Author Topic: Iridescent material - another thread?  (Read 1892 times)

2021-12-16, 20:17:00

dacian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I saw this popping up from time to time but the solutions seem deprecated.
Can anyone please help me with an Iridescent material in C4d?
It can be easily done in Redshift without any textures. Is there really no modern solution in Corona, since this is really the renderer I prefer?

Edit: sorry for posting in the wrong thread
« Last Edit: 2021-12-16, 20:36:31 by dacian »

2021-12-16, 21:41:38
Reply #1

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Show an example of what you want to achieve exactly please. I don't see that there is a problem here. It should be perfectly acheivable
Either an coloured gradient fresnel in the reflection slot or a thin film shader shoulds both work fine.
« Last Edit: 2021-12-16, 21:45:30 by davetwo »

2021-12-16, 22:38:25
Reply #2

dacian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was watching this redshift tutorial on youtube and that's a great result at the end of the video.
I'd like to achieve something like that in Corona.

2021-12-17, 08:15:49
Reply #3

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As I said. very simple.
Just put the (native C4D) Thin Film shader in the reflection colour slot. Colours can be controlled by the 'thickness' setting within the thin film dialogue.

2021-12-17, 15:07:32
Reply #4

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Although... In fairness i would also like to know a technique for building this in the new Physical material too.

Any Corona people got a good workflow now that the reflection colour is not in the material? The Legacy method doesnt work anymore.

2021-12-18, 11:13:47
Reply #5

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thin Film still doesn't work properly with Physical.
Legacy works fine.

2021-12-19, 20:33:26
Reply #6

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would look into using C4D's Fresnel Shader in the Clearcoat channel. Looks pretty nice. I started with a Physical Chrome material, added some Roughness, then turned on the Clearcoat, added the Fresnel Shader to the Absorbtion section and used a rainbow preset (two toruses). The second image was picking some colors from your example and adding some shapes that have many angles. In the third image, I randomly changes the rotation of the cloned shapes to show how the colors are a little different since the angles have changed.

If you're not familiar with how Fresnel works, it's based on surface (normals I suspect) angles from the camera's point of view. The colors will appear different depending on the angle of your shot. If you rotate the objects or move the camera, the colors appear to change. Not sure if that's a good explanation or not.

2021-12-20, 11:40:03
Reply #7

dacian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for the solutions guys!