Significantly faster DOF (Depth of Field) rendering
25 (5.4%)
Sketch/Toon/Stylized shader
29 (6.2%)
Dedicated CarPaint Shader
7 (1.5%)
Dedicated fabrics shader
27 (5.8%)
Lightmix extended to materials, textures, ...
27 (5.8%)
Interactive rendering in 3ds max viewport (with gizmos, object selection, manipulation, ...)
16 (3.4%)
Rendering memory usage improvements
16 (3.4%)
Speed of rendering improvements
42 (9%)
Speed of interactive rendering improvements specifically
31 (6.7%)
GPU/Hybrid rendering
88 (18.9%)
Stability improvements (bug fixes)
12 (2.6%)
Improvements to caustics
23 (4.9%)
Thin film/coating shader
5 (1.1%)
Parsing performance optimization (e.g. for animations)
40 (8.6%)
New and better frame buffer (docked and floating)
23 (4.9%)
Further improvements to Chaos Scatter
15 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author Topic: The most wanted feature?  (Read 524226 times)

2020-03-02, 20:31:05
Reply #795

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Guys, let's not forget that there was a tragedy in between.
On top of the low morale at certain point, it's a small team too.
Changing the roadmap is totally understandable under those circumstances.

2020-03-02, 20:43:42
Reply #796

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile

It's too bad there's not a "plus" or "thumbs-up" button under this post :)

2020-03-02, 21:04:30
Reply #797

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile

And so the advocating began.
Did someone from the team mentioned the tragedy ? I heard only about hackaton and the subject being more complex than initially it looked to be.
You also missed the chronology a bit.
The unfortunate passing of Yaroslaw (may He rest in peace!) occured somewhere around the beginning of December. I posted about PBR being in the works around 19th of December in the daily builds thread (and I check trello rather frequently) so it appeared on Trello around that date I believe.
It would be understandable that in the above circumstances the development period for V6 would have been prolonged securing enough time to deliver the features.
Anyway the discussion has aparently no point as we seem to have a new definition of a roadmap and long awaited features can be postponed at any given time :)
Guess you can either stay and live with that or leave looking for alternatives :)

2020-03-02, 21:27:14
Reply #798

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

It's too bad there's not a "plus" or "thumbs-up" button under this post :)

Yeah I mentioned they'd been through a rough time further up to try and calm the waters but nobody seemed to pick up on it.

2020-03-02, 22:29:28
Reply #799

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
" a new definition of a roadmap and long awaited features can be postponed at any given time :)
Guess you can either stay and live with that or leave looking for alternatives :)"

Not a new definition at all, the roadmap has always been like that, and features are never promised for that very reason - that they can change at any time. We only promise something once we are absolutely sure it can be done, with all the factors that go into such a decision - but we'll keep you informed before things reach that concrete stage (with the understanding that everyone realizes these are not promises, and it's better to know what our current plans are even if those might change, than be totally in the dark :) )
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-03-02, 22:35:24
Reply #800

JViz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
+1
« Last Edit: 2020-03-02, 22:50:48 by JViz »
Although a purist, my work is anything but.
https://www.behance.net/ImageInnate

2020-03-02, 22:36:06
Reply #801

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well Tom, seems like you didn't understand my message, will try to be more concise.

There are 2 possible attitudes:

1. We tell you the roadmap is not a promise. if you don't understand it its YOUR FAULT.
2. If most people understand something different from what we intended, we need to do something different (stop calling it a roadmap, explain the changes before editing the roadmap, etc)

Seems like you are choosing number 1. I'm telling you number 2 is always the right option, hope this helps

2020-03-02, 22:42:51
Reply #802

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There's the thing, I don't think "most people" don't understand what our roadmap is and represents, I think most of them do. Still, if we come up with a new name that might clarify it better for more people, then sure we can call it something else.

BTW, I don't know if anyone has followed a "roadmap" for a significant journey in real life and not ended up a) stopping at unforeseen times for a rest stop b) being detoured due to construction, accidents, and other unforeseen things c) taking a wrong turn d) changing chosen route for various other reasons, such as deciding that since you are close by it would be a great time to visit that place you have always wanted to go to. So I am not sure the general meaning of a "roadmap" is something that is absolutely fixed and will not change, even change significantly... always welcome to suggest a better name though :)

2020-03-02, 22:54:30
Reply #803

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You might be right and most people get it (you can see in my original message that I understand it 100%, since as you said, anyone who has worked with roadmaps knows what's the deal) But in my experience, most consumers are not used to working with roadmaps, so the concept is a little more foreign to them.

Based on the replies to this thread, it seems like a lot of people don't share our understanding of roadmap, hence my suggestion.

2020-03-02, 23:02:46
Reply #804

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I'll definitely give it some thought to see if there is a short yet meaningful title that might be clearer to more folks (assuming, that is, that trello will let that be changed without breaking links etc.). Or there might be some way to embed the "caveats" on the trello page someplace. Making things clearer is never a bad thing if we can find a way!

2020-03-02, 23:04:28
Reply #805

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another idea.

Create a buffer list in Trello between BIG POOL and VERSION 6.  This might be called something like (Feature being researched)

This would be the features that you are CONSIDERING adding to the next version, but still have low confidence.

You would add features to the "VERSION 6" list once they clear a certain threshold, maybe when you are confident enough they will be in it, that you can almost call it a promise.

Another benefit is that you can add a reason why it moves forward or back: "Moved back to big pool because it will take more time than expected". "moved to Version 6 because the code is almost done and it's awesome"

2020-03-02, 23:35:57
Reply #806

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Roadmap definition aside. Is there a particular reason why user requested features are the ones that get put aside for developer features? The pool for big ideas is like a who's who of past poll winners and megathread discussion topics.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-02, 23:41:45 by Jpjapers »

2020-03-02, 23:53:04
Reply #807

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Roadmap definition aside. Is there a particular reason why user requested features are the ones that get put aside for developer features? The pool for big ideas is like a who's who of past poll winners and megathread discussion topics.

It would be nice to know. +1

2020-03-03, 00:02:16
Reply #808

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1
it really doesn't matter how people relate to the roadmap. The important thing is whether they get the features they ask for, and if so, how soon?

2020-03-03, 00:15:54
Reply #809

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1
it really doesn't matter how people relate to the roadmap. The important thing is whether they get the features they ask for, and if so, how soon?

+1 and if they do not get the features they ask for, why they dont get those features since they pay for the product ?