Author Topic: Rendering Fuzz on clothing with material ID's  (Read 2217 times)

2021-05-27, 09:03:38

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I would like to present you with a challenge.
For our company I have been given the task to create a fuzz layer on top of existing 3d models.
The models are clothing items from Clo3d which are really high poly and have a lot of materials in a multi sub object material.
For the fuzz I'm simply scattering a lot of squiggly lines (edit poly), 8 different ones in total. I'm using forest pack for this, the corona scatter fails in some area's to place the fuzz correct on the surface.
The whole setup needs to be able to be automated in the future, so less (simpler) is more.

There are two problems I'm facing, one of which I think I can fix with the new version 7 of Forest Pack.

One

Assigning the fuzz to a few material id's only. The fuzz needs to be seen on clothing but not on stitches (which are also 3d geometry in the same model)
With the new version of forest pack I can use reference distribution with material id's it seems, this would fix my first issue.

Two

I need to assign a single Forest pack that will show multiple textures acquired from the material id's. For instance a t-shirt can have a body with a striped black and white texture  but the collar is full red.
I want the forest pack to use multiple textures as a color input that go with the id's from the model.
So far I have tried using the Forest color, but that doesn't seem to work, also tried the corona multi map but that also doesn't work.

I could try exporting the clothing from clo as individual objects instead of a single piece of clothing but that will maybe create other problems in our pipeline.

I managed to create some really nice renders with the fuzz by detaching every single material id and creating a forest pack for each one but that is not the way to go for us.

It seems that forest pack creates it's own multi subobject material with all the materials but the scattered meshes don't have a clue on which material ID surface part they are scattered. Is there a way to make the forest pack material 'look' at those properties?

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

2021-05-27, 09:04:10
Reply #1

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Example file

2021-05-27, 11:44:34
Reply #2

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I managed to create some really nice renders with the fuzz by detaching every single material id and creating a forest pack for each one but that is not the way to go for us.

Hi
Didn't solve it using single FP object, but realized that you can keep your geometry not exploded by mat IDs by using Surf.Mat.ID field in Areas rollout. In this case you can create multiple FP objects for each mat ID, multiple fuzz objects with corresponding materials and use single mesh to scatter them on like on attached picture

2021-05-27, 13:49:42
Reply #3

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yess, I'm going to set this up and test it right away, this will save the programmers some work :-) Thanks man.

2021-05-27, 14:36:44
Reply #4

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I checked your solution and unfortunately the surf. mat. id is greyed out. I'm using an UV based surface distribution because the XY will not scatter evenly across my whole surface.