Author Topic: Beauty Pass Vs Lightmix  (Read 2933 times)

2021-04-17, 04:44:50

Dferrer3

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, me and my partners in the office started to used Corona render about 2 weeks ago, we're migrating from vray and there's still a lot to learn. I wanted to know what is the best approach or workflow between using the Beauty pass vs Lightmix to render. Is it better to make the GI/ lights setup directly on Max and have the Beauty pass ''correct'' or is it better to configure GI/ lights directly in the Lightmix / Frame Buffer? I've read about some of the Lightmix limitations, but some collegues prefer the Ligthmix approach no matter what. If you can clarify which would be the best method it will help us a lot. Btw, sorry for my english.

2021-04-19, 14:49:28
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi! There is no best method really, it comes down to personal preference. LightMix is really originally intended to be for when you know you will want to adjust the lighting after rendering, e.g. you know your client wants an evening, noon, and early morning shot, or they want to see the same shot lit by colder blue LEDs version warmer yellow conventional bulbs. In which case, there is no choice other than LightMix (well, except for rendering twice, but that's time consuming :) ).

However, now that LightMix is there, a lot of people have adapted their workflow so that it is "don't care so much about tweaking the lighting before you render, do most of that after rendering." Which is perfectly fine, and just a matter of choice usually (and then it opens up the option to respond to client requests of "the sun is too bright" without having to re-render... so kind of an "insurance policy" in that too :) ).

The only exceptions to it being only a workflow choice is a) LightMix uses more memory so that might be a concern if your machine has limited RAM and b) LightMix may take slightly longer to render due to having to denoise all the LightSelects (still faster than re-rendering the whole scene multiple times, of course!)

So overall, in most cases, either approach is fine, whatever the artist prefers :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-04-20, 16:48:57
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I would say it is best to use the Beauty pass as the base and LightMix only for further adjustments because you can turn a white light into a colored light, but you cannot turn a colored light into a white light (so if you use white lights in the beauty and then color them with LightMix - it will be fine; but not the other way around).
Also, if you wish, you can push the LightMix settings into the scene (using the >Scene button in the LightMix tab) to turn your Beauty pass into LightMix. Note: this cannot be reversed, unless you save a backup of your scene or use scene states (which are known to be buggy).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-05-03, 23:19:09
Reply #3

Dferrer3

• Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for the information guys this helps a lot!

I've seen some post about the noise you get sometimes in lightmix pass, so this would probably means that the lights have wrongs settings from the beggining in the scene (beauty pass)?

What I mean to say is: A scene that is burned out by Gi or another lights / A scene that is dark because its lacks or have bad Gi/ lights.

Would you possibly have noise problems in the lightmix when configuring and correcting the render in the VFB?

2021-06-29, 17:56:07
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thank you for the information guys this helps a lot!

I've seen some post about the noise you get sometimes in lightmix pass, so this would probably means that the lights have wrongs settings from the beggining in the scene (beauty pass)?

What I mean to say is: A scene that is burned out by Gi or another lights / A scene that is dark because its lacks or have bad Gi/ lights.

Would you possibly have noise problems in the lightmix when configuring and correcting the render in the VFB?

Sorry for the delay, and I am not sure if I fully understand your message, but:

It doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the lights. This is just because Corona considers light intensities when rendering and the rendering is optimized based on those intensities. If you change intensity a lot using LightMix (e.g. make a very bright light dim or make a very dim light very bright), then this optimization is not working any more and you will see noise.

Yes. Using extreme values may easily lead to noise. Even if you don't use LightMix, but for example only adjust the exposure in the VFB, you may encounter some issues, see:
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000517899-exposure-changes-when-i-start-rendering-
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us