CPU was the highest of all x299 series.
Funny how x299 boards now start at 200 euros brand new, shows how much that platform really "took off". I expect the same of x599 if it actually materializes at some point.

2018-09-10, 17:27:26
Reply #55

nerfherder

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This thread has been super helpfull for me - my 2990wx and msi board arrived today. I picked the msi based mainly on the vrm and mainly steered towards it from this thread.
All I need now is to find some in stock memory, wait for the Evolv x to be released (or ditch it and go back to Fractal), and wait for the Enermax Liqtech II to be released! I’ve also got massive reservations about the Enermax, but without going custom water cooled and worrying that an air cooler won’t get the temps down enough I’m stuck as to an option.
I never thought the hardest part of this build would be giving shops my money.....

2018-09-10, 17:36:06
Reply #56

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Enermax Liqtech II release date is truly strange. It was being sold on Newegg only but it's not there anymore, not even as "out of stock". It just vanished :- ). I would write them to ask about this (Enermax).

Looks like majority of the units that got made are within prebuilt configurations.

Case: Stick with Fractal for AIO or Air cooler, go with something else for custom loop (like the Evolve). The tall VRM heatsink on MSI is trouble-causer :- ). I need to measure it.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-10, 17:42:35 by Juraj Talcik »

2018-09-10, 18:18:12
Reply #57

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
Juraj, are you going for top radiator too? PE thickness?  It`s tight up there, one of the reasons i go for Evolve X, more space then R6 on top.  The only issue... have to wait for Evolve X 3weeks.. Fans pretty much have to overlap the board... and that VRM heatsink is high..

here is Evolve X with dual 360 rads

2018-09-10, 18:46:59
Reply #58

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I already returned the Define R6. One of the reason I want to show the final case once I start building is I am sort of embarased by the choice :- ) I saw it one of two lesser evils, with the one I chose at least being sort of exotic/unorthodox instead of cosmic shapes.
It hurts my heart Define XL3 doesn't exist.

I am going for 45mm 420mm top radiator with 3x pull 140mm fans, and 60mm 360mm rad in front with 6x120mm push/pull fans.

2018-09-10, 18:51:50
Reply #59

nerfherder

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeap, that top space is my main reason for wanting an Evolv to shove as big a rad in there as possible. Sept 24th seems to be the realise date. Agree with you that a XL3 would be great, I use a XL2 which I love, but now I’ve ended up with an rgb motherboard it seems a shame not to see it 😏