Author Topic: Rendering for VR - Cube map  (Read 884 times)

2022-04-14, 20:29:46

ianosss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. I'm trying to render some images for VR tours to use with Oculus. I was just wondering what resolution people use when doing cube maps? I've heard a few times to render it at 18432 x 1536. Problem I have is Corona always crashes when its rendering. (I've tried around 6-7 times) Also I tried rendering wihthout any materials just plain white material, but still crashes. Any advice much appreciated. :)

Just to add also... I see Oculus Quest resolution is 1832 x 1920. So should I be rendering at 23040 x 1920? Thanks.

2022-04-14, 21:22:41
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
At a guess you are running out of memory. How much RAM do you have? Things you can try to reduce memory needs - ensure you are not rendering any lightmix layers or additional render elements. See if you can render without denoising. You can enable the "Conserve memory (slower)" option in the Performance settings tab in the Render Settings.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-04-15, 10:11:03
Reply #2

ianosss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the fast reply Tom. I thought it maybe ram, as once when it crashed a memory error came up and I got a blue screen. I have 64GB ram. I had a look at how much ram is being used when rendering and it says 16GB. The scene I'm testing isn't too complex. Also I tried rendering just an empty room and still got a crash.

2022-04-15, 14:04:33
Reply #3

ianosss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think its now working ok... I did a Bios update and so far after 2 renders its not crashing.

2022-04-15, 16:04:59
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Good to hear things seem to be working - if crashes return, please use "Submit a request" on support.chaos.com to let us know details (things like Corona version, host app and version, OS and version, the minidump or bugreport.txt, a copy of the scene file if possible, etc.) and we can investigate, since it does not sound like it is running out of memory. Hopefully though all will continue to work as expected :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us