Author Topic: Resume from file (channel Rest is always missed).  (Read 2879 times)

2021-04-01, 18:20:30

Grisha_J

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello everybody,

I am not sure if this issue has been discussed yet, but it has been lasting since v.5, and now when I've switched to v.6 this issue still presents.
When I try to resume from the saved cxr file - the channel "Rest" is always missed. However, it exists in the same cxr file when I open it through the Corona Image Editor.
Can someone shed some light on it, please?

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: 2021-04-01, 18:50:51 by Grisha_J »

2021-04-02, 11:02:43
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Interesting! When this happens do you have denoising set to on?
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2021-04-03, 05:32:37
Reply #2

Grisha_J

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I do,
Before V.5 I used V1.7 and everything was good.
Yesterday I tried V.1.7 one more time (just for testing) and did not have this issue. So definitely, this bug appears in the newer versions.
Can someone try a quick test and confirm the same problem, please?

2021-04-05, 15:09:47
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Would need more details on the workflow steps please.

I did this
- Open scene
- Set up LightMix automatically, based on groups
- The Rest (unassigned) is there, but is empty (all lights are assigned to something)
- Render
- Save CXR
- Resume from CXR
- The Rest (unassigned) layer remains showing in the VFB

So questions are things like
- Are you loading and using a scene where the LightMix was set up in a previous version? Remembering that Rest (unassigned) changed to allow it to be denoised, it would be best to regenerate the LightMix in the newer version of Corona if the scene was set up in a version before that was possible.
- Is there actually something in the Rest (unassigned) layer?
- What do you mean by it being "missed"? a) The layer no longer shows in the VFB LightMix or b) it shows, but it is not getting extra passes added to it during the resumed rendering?
- Are you closing and reopening Max or loading a different scene then going back to this one?

Thanks!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-04-05, 15:15:41
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I then did this in the same test scene

- Add a new lightsource, so it is not in any LightSelects
- Render, save CXR
- Resume from file - the Rest layer remains showing in the VFB, and does show getting cleaned up as passes progress so it is being calculated.

(all this done in Corona 6 HF 1, Max 2021)

2021-04-06, 06:14:40
Reply #5

Grisha_J

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tom, thank you for your response.
Following your questions:
1. Yes, I have this issue with the scenes from v.1.7 as I change my old projects all the time.
2. Yes, sometimes I leave unassigned light sources in the Rest channel as it's more convenient for me, and more importantly very often I use the Rest channel for the environment illumination in interior scenes (basically for skylight).
The resumed image appears without daylight from windows which ​makes the rendering in VFB much darker and unrealistic.
3. Sorry, the Rest channel is in the list of the resumed cxr file during the rendering process (I checked it one more time) however it looks like this channel is empty (does not contain any information), in other words when I click on the check box to show or hide it - nothing happens, the image stays dark without daylight from windows.
If I click on the same checkbox in the saved cxr file, then the Rest channel appears or disappears in VFB - in other words works normally.

If, as you mentioned the Rest (unassigned) channel/ layer has been changed in the newer versions then why it works normally in the saved cxr file, but does not work in the resumed?

2021-04-06, 14:58:21
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There's a difference in rendering into the layer (now that it has changes that allow it to be denoised) and simply reading what is there (which is what the CXR does). I would suggest rebuilding the LightMix in the new version if loading in an old version, see if that does indeed work (you may just need to try doing something like remove the lights from the Rest layer, and then add them back in, that may be enough, not sure).