Author Topic: first corona interior tests  (Read 26774 times)

2012-11-02, 10:22:54

white

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello to everyone!

I´m vray user since i started in 3d-visualisation years ago, so i collected a huge library of models and materials - a main reason, why i´ve never worked with other renderers seriously (also unibiased is too slow for my workflow).
Now, it looks like i´ve found a new baby i can play with - the vray-materials converter is damn great and one of the most important tools for me to keep hands on an alternative render to vray if i wanna make really realistic images!
Also the Backgroundimage-material is very helpful and easy to use!
So i´ve tested corona a few days, here you can see my first test-scene...it looked pretty good after 90 minutes. Finally i wanted to stop rendering, when the darker area in the kitchen on the left is clean enough....Resolution is 1600/928...other information you can see in the picture (corona stamp). CPU ist overlocked to 3,8MHz.

All materials are vray-materials converted with corona-converter-tool. Only played a little with opacity of curtains etc...

I´ve done a quick postwork very slightly. Maybe it doens´t look too realistic as i´ve only a cheap monitor...

Render settings are default (except: Precomp Step of HD-cache is "2").

As i´m new to unibiased, i´m not sure if the value "ray/s" (bottom right corner) is an indicator to speed of rendering?

« Last Edit: 2012-11-02, 10:26:29 by eddie »

2012-11-02, 10:57:21
Reply #1

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Try following HDcache settings, as they should make rendering faster in a long run.

Precomp branching: 4
HDCache PT Samples: 512

Direction sensitivity: 3
Position sensitivity: 30
Normal sensitivity: 3

(Rest at default)

Never render final rendering with precomp step larger than 1 ;)

And always make sure glass in your windows has mode set to twosided ;)

2012-11-02, 11:44:04
Reply #2

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Very nice setups! I like the look and feel of your images :)
Since I'm always trying to make the converter better: are there any wishes or suggestions for Vray conversion? MR conversion is pretty much 1:1 already but Vray materials are a bit harder to do ;)
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2012-11-02, 11:46:48
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Nice modern interiors. I think something is wrong with lightness-darkness ratio, though. For example in last render I think background should be much brighter, at least for a photorealistic look. But I may be wrong. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2012-11-02, 11:48:06
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Very nice setups! I like the look and feel of your images :)
Since I'm always trying to make the converter better: are there any wishes or suggestions for Vray conversion? MR conversion is pretty much 1:1 already but Vray materials are a bit harder to do ;)

I use Vray regularly at work so i have some knowledge of VrayMTL, but i will need some time to put proper conversion explanation together ;)

2012-11-02, 12:09:31
Reply #5

andreupuig

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • APtecture
Nice work and nice models.

@DeadClown: I noticed that the vraynormal map obviously is not translated, but it bring to crash when trying to render. I suggest to disable the corona bump map slot after the conversion when there's a vraynormal map in the vray bump map slot, with a warning message with the list of which materials have normals assigned. I had a model with lot of objects and the task to find which object was causing problem was a long and tedious work. I suggest this until corona support normals, if the next release of alpha/beta have normals support and soon to be released discard this. Just my experience. Bye!

2012-11-02, 12:24:25
Reply #6

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Rawalanche: That would be awesome :)
andreupuig: oh.. yes, I forgot this one. I added a warning for the max normalBump map but not for the Vray one, I will add it asap ;)
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2012-11-02, 15:45:12
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I like the pictures exactly because they don't have the sterile photograhic look ;)

Rays/s is the indicator of the crude, brute-force rendering speed. It is higher on better CPUs and in simpler scenes (simple shaders and geometry, only path tracing with no caching), but it does not indicate the rendering speed directly, because some scenes need more rays to converge
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-11-03, 20:08:55
Reply #8

white

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here you can see the new image with settings of Rawalanche...i modified the kitchen material a little (no bump, more glossy...a bit too much now, but doesn´t matter for this tests...)

This is a Raw-render, no postwork...

Rendering was much slower at the beginning (~50 minutes), but seems to be faster later on...

@maru: i´ll upload a new image with brighter background for comparison; as the facade is not lit by the sun i thought to make it a bit darker...

@keymaster: thanks for the infos.

.....still testing....:)

« Last Edit: 2012-11-03, 20:16:36 by eddie »

2012-11-03, 20:45:17
Reply #9

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Looks like you have some raytracing light leaks near the ceiling. Do you have the scene centered out of world origin? You can also probably get rid of them by subdividing the problematic geometry
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-11-06, 06:39:37
Reply #10

white

• Active Users
    • View Profile
no, keymaster...wasn´t out of origin, i think it was bad modeling....

here´s the almost final image...critics are welcome...
it was an overnight render...

ceiling is still a bit noisy, will try to get rid of it (material setting?!)

« Last Edit: 2012-11-06, 06:43:05 by eddie »

2012-11-06, 08:01:03
Reply #11

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
If you are using PT+HD cache and no real glass in windows, then only source of significant noise could be bad curtain material.

You should always watch closely materials of any objects covering light sources, including curtains around windows.

Most common mistake is having opacity-mapped curtains or just some opacity set to them, or having refraction on them without twosided mode set.

2012-11-06, 08:07:36
Reply #12

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I am attaching an example of proper curtain material :)

2012-11-06, 08:12:07
Reply #13

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Lastly, your scene is very dark...  i suggest you brighten it up a bit using intensity multiplier value, and then reduce burn around windows by increasing highlight burn value. And maybe try little brighter floor stone...  or some worn out wood floor :)

2012-11-06, 14:48:22
Reply #14

white

• Active Users
    • View Profile
oohhhhh, Rawalanche; much better...used your curtain material, made it a bit more translucenc, also modified glass material...for a two hours rendering in resolution 2500/1450 its really clean, i think....

brightened up image with intesity value as i wanted to keep a dark floor...