Author Topic: CoronaSkinMTL and SSS shading error  (Read 2391 times)

2021-04-26, 16:16:49

plopalou

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

CoronaSkinMtl produces weird artifacts when you render geometry, Hair&Fur and lights that produce strong back scatter effects. The hair object needs to be close to the object that uses CoronaSkinMTL. This usually happens in the ears of human characters. I have not found any workarounds to avoid the bug.

Example file rendered with digital Emily model and standard 3dsmax hair and fur object.

I'm using 3dsmax 2017 Corona 6 hotfix 1.

Thanks!

2021-04-30, 15:12:39
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Is this happening only in IR or also in production rendering?
Could you send a simple scene demonstrating this? (like hair growing on a teapot or similar)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-04-30, 15:55:24
Reply #2

plopalou

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It happens both IR and production rendering. Also the shading error occurs when u enable SSS from CoronaMtl. I attached the example scene.

2021-04-30, 17:23:43
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thank you! I will check it.

2021-05-04, 17:43:29
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I am happy to confirm that I was able to reproduce the issue in Corona 6, and unable to reproduce it in the 21.04 V7 daily build. This most likely means that the issue is fixed.
If you are interested in checking this yourself, you can grab a daily build here: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000570015-corona-renderer-for-3ds-max-daily-builds

Unfortunately I am unable to provide any workaround or solution to this for Corona 6.

2021-05-06, 15:36:56
Reply #5

plopalou

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Maru! Looks like it was related to a memory leak. Fortunately currently I don't have any critical client work that this bug affects. I'll grab the latest daily build and start testing the new features.