Author Topic: Corona scatter and UV randomiser wooden siding questions  (Read 1296 times)

2022-05-25, 02:09:12

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
Is it possible using Corona scatter to have wooden siding at different width's boards at a certain stepping but with a fixed seam width. Like every boards is at least 7 mm apart. I tried with avoid collisions, that worked but the seams are too random still.

I am also wondering if its possible to have the pine material cubic projection random set for each board to avoid knots and grain unrealistically matching for each next board.
I tried the UV randomiser but did not get a proper result. Most likely cubic does not work here or I just don't understand the UV randomiser very well.

Attachment is a quick render with Corona scatter and the pine semigloss material from the material library.
I like the random width and thickness of the boards but the seams are random too which is what I am trying to avoid. The material itself looks excellent but the cubic projection would be better if for each board at a different unique location.

Any help appreciated. As an architect I work a lot with wooden siding. Not always I like to work with displacement materials. Its often more reailstic to have actual geometry.
« Last Edit: 2022-05-25, 02:20:00 by frv »

2022-05-25, 14:16:49
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Not as far as I know, as this would require Scatter to be aware of the size of the geometry before scattering and mathematically go "Ok so the next scatter should be 6 inches from the first, but this one is an 8 inch board now, so the next scatter should be 8 inches away". Instead it scatters by fixed pattern or randomly (and then avoid collisions simply removes anything that happens to overlap after the fact).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-05-25, 14:18:29
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Closest suggestion I can think of is to build a set of three or four "groups" of the boards where the boards in that group add up to being exactly the same width as every other group, then scatter them at fixed distances.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-05-25, 14:36:56
Reply #3

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tx Tom,
your idea of grouping sets is great. That will work for sure.

The other question becomes then even more important on how to randomise the position of the cubic mappings per scattered sets.

Just wanted to mention again that the quality of the Chaos library material semigloss pine is amazing. You can almost smell the wood.

2022-05-25, 15:58:41
Reply #4

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Late to the party, but I found a script written by Peter Notz from 2012 on my HDD that might come in handy. He posted it on a forum back in the days and magically it still works!
Put a group of objects under the parent, select a gap width and Bob's you uncle.

I hope it can be of some help for you.

Michael

2022-05-25, 17:03:34
Reply #5

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
He tx Cinemike
just tried it and indeed works very well. Even with a Boole.

I am just wondering if Corona scatter could come up with something simular. Setting gab width is common in my line off work. I would be fantastatic if scatter would be able to vary board width with a constant gab width for a given total length of scattered objects. Maybe a grasshopper project...

2022-05-25, 17:56:06
Reply #6

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice, glad I could help out.

About the randomization: I must admit that I am still using the Variation shader for that, I got used to it somehow :)

2022-05-25, 22:59:04
Reply #7

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes that's a great little piece of code. Hope it will make it into Chaos Scatter.

I will have a look at the variation shader.