Author Topic: SSS color not working on layered material  (Read 1690 times)

2023-08-19, 01:47:22

Mac3DX

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys,
Please see if I'm doing something wrong or it is indeed a bug.
Note that the color for SSS is not respected in the second material.

2023-08-21, 10:11:00
Reply #1

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Hi there,

You might have better results using the skin shader?
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-08-21, 13:19:40
Reply #2

Mac3DX

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, I appreciate your help but I don't believe Skin shader plays the role of Volumetrics. With all due respect, I've been reporting problems using Volumetrics for a long time and it seems to me that they aren't very concerned about solving such an important feature.
The Directionality resource is crucial, why not implement it in SSS which is much faster than volumetry?
I'm disappointed with all this, would you advise me to give up everything and look for another tool?

2023-08-21, 14:19:45
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Certain things do not layer in the layered material, and SSS is one of them - only the base material's SSS is accounted for (used to be the same with displacement, but we've made improvements there). For now you will either have to blend the SSS colors and use the blend in the base material, or can use some other single-shader solution such as the skin shader.

Sorry you are having repeat problems. We always have to prioritize what we can work on, based on how often it occurs, how many people it affects, how many people report it, how complex it is to change or fix, and so on, which is more of an art than a science and we even broke it down in detail in a blog at https://blog.corona-renderer.com/behind-the-scenes-the-corona-renderer-development-process/ .

Best regards,
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-09-14, 16:54:06
Reply #4

Mac3DX

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Seriously, layer node no longer works in the bump channel? You Must be kidding.

2023-09-14, 17:52:24
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Not sure what you mean, the discussion here was never about bump but subsurface scattering?

2023-09-14, 17:58:37
Reply #6

Mac3DX

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The discussion here is not about taking care not to screw up what was already working and not complicate the lives of hundreds of users who depended on these resources. If you prefer, I can open another topic but I think you can take notes and report to the developers if you see fit.

2023-09-14, 18:04:02
Reply #7

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I am still confused - are you saying you are having problems with layering bump, where you didn't have problems before? We would indeed need a new thread, with an example of just what you mean, as that would be a separate issue from the one here (and not something I am aware of, I tested blending bump with the layered mtl just now and it was fine....)

2023-09-15, 08:49:11
Reply #8

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Can you please share a test scene of what you mean?
« Last Edit: 2023-09-15, 09:44:17 by Beanzvision »
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-09-15, 16:44:05
Reply #9

Mac3DX

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did you set the projection to texture? It doesn't make sense to use procedurals having to open UVs. Because here still not working. Can you provide your file so I can take a look at it?

2023-09-18, 17:05:01
Reply #10

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Outside of the issue, to help speed along useful answers from us, please note this really needs to have been a separate thread as
a) It's not about Subsurface Scattering
b) It's not even about the Layered Material after all, but the Layered Shader, and the C4D native one rather than one of the Corona ones that blend maps together (according to the latest screengrab)

Also,
c) Information like "using projection set to texture" was important information

I think now we might have the information needed to investigate the issue, as now we know what the issue is :) Just things to bear in mind for the future, as this has meant we've been unable to look into what you are reporting through not knowing what is being reported, so we've been unable to help you until now.

2023-09-19, 13:06:18
Reply #11

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
I believe this has come up before multiple times and the answer (for now) is still as it was mentioned here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=38676.msg207059#msg207059
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!