Author Topic: Gipsoteca Revisited  (Read 2682 times)

2020-03-04, 21:37:29

prince_jr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
GIPSOTECA REVISITED

Hi everyone

I'd like to share my first personal project with you, using corona v5 and c4d.
Everything except the background (environment/sky) is rendered. Plaster models found on stlfinder.

I hope you like my work so far.
Comments are welcome. ;o)

2020-03-05, 05:56:52
Reply #1

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I really like the overall aesthetic of this scene, nice work +1 It is lit entirely with sun / sky?

2020-03-05, 13:14:42
Reply #2

prince_jr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thx for your kind words, cjwidd.
I only used a hdri from hdrihaven for the whole scene. There are 2 additional (smaller) windows in the upper corners of the building, which help to lighten up the room (see plan floor and facade). That's why you can see some other lightrays hitting the floor.

2020-03-05, 20:51:29
Reply #3

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
You've done a good job of balancing different off white tones, which in addition to the surface grunge, really enhances the realism.

I was just commenting on the Scandanavian Teaser scene which is also posted to the gallery at the moment, and the author also used only an HDRi. I've experienced so much frustration going back and forth with different HDRis, then tonemapping, trying again, etc. I'm curious, do you have any thoughts on this?

1. Did end up adjusting the HDRi (e.g. gamma, saturation) to fit the scene?
2. Did you use a rayswitch material (or anything like that) in the scene to address blow-outs or color bleed?
3. How did you approach tonemapping? White can be notoriously difficult to balance, but you've achieved great depth in these images.

2020-03-06, 11:07:03
Reply #4

prince_jr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I must confess I put a lot of time in these renderings. It's a personal, non commercial project. I didn't have to comply with a deadline.

1. Yes, i tweaked the hdri, as you can see in the attached file > but only gamma.
    In post production I used object masks to adjust saturation of the walls and sculptures
2. No, i didn't use a ray switch material. Corona devs and super users may now intervene...I pushed the highlight compression and contrast up to "3" or even "5".
3. Before i began to work on this project I studied a lot of images on google from the gipsoteca.
    I was looking for a desaturated but still yellowish room atmosphere. I guess the floor, the hdri and the LUT may have helped to get an overall warm mood.
    The most difficult part for me was to achieve the grunge on the walls, sculptures and concrete/black metal parts.

I am new to 3d rendering. Maybe i did wrong a lot in case of setting up the scene or tweaking materials. But I'm a photographer (primarily architecture), too...and this influences my cgi work a lot > camera angle, composition, colours, contrast, depth of field etc.
But at the end it lies in the eye of the beholder...design is subjective. ;o)

2020-03-06, 17:16:42
Reply #5

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Really helpful description, thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to provide a detailed review :)

2020-03-06, 18:53:36
Reply #6

prince_jr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You're welcome! I hope it'll help you to get over your struggles with hdri. ;o)

2020-03-07, 09:36:21
Reply #7

redpix

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, great renders but there is something missing. Something about Scarpa's mood: angular windows are no more holes in the walls but "structure". The light generates different vertical planes and depth. You can see what i mean in the attached image done using simple burn tool.

2020-03-08, 12:46:55
Reply #8

prince_jr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@redpix
I know what you mean. Maybe all pictures are a bit too bright and there's a need for more contrast/depth.
But I think you pushed your version too much. It definitely looses the realism and photographical touch...it looks like a hdr image.
I did a quick comparison / 2nd version...i wouldn't go further than these adjustments.